Devils Vs Flames - League - 31st Dec 22 - 16:00 FO

Ejercito Rojas

Happy New Year all!
Great win last night. Guildford have a great team and a relentless work ethic and they had us pinned into our zone on many occasions but this is a "new" Devils team now. We’re playing more of a "team d" game now, we’re bending under pressure not breaking under pressure like we have been (that Belfast game as an example) as a result we’re looking far more solid defensively.

Which brings me to my next observation, Taran Kozun.
I don’t think it’s coincidence that with Kozun’s run of games the results and defensive performances have vastly improved. Let me just say at this point, that this is not a "have a pop at Bowns" exercise so I’m only going to comment on Kozun.
Kozun plays square to the shooter, plays at the top of his crease, cuts down the angles and as a result rarely gets caught out of position.
Kozun is a technically gifted NM not flashy just very, very good. Ring any bells?
Lets be fair we were outshot and out chanced in our last few games but Kozun has been immense!

From "Little Brittain" to "Brittain’s Got Talent "!
Josh Brittain playing centre, what a transformation. Last night was as close to having Stephen Dixon back as you could get, short of having Stephen Dixon back!
Brittain was great on the face off dot, he drove the net, he forechecked and got great hands for such a big body.
Combine that with Fournier (great debut by the way) and the non stop energy, speed and skill of Waller and we had a line that Guildford couldn’t handle at all!

Finally, a shout out to SK BP CS KH and TK, changes/additions were needed and changes were made.

A very big well done from me.

Onwards and upwards tonight in Guildford and let’s get back to giving Sheffield their ritual spanking on Thursday!

Last edited:

Pembo

Fournier randomly screaming the loudest F bomb I’ve ever heard first period while skating back for a line change + top tier keeper screening throughout = instant cult hero status from me! Coughler was game changing mid season acquisition hopefully this will be another inspired signing. Happy new year everyone!

osh

Some people on here are looking a bit foolish now after recents comments condemning DuPont to be sacked and likewise comments this team won’t challenge and is the worst in Devils History or very near to that !!!
Disagree with your comment, sorry. I don’t think anyone who quite rightly criticited very poor performances in previous months and who stated that changed needed to be made are looking foolish whatsoever. It’s obvious that the team were not performing as expected and in fact at times merely looked as though they were going through the motions. Changes have been made, and no doubt players were told that unless they startEd to pull their fingers out, they might be heading out the door.
suffice to say that changes have been made, players are starting to perform as we hoped for and lately it’s far more entertaining to see us play as we are used to in the past. So credit where it’s due, early days with the recent changes, let’s hope for a continuation of the same. Happy new year !

E.D.S.

Disagree with your comment, sorry. I don’t think anyone who quite rightly criticited very poor performances in previous months and who stated that changed needed to be made are looking foolish whatsoever. It’s obvious that the team were not performing as expected and in fact at times merely looked as though they were going through the motions. Changes have been made, and no doubt players were told that unless they startEd to pull their fingers out, they might be heading out the door.
suffice to say that changes have been made, players are starting to perform as we hoped for and lately it’s far more entertaining to see us play as we are used to in the past. So credit where it’s due, early days with the recent changes, let’s hope for a continuation of the same. Happy new year !
Agree. Just don't understand these kinds of comments about looking foolish. Does the same apply the other way if we don't win the league? Nope. The team were poor. They were rightly criticised. The coach has to shoulder the blame for that. The team are moving in the right direction but we could still end up 4th even 5th. Equally, we could finished 1st or 2nd but there's no shame in coming on a forum that's about the team and commenting on the team.

The_Stick_

I completely agree criticism of DuPont was called for, but I do not believe it was fair to be calling for his head within his first 4 months of full time coaching.

lloyd_jeff

Any new coach, whether that be to the league or the job will need time & mistakes inevitable. Those who didn’t realise this are the foolish ones. It’s now up to Dupont to keep the team playing well, the opposition will react, tonight might swing the other way.