Devils Vs Blaze - PO 1/4 Final - 9th April 23 - 18:00 FO

moggy#9

Going into last night’s game, I wasn’t expecting that performance by the Devils or the result. With the bulk of the heavy lifting done by last night, I went to tonight’s game looking for more of the feisty hit anything that moves, hit and run hockey, but credit Blaze tonight they outplayed us for 58 minutes, and the only reason we scored was due to an empty net. We could have been still out there now and would have struggled to score with the Blaze half way up the M50.

OK, the boys managed to limp across the line, but our tactics are woeful. When you have a healthy lead in a two leg match, why in the name of all that is holy, would you constantly dump the puck when under zero pressure, with zero chase - All it does, and did repeatedly tonight, was simply inviting the Blaze to send up defence splitting passes to bisect our defence - thankfully Bowns was on form, but Bowns was really sold down the river for the second Blaze goal. I have no idea what Batch was trying to do, and I don’t think I’m the only one. I thought Batch deserved being benched for the rest of the second period, but when I didn’t see him play during the third, I think BD was being naive as a team coach and simply labouring a poor piece of play by Batch. Make your point by all means, but Batch wasn’t the only player to make mistakes, and that was poor coaching imo.

To be honest, I haven’t been impressed with BD this season, I know he’s a rookie coach, but even so, the tactics are wore fully inept, and he doesn’t seem to have worked out what is wrong with the Powerplay even though he’s had months to look at improving it - it’s been awful for several months. The buck stops somewhere in a results business. I have genuine fears for what the Devils can hope to achieve next season, if the powers that be decide to stick with BD as head coach. I also don’t see what Horn brings to the table. Two coaches salaries with a somewhat poor return on investment.

Really hopeful the Devils can come together for next Saturday evening against the Steelers, but if tonight’s team/effort levels are duplicated then I can’t see the Devils making it to the Playoff final on Sunday.
I've struggled to think of one thing that Dupont and horn have done well this season.

jenks33

It was the right call to bench Batch in my opinion. Venus got the better of him twice on that play just by showing a bit more desire and Batch looked half asleep. I’ve previously said that I think we should keep Batch as 6th D next season but he can have no complaints if he’s deemed surplus to requirements

moggy#9

It was the right call to bench Batch in my opinion. Venus got the better of him twice on that play just by showing a bit more desire and Batch looked half asleep. I’ve previously said that I think we should keep Batch as 6th D next season but he can have no complaints if he’s deemed surplus to requirements
I've not understood why we haven't used him as a net front presence to get some traffic. Considering the season he had last year, he's been work this time.

E.D.S.

We done what we needed to do.
A bit of puck.luck and we would have had a few tonight.
Right season over hopefully 2 more a meaningful games. Time to put this season to bed and get behind the team next weekend.
You’re watching a different game to me. We needed more than luck tonight. We need systems and strategy. This team is void of both of those. We look like we’ve never played together before.

Diafol

Yes we did, it's just that nobody can predict which Devils team is going to turn up next weekend.
If you add to the equation that winning the playoffs pretty much guarantees another season like the one we've just seen, then it's little wonder that many supporters are torn about actually coming home with the trophy.

Granted Blaze or Flames fans etc. must be wondering why our fans are complaining but there is some merit to it.

Must be pretty unique in hockey for the crowd to go mad for a 1-2 loss and the nettie getting MOTM!? Over the moon that our season isn't over yet. Who knows what will happen next weekend, but we do know that we are capable of beating anyone, so we're in with a shot!

BostonBart22

I fear for next game v Sheffield they've won 9 games v Nottingham this season so are well up for playing in Nottingham, devils just freeze when playing there for some reason . Just hope our pp improves somehow, our coaches have had more than half a season to get it right and failed miserably big time, another shame is if that was big lou last game he deserves a better send off..by fans and org, been here long enough for a deserved testimonial .

ASHIPP

I hope the Devils erase their last encounter with the Steelers from their minds. Yes, Devils won that game (and at home) but that was in the League.

This is Playoff hockey. It's different. Both teams desperate to get into a final and our performances in the NIA have been erratic this season. It's a chance for something or nothing....in one game.

Yesterday's win, last week's win, whatever, is history. Different opposition, with more pressure.

lloyd_jeff

It’s another season that the team turns up for the last two weeks. If the fans only turned up for those two weeks I’m pretty sure the club wouldn’t be happy. The danger being a three peat.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #76
Must be pretty unique in hockey for the crowd to go mad for a 1-2 loss and the nettie getting MOTM!?
can you imagine the confusion if it were someone’s first game. Devils getting roundly beaten, then the winning team close to victory remove their net minder and get scored on. You’d be wondering what you walked in on.

I don’t think Sheffields record in the NIA will have any bearing on our match with them. We’re a different team and it’s different hockey. It’s going to be interesting to see if coach Corey can pull off a sexy win over the giants too.

Slartibartfast

I have always thought that we should play a more defensive game as we have some very speedy players like Sanford and Waller who can score on the break. BD always plays an offensive game but when we struggle to score we leave big holes at the back. But if this is BDs idea of a defensive game then God help us. Constantly throwing the puck back to the opposition or just icing it is not a smart defensive strategy. Poor Bowns must have felt like he was at a shooting gallery but he did an outstanding job.
But I suppose it did the job. This team were brilliant on Saturday. Just hope the Saturday team turns up for POFW not the team we saw last night. I don't mind losing a game when we win on aggregate but that was painful to watch.

moggy#9

[Q
I have always thought that we should play a more defensive game as we have some very speedy players like Sanford and Waller who can score on the break. BD always plays an offensive game but when we struggle to score we leave big holes at the back. But if this is BDs idea of a defensive game then God help us. Constantly throwing the puck back to the opposition or just icing it is not a smart defensive strategy. Poor Bowns must have felt like he was at a shooting gallery but he did an outstanding job.
But I suppose it did the job. This team were brilliant on Saturday. Just hope the Saturday team turns up for POFW not the team we saw last night. I don't mind losing a game when we win on aggregate but that was painful to watch.
I've heard it argued that Dupont hasn't had the players that he needs to play his way. This seems like a bit of an excuse really. It's the coach's job to find a system that can be executed with the players he's got. Given the defensive frailties of the team, I wouldn't have been bothered if they'd adopted a neutral zone trap and looked to play on the break. Something I absolutely hate though is how cheaply we give up possession. It should be absolutely drummed into players that you don't dump the puck unless you have absolutely no choice. If an opponent wants the puck they should have to pay a price to get it. Similarly if a forward comes into our slot, they should expect to get punished for it. The problems with the coaching of the team isn't just about ability, it's about mindset.