Devils Vs Flames - League - 26th Feb 23 - 16:00 FO

I don’t associate any of your posts with good humour! And I didn't see a joke in the original post either - just someone criticising a lack of posts when we won (your old trick!), when he couldn’t be bothered to go to the game or get the webcast. It’s a bit rich!
'Couldn't be bothered to go or get the webcast'
Seriously !? Maybe they couldn't afford it or maybe they had something more pressing/important to do.

What an awful post.

Slartibartfast

That first period was the best period I have seen all season and the rest of the game was pretty good also. Physical, hard working, great forechecking, great back checking, Bowns heroics in goal (he must have read my comment on the Nottingham game). If only we could play like that every game.

I haven't enjoyed many games this season but I loved this one.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #64
Very entertaining game. I have to admit I expected nothing from tonight after last weeks effort but I was resoundingly proved wrong. The team played like they should be given the standings.
I’d be very disappointed if there was any further bans for the post game scuffles, the refs should have cleared the Flames off the ice as soon as it started getting heated. It was them that lost control, not the coaches. We play like that for the rest of our games and let’s see where we end up. And don’t make Brandt the healthy scratch.

E.D.S.

Great contribution to the thread as usual. And liked by the usual suspect! Give people a chance, I’ve only just got home. Unlike you, who couldn’t be bothered to go!
Bizarre, isn't it?! If they actually contributed to the forum more than just one aimless post then the post and page count, which they obsess over, would be higher - I don't know if that's 'ironic' or just plain daft.

Kevlar68

Great result, much needed 2 point win but I really can't get my head around this team, so inconsistent.
So what would be the least acceptable end to this season? 2nd place and final spot in playoff for Dupont to earn another season?
Realistically we can't expect to win trophies season after season but at least be competing at the highest level every season.

Samael

As has already been stated winning last night has only helped Belfast who l see absolutely mauling us on the double header.

I didn't see last night's game and haven't seen one in a while but l'm glad to read that people found it an entertaining match and the team played with some grit. Fingers crossed his can continue.

terry hunt

Sat next to 2 Pitbulls fans again this week.They are enjoying the Devils games.
They told me that Bayley Harewood is on top form for them.
More interesting was the signing of Max Birbraer as cover for the rest of the season.He was outstanding in his first game.
I remember him as a class physical player for us and a real Devil.Seems to have kept pretty fit.
I wonder how he would do as a IR cover for us???

Kevin roog

I posted at the start of the panthers thread before the weekend, panthers 5 devils 1 and then devils 3 Guildford 2, and I think that’s how this team is, a defeat and then a wake up call and then they perform, I bet if we beat panthers that we would have lost last night , they have showed how they can play last night , unfortunately Belfast don’t seem to need so many wake up calls

kettdevil1

Sat next to 2 Pitbulls fans again this week.They are enjoying the Devils games.
They told me that Bayley Harewood is on top form for them.
More interesting was the signing of Max Birbraer as cover for the rest of the season.He was outstanding in his first game.
I remember him as a class physical player for us and a real Devil.Seems to have kept pretty fit.
I wonder how he would do as a IR cover for us???
I have seen Harewood a few times this season and he has been good at that level but I am not 100% certain about him at EIHL on the evidence so far - this seems harsh but do we need another forward who is excellent going forward but whose defensive positioning is not a strong point? Someone (I think Todd?) said that one of our four 2-ways is close to an EIHL contract and on the evidence I have seen, I think Kelly might be ahead of him.

Loved Max in his day and delighted he got the GWG on debut for the Pitbulls but.... his time at this level is up unfortunately

tim78

Apologies for such a general observational comment having such a personal impact upon you.

Again, to the team 'well done'.

kettdevil1

I posted at the start of the panthers thread before the weekend, panthers 5 devils 1 and then devils 3 Guildford 2, and I think that’s how this team is, a defeat and then a wake up call and then they perform, I bet if we beat panthers that we would have lost last night , they have showed how they can play last night , unfortunately Belfast don’t seem to need so many wake up calls
Hmmmm for me this is a bit oversimplified. We lost on Saturday because we ran into a hot NM, were not quite clinical enough in front of nets, had three superb goals against us and a player who put in a great shift throughout made an error. None of these things required wake up calls for me, it's simply evidence that whilst we remain a good team at this level, we need to make a step up if we are to be champions.

Kevin roog

Yes that’s this weekend, what about the rest of the season, how many times have we been flat, even in the program a few times before Xmas franny said the magic “wake up call” words

kettdevil1

You mentioned the Nottingham game where we definitely weren't flat. Clearly we have been flat in games before, although never as flat as the Steelers at the moment which is causing a degree of good cheer here

Kevin roog

For some very funny reason , the steelers seem to collapse this time of year , every year , don’t think fox survives unless they win the playoffs

Gavevs88

Was a great game, probably the best performance I have seen at home all year. Which is what makes it even more frustrating how inconsistent this team is. They can clearly do the job when they've come off the back of a loss and all had a telling off.

Seemed to be like a lot of guys last night were playing for their contracts next year, which ideally they should be doing all year!!

E.D.S.

Superb game last night. Really enjoyed it. I'd be writing the same even if we lost. Brandt! Again, he was first class. Aside from his hits and the fights (what a fight as well)... what I really like about him is that when he does go forward we invariably end up with a face off in their zone. Mainly because he shoots to force a save and then a freeze. This is huge for us. As that means we bring on our first line for a face off in their zone. What I saw a fair bit last night was Sanford and Cox both dumping the puck to get a change as we were really under pressure. The less our 1st line do that the better. So often our main sharp shooters head up ice, miss the target by a mile, the puck goes around the boards and we are up against it when we should be putting them under pressure. It's the little things that matter. Brandt is a leader for me. A perfect example of a Devil.

We rode our luck a bit but dug in deep. The 1st period we were strong. Came out flat for the 2nd but hung on in there and challenged well in the 3rd against a team, who i feel have more depth and are far more prepared. What I mean by this is that Flames have very obvious set plays - for example when their D have it in their zone, behind the goal, Tait does a big loop to generate speed, they then shoot the puck from one end to the other but Tait negates the icing as he's there first. This played out in front of our D who had dropped deep enough to respond. It was very obvious but we did nothing about it. Flames have been pulling that move for a few seasons now but we didn't know about it. Dupont worries me. Just listening to his interview after the Panthers game and again he says some bizarre stuff - "we thought we played pretty well".... I didn't.

A very entertaining game for so many reasons. It felt good to watch that. Chad skates really well and reads the game brilliantly. Not a bad home debut. Bowns just had one of those games. He saw everything and whilst I struggle with his aggressive "Fluery" style as I feel this catches him out of position, I do bloody love a windmill save! I hope this gives him confidence. He played really well.

BostonBart22

Superb game last night. Really enjoyed it. I'd be writing the same even if we lost. Brandt! Again, he was first class. Aside from his hits and the fights (what a fight as well)... what I really like about him is that when he does go forward we invariably end up with a face off in their zone. Mainly because he shoots to force a save and then a freeze. This is huge for us. As that means we bring on our first line for a face off in their zone. What I saw a fair bit last night was Sanford and Cox both dumping the puck to get a change as we were really under pressure. The less our 1st line do that the better. So often our main sharp shooters head up ice, miss the target by a mile, the puck goes around the boards and we are up against it when we should be putting them under pressure. It's the little things that matter. Brandt is a leader for me. A perfect example of a Devil.

We rode our luck a bit but dug in deep. The 1st period we were strong. Came out flat for the 2nd but hung on in there and challenged well in the 3rd against a team, who i feel have more depth and are far more prepared. What I mean by this is that Flames have very obvious set plays - for example when their D have it in their zone, behind the goal, Tait does a big loop to generate speed, they then shoot the puck from one end to the other but Tait negates the icing as he's there first. This played out in front of our D who had dropped deep enough to respond. It was very obvious but we did nothing about it. Flames have been pulling that move for a few seasons now but we didn't know about it. Dupont worries me. Just listening to his interview after the Panthers game and again he says some bizarre stuff - "we thought we played pretty well".... I didn't.

A very entertaining game for so many reasons. It felt good to watch that. Chad skates really well and reads the game brilliantly. Not a bad home debut. Bowns just had one of those games. He saw everything and whilst I struggle with his aggressive "Fluery" style as I feel this catches him out of position, I do bloody love a windmill save! I hope this gives him confidence. He played really well.
spot on post... I can see Brandt capt next season, and if not why not...