Devils Vs Blaze - League - 26th Nov 22 - 19:00 FO

Wannabe2

We didn’t get going no shit Sherlock, at the end of the day we need to be better, when coach when. Sorry mate but it’s the same shit, different day, and it’s getting boring to hear. Not being funny here but our Coach is as boring as our team. And if the conductor is poor, don’t expect the orchestra to be the Mutts Nutts.

If any of you watched the summit 2022 then what was dups and frannys words we know how much you like your physical hockey still yet to see it. Josh brittain big 6”5 big cat whats he done that the coaches were bigging him up about.
playing the same d lines every week teams work tactics out alright everyone saying about the coach its not the coach its the players that are playing like they are not the coaches. Something needs to change before another season proves useless

lloyd_jeff

Theres been debates, criticism and comments around physical entertaining hockey for yrs, from Owners, Coaches & players & every year it’s been debated about the lack of it. If we are not looking for that style, just be honest before people buy their season tickets, if it’s family friendly skilled Euro style, fine. If it’s a North American ethos that we get going in the final part of the season, play offs & CC cups are the goals, if that’s what they want. After hearing the same old ambitions followed by the same excuses, year after year it’s blindingly obvious physical entertaining hockey isn’t their goal.

Theres been debates, criticism and comments around physical entertaining hockey for yrs, from Owners, Coaches & players & every year it’s been debated about the lack of it. If we are not looking for that style, just be honest before people buy their season tickets, if it’s family friendly skilled Euro style, fine. If it’s a North American ethos that we get going in the final part of the season, play offs & CC cups are the goals, if that’s what they want. After hearing the same old ambitions followed by the same excuses, year after year it’s blindingly obvious physical entertaining hockey isn’t their goal.
Also its the same players on the same line every game batch louis

Wagstaff

I’m still shaking my head at those stats. 6 PP’s to 0 and they outshot us 33-20!? Just 20 shots on goal in 60 minutes when we had a man advantage for 12 minutes. It’s just nowhere near good enough and even the most positive Devils fans can’t defend that. It’s inexcusable against Belfast or Sheffield but Coventry are a mid table team. To be fair I think Danny Stewart recruited well in the summer but they will finish 4th at best.
Danny doesn’t have the smallest budget in the league, but considering he doesn’t have the finances of the so called bigger teams, he always recruits well, often unknown youngsters who are keen and hungry, he builds a team that adopts his own “all for one and one for all” ethos, also Danny studies video after video and prepares the team for the next weekend’s opponents.
I think he’s very underrated but that maybe through blue tinted glasses

lloyd_jeff

Danny doesn’t have the smallest budget in the league, but considering he doesn’t have the finances of the so called bigger teams, he always recruits well, often unknown youngsters who are keen and hungry, he builds a team that adopts his own “all for one and one for all” ethos, also Danny studies video after video and prepares the team for the next weekend’s opponents.
Is recruitment choice left to Danny ?

jenks33

He’s matured into a very good coach. Coventry over achieved in the 19/20 season and if my memory serves me right they still had an outside chance of winning the league before covid intervened. That was a great effort.
Disappointing finish last season but to be fair there were only 4 points between 4th and 8th.
And this season they look like the 4th best team in the league at the moment which is a good effort. I agree with you, an underrated coach.

I think the issue is that people are wanting Brittain to be a crash/bang player as he is a big body but that has never been his game. He has beautiful soft hands, a superb range of passing but.... he is not the physical player that people want, so to criticise him for not being the player you thought he was is disingenuous at best.

The problems are not down to one player, it's far more holistic than that.
For Brittain, It mat help getting people off his back, if he would produce something that people can say he brings something of benefit to the team. Take Ryan Penny, a few weeks back, people were commenting what does he do? then lo and behold he produces some performances that fully justify his inclusion. Personally I think we have a few players that are known to be able to play at higher levels than they are currently showing and give the impression they can’t be arsed.

For me, as a coach, these players are quite easy to identify - simply watch how slowly they come back to the bench for a shift change. Their focus is all about them, not the team, they may not like playing on the line they’ve been told to play on, but that is simply a case of pulling up your big boy pants and getting on with the job - Nobody is bigger than the team.

what I would find interesting is knowing people think are the Devils GoTo Lines (Forwards and Defence). If I’m honest I am not convinced BD knows - you never see the same lines from one game to the next, so how do playing relationships develop??

Kevlar68

So... Been looking at stats, in the 2017-18 season we are like for like at this point in the season, P18 won 11 lost 7 BUT we had 2 more teams in the league and a much better side with more faith in them to come good.
I think the frustration with most fans isn't the loses, it's the way we're losing. With the wins I've always said an ugly win is a win but the play is boring it's not even ugly and gritty, we don't seem to have the creative players, we don't have the characters, we don't seem to play to any tactics and our powerplay is shocking.
The 2017-18 season we had an amazing winning streak. We lost SOL to Belfast and then won 13 on the bounce and I hate saying this but I can't see this team doing that.
Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

So... Been looking at stats, in the 2017-18 season we are like for like at this point in the season, P18 won 11 lost 7 BUT we had 2 more teams in the league and a much better side.
I think the frustration with most fans isn't the loses, it's the way we're losing. With the wins I've always said an ugly win is a win but the play is boring it's not even ugly and gritty, we don't seem to have the creative players, we don't have the characters, we don't seem to play to any tactics and our powerplay is shocking.
The 2017-18 season we had an amazing winning streak. We lost SOL to Belfast and then won 13 on the bounce and I hate saying this but I can't see this team doing that.
Prove me wrong.
Spot on it’s not losing, it’s the way we lose. Anyway I have sent my letter to Santa just hope he replies.