Devils Vs Blaze - League - 26th Nov 22 - 19:00 FO

Wannabe2

We are told that the players like our coach, and want to play for him, bloody hell what would we be like if they didnt Like him ???. So many people on here and down the rink are getting cheesed off with what we are having to watch, no one gets a buzz slagging off our club, the club we hold dear to us but it’s getting beyond a joke now. Tonight will be the first webcast I have missed but no way am I paying £15 to watch more of this nonsense, past players said last night it was like a training session, personnally I don’t think it was that good. Anyway time to put this season in a draw now, as getting your head up your arse doesn’t help, we have what we have unfortunately.

I have not written anything on here for a long time, but I just cannot keep silent on this team any longer. This is the worst team i've seen for many many years. Totally out of their depth when it comes to playing the big boys. We have recruited a team that is way too small and shows no passion for the jersey.

I think it's bad form to mention names, but I will mention one, because he's a very special case. #11, in my opinion one of the lousiest players we have ever signed. I put him in the same bracket as Trent Anderson and Robert Millette (Wannabe will know what I mean). He should be sacked TODAY!!! At the summit it was said that we needed to address our lack of size and physicality up front....we have gone backwards with this character!! He skates behind the play and the only kind contact he makes is when he sits his arse down on the bench!! He should pack his bags today!

Bowns should have never come back, we had the best out of him some years ago. I feel for Joes Martin, he keeps looking over his shoulder to find Haddad, but he's not there to create space for him. We have never addressed losing Haddad. Joey M is now playing on a small vulnerable team that exposes him. I always think, how many of our team would make the Belfast roster, I would say possibly 1...Coughler!! They sign teams which look like hockey teams 6 foot and physical, we sign quirky teams which does not wash it anymore in this league. I also don't think it's all Dupont's fault (apart from signing Brittain) as he inherited this team I believe. A team made up of mediocre ECHL player who clearly struggle against the likes of Sheffield, Belfast...well the whole league really!! We ware what we are ladies and gentleman, fifth place if we're lucky!!

Last thing, I am tired of this cosy 'we don't gas players' sh%t. The ' we're a nice club that looks after our players'. We can still look after player but when they coast around and still pick up a wage, then you should be shown the door...pronto!! That tired culture has to chanGe and be more professional as a hockey club!!

Sorry for the length of this and if we keep this side going I WILL NOT BE RENEWING MY ST NEXT SEASON!!
It sum it up for me when we were on the PP Brittain got out of a Crawford shot instead of standing in front of him which was basically meat and drink for holsa.Right powderpuff forward Brittain

RedDevil17

I’m still shaking my head at those stats. 6 PP’s to 0 and they outshot us 33-20!? Just 20 shots on goal in 60 minutes when we had a man advantage for 12 minutes. It’s just nowhere near good enough and even the most positive Devils fans can’t defend that.
I’m sure HockeyMad will find a way to defend it.

kettdevil1

I’m not disagreeing regarding Brittain’s ineffectiveness but to be fair to Dupont I would put money on it that Brittain was a Kelman/Franny signing. Brittain to the devils was rumoured every summer for 3 or 4 years. Brittain’s wife said a few months ago that it was always a dream of hers for Josh to play in Cardiff with her welsh connections. I wouldn’t be surprised if Brittain has had a relationship with Todd and Franny for a few years and he was always likely to end up in Cardiff when the time was right for both parties.
I think the issue is that people are wanting Brittain to be a crash/bang player as he is a big body but that has never been his game. He has beautiful soft hands, a superb range of passing but.... he is not the physical player that people want, so to criticise him for not being the player you thought he was is disingenuous at best.

The problems are not down to one player, it's far more holistic than that.

doron

looking at Cardiff games coming up and panthers game's coming up, i can see cardiff dropping to 6th ? what is the lowest place we have ever ended up ?

august04 2.0

I think the issue is that people are wanting Brittain to be a crash/bang player as he is a big body but that has never been his game. He has beautiful soft hands, a superb range of passing but.... he is not the physical player that people want, so to criticise him for not being the player you thought he was is disingenuous at best.

I usually agree with a lot of your posts, but not this one. “Beautiful soft hands and a superb range of passing”?! I’m sorry but I haven’t seen those attributes at all, never mind crashing/banging. He contributes virtually nothing. He’s just average at everything - at best.

Im not singling one player out, as I said it's bad form to name players but he was brought in to do a job, to be more physical 'heavier' up front. He clearly is not fulfilling that role. I would rip this team apart for next season.

BostonBart22

Could we be going the same way the Panthers have for many years? Neilson departed after bringing many years of success and Panthers have been dismal since (things may change now for them with his return). After Lord departed its plausible that we could go through many coaches and players and see so much inconsistency.

I think the devils need to address things shortly as I am hearing a lot of people who have said they won't be renewing their ST next season. With the cost of living on the rise and another energy hike in April people need a reason to fall back in love with this team.

I am one of those who will always renew and love the club but I can understand that many people who have 2, 3 or 4 ST's for their family may think twice .
I hope the club are not thinking of hiking the prices up for next season either, that will be a kick in the teeth with what we have seen so far this season.

jenks33

Oh god I agree, if anybody thinks Brittain is the only problem they need their head checked. We’ve got a long list of problems.

I think the reason the microscope has been on Brittain so much is because we were told time and time again over the summer that we were going to be heavier and more physical, we then re-signed all these small players and signed one 6ft 5 player so all eyes have been on him.

The messages coming out of the club over the summer regarding recruitment were a bit muddled and let’s be honest it’s been a bit of a mess. How many of us looked at our roster in August and thought “hang on a minute that’s all we’ve heard over the summer is we’re going to play a heavier game but we don’t have the players to play that game”??

moggy#9

I think that what is clear is that cover the end of the season there needs to be a clear out. Get rid off the dead wood. Get rid of the sentiment signings. Build with a succession plan in mind. As I've said before, I have sympathy for Dupont. He's been thrown in the deep end and clearly doesn't have the final say over team composition. If he'd had a few years to develop as an assistant coach he'd have been in a better position, but right now he has no one to learn from and appears to be overwhelmed.

Kevin roog

It is looking like a new coach and rebuild again next summer,who’s recruiting though ,probably sign 10 diddy men and bring back Jason wood in goal

kettdevil1

I usually agree with a lot of your posts, but not this one. “Beautiful soft hands and a superb range of passing”?! I’m sorry but I haven’t seen those attributes at all, never mind crashing/banging. He contributes virtually nothing. He’s just average at everything - at best.
Life would be so boring if we always agree :)

I can absolutely understand the criticisms but for me it is 'square peg, round hole' situation. There was an away game in Manchester early this season where he played far more physical than we have become used to but... it felt forced and lacking any intimidatory factor. As Todd said on Wally's podcast, Big Lou can't find anyone to fight because he is too tough but with Brittain, it felt as though the Storm were relishing the physical battle and after a while, he went back to his more elusive game.

We are talking of a player who has 100+ AHL games so there is clearly something there and I would stand by my comment that he is a highly skilled hockey player but...... he is not on the same wavelength as his linemates which comes down to lack of chemistry in lines we have seen too often this season.

I think there is general agreement that the issues are far broader than simply one (or even 2/3 players) so.... if we do manage to change things then we will see if JB fits in. I think he has a lot to offer but at the moment, for whatever reason, it is not working.

kettdevil1

looking at Cardiff games coming up and panthers game's coming up, i can see cardiff dropping to 6th ? what is the lowest place we have ever ended up ?
Bottom (pre-EIHL) ..... in the EIHL we missed the playoffs just before the current owners took over but can't remember exactly what position we were in..... I presume 9th

lloyd_jeff

“Big Lou can’t find anyone to fight” what a crock of shite, that is one golden ticket to run physical all over the league. Nobody is going to step up to the Devils cos big bad Lou is in the house, does Todd actually believe that or is he that nieve that just cos he’s said it fans will accept it.

kettdevil1

“Big Lou can’t find anyone to fight” what a crock of shite, that is one golden ticket to run physical all over the league. Nobody is going to step up to the Devils cos big bad Lou is in the house, does Todd actually believe that or is he that nieve that just cos he’s said it fans will accept it.
Who has challenged him this season?

kettdevil1

Let’s reverse that, who has HE challenged this season?
That's never been his game. His game is to step in when there is an issue and there have been plenty of times this year (Sheffield away first league game of the season, multiple Manchester games) when he has stepped in after bad hits, clearly ready and the opposition has melted away.

So.... I am struggling to think of anyone who has challenged him. Any ideas?