Devils vs Bison, Wed 01st 7.30pm. Chat/Updates

davew

Chris Stone said:
If I hear someone say "The Devils always start off slow" I might actually be pushed to commit murder.

O well If poper dies in the night we know who to blame, coz that is exactly what he said on tonight's broacast........

A

Anonymous

I wish I could be more positive, a win's a win I suppose and we should be grateful for that after recent weeks, but that was very poor fayre served up by the Devils against the worst team in the Elite League (and shortbenched at that too). Very few plus points, not impressed by Adams' line combinations and baffling to demote Hinks. I'm far from his greatest fan (in fact I'd cut him now) but after benching him for a while against Coventry, then reading the riot act, the guy gets played on the 3rd line between Franny and Cowmeadow! I'm all for teaching him a lesson but tonight may have been his opportunity to show what he's made of, against poor opposition. You never know he might have played himself into form and confidence with that backdrop but he ain't going to do that with those linemates (no disrespect to them as they work hard and we know what we get from those guys). Very bizarre. Heads dropped again against a Basingstoke side that couldn't string 2 passes together for 55 minutes - this Devils team has a very soft underbelly. Why wait to make changes? The need is obvious and isn't going to go away. Crowds will continue to be poor too, with ongoing performances like that. Make the brave decisions now before it's too late. I think Adams will regret that "top 3 side" statement - we are miles off.

I think Jay Latulippe will be one of our star players this season and i hope he stays on the first line along with Campbell and PrPich, he scores goals and hardly ever loses the draw in the face - off circle, well done Jay keep up the good work.

P.S where does that leave Hinks?

I think we didn't play to badly tonight and their netminder was really good, he kept them in the game. IMO Jarvis is our weakest link, I don't think he is fast enough passing or clearing the puck and just ends up giving it away most of the time. We did deserve to win tonight but the boys really got to get it together, I agree with another poster they need to stop passing the puck back & forth in front of the net and just shoot it just like Hartwick did tonight. This would then stop the other team being able to read every little shot and keep them on their toes. ;)

Well how to give up a 3 goal lead PART II !!!!

We have serious problems. We got out of jail tonite but how we let this game go to overtime I will never know.
The positives for me were Prpich and Campbell and Silverthorn, the thing is it is the same players turning up and giving their all game after game.
There are others who are not up to it. Hinks again went missing in action. A change is needed I feel.
We are desperately missing a d man who can hold onto the puck and skate it into the offensive zone. I know Andersson was missing but he does not provide that. Now I wonder who could???
I guess Aubs would want one or two of those back tonite esp the "goal" that seemed to go through his legs.
Concerned about lack of leadership out there.
Poor performance once again against an understrength Bison team who could well have nicked this.
Not a happy bunny. Hope things improve soon. If we don't we are going to suffer some heavy defeats in the next few weeks looking at our schedule. :cry:

Ugly Betty said:
Well how to give up a 3 goal lead PART II !!!!

We have serious problems. We got out of jail tonite but how we let this game go to overtime I will never know.
The positives for me were Prpich and Campbell and Silverthorn, the thing is it is the same players turning up and giving their all game after game.
There are others who are not up to it. Hinks again went missing in action. A change is needed I feel.
We are desperately missing a d man who can hold onto the puck and skate it into the offensive zone. I know Andersson was missing but he does not provide that. Now I wonder who could???
I guess Aubs would want one or two of those back tonite esp the "goal" that seemed to go through his legs.
Concerned about lack of leadership out there.
Poor performance once again against an understrength Bison team who could well have nicked this.
Not a happy bunny. Hope things improve soon. If we don't we are going to suffer some heavy defeats in the next few weeks looking at our schedule. :cry:
I agree,prpich,campbell and silverthorn proved why they're devils! they gave 100% the whole game.
Aubs was slightly better but still needs improvement!! the goal that went through his legs was real bad.

Hinks was his usual self,totally lacking in creativity and might as well not been there!!

Cmon tyson,you know you want it!

Ger-Devils

It seems like all teams Cardiff related can never keep a lead!

Their 1st goal was not over the line even though the guy behind the goal give it. I was standing just to the left of the goal on the boards and you could see it was on the line but not over so that shouldn't have been awarded.

Plenty of chances for us to win tonight but that keeper was on fire. Some top saves from him.

Lets hope the team bounce back better and hold out them leads!

Fubar

Wannabe2 said:
Fubar said:
what is it with Aubs?? :evil:
Why are you blaming Aubs for gods sake
oh come on....for 2 of those goals he didnt know where the puck was..you trying to tell me it wasnt his fault? cant fault the fella off the ice but i aint the only one who sh@t themselves everytime there is a breakaway.....the doubters are out there...its just most are afraid to say on a public forum for fear of being branded anti devils or having "not a real fan" syndrome.

at the end of the day it is the netty who wins/loses games (assuming we score goals)...so i would like to hear from you who you think was at fault for us blowing a 3 zip lead

Koop11

Bad crowd, bad atmosphere, bad game, bad performance, great win. The win is the important thing and we must be happy with that but I do share that there are some issues that need addressing. 3 goals and nearly blowing it again is not good enough and Gerad’s reaction to the OT winner was stone cold. I think it said it all for the fans also. Not sure about you but I’ve not felt so down about a win in a long time.

Hinks being demoted to the 3rd line was a good call and I think early signs from Jay show he warrants the first line centre post. The first line is playing some great hockey with Campbell and Pripich leading the way. If the rest of the team play at the rate these guys do then we’d be top of the league. I really do like our 3rd line. No it doesn’t have the goal capacity of Coventry or Sheffield but as a holding line and forcing the puck up the other end of the ice I feel they are doing that very well.

Bad news about Andersson. He will be massively missed on our PP. On the plus side, Silverthrone remains top of the league points despite a pointless game and Pripich is not the league leading goal scorer.

A

Anonymous

Wannabe2 said:
mike62 said:
oneill said:
Bison have a full squad to choose from again after the bans so im going for a close game 3,2 Devils.
Cornish v MacIver to fight.
Only Curtiss Patrick is back after his ban, Bison will still be 3 imports short (assuming Braff doesn't play).

Miller is possibly due in for the weekend games and Brad
Ccruikshank returns from his ban away to Squeelers on Sunday.
2really as Aldridge is playing, and we are also 2 down.
Aldridge is a Brit, product of the Swindon junior development system.

Finny

Ger-Devils said:
Their 1st goal was not over the line even though the guy behind the goal give it. I was standing just to the left of the goal on the boards and you could see it was on the line but not over so that shouldn't have been awarded.
Looked to me like a goal. Pretty sure I saw it go over the line and see 'white space' between the puck and the line before it was scooped away.

im happy with the win,it's 2points. Bisons first goal was not a goal ( unless not all of the puck needs to cross the line??) Thought Hinks looked like he was atleast trying last night, im just guessing its a confidence thing, Jay, Mike,Dereck,Phil all look awesome so far this season

Finny

Fubar said:
oh come on....for 2 of those goals he didnt know where the puck was..you trying to tell me it wasnt his fault? cant fault the fella off the ice but i aint the only one who sh@t themselves everytime there is a breakaway.....the doubters are out there...its just most are afraid to say on a public forum for fear of being branded anti devils or having "not a real fan" syndrome.

at the end of the day it is the netty who wins/loses games (assuming we score goals)...so i would like to hear from you who you think was at fault for us blowing a 3 zip lead
First goal - nobody picked up the Bison player who was able to line up his shot unchallenged. Yes it did slip through Aubs and he'll want that one back but the guy should never had had the time to line up the big shot.

Second goal - IIRC the bison player was completely alone on the far side and another easy tap in similar to several goals in the Coventry goal. Definately not Aubs fault.

third goal - Aubs won't be happy with this one. He'd been almost faultless all game by not giving up any rebounds - but this time it fell to the one player not being tied up and he scored from it.

However, Aubry made a couple of great saves in that final 5 minutes when the Bison felt they had a chance. There was one shot when his sight was blocked and the puck was heading into the far corner, only for him to see it at the last moment and stop it with his stick.

Gazza272

stewie griffin said:
im) Thought Hinks looked like he was atleast trying last night, i

I thought Hinks put a decent third line effort in last night, i noticed him a lot more in our defensive end digging in and helping out, i dotn believe our third line got scored on last night, although i could be wrong.

He was never going to be a big backer to get a point last night, as august has said we know what were are going to get from cowmeadow and franny and it isnt going to be many points. Hinks is still miles away from where we want him to be but im glad he didnt sulk on the third line last night, maybe a game on saturday against his old club will give him a much needed kick up the back side.

There were a few positives last night.

Campbell and Prpich link up i thought these guys played with huge energy all evening and looked a threat, lutuillipe also seemed to gel well with them, maybe we have found a threatening line there.

Towe and Hilly- Hill has started as most of us have wanted from him for a few seasons now, he's faster, leaner and looks more confident out there. Towe didnt seem phased by the added responsability of extra shifts and the guy can learn how to finish i really do think we have a real gem there.

Maciver- i thought he was really solid last ngiht, some may disagree and i'm going to have another look at him on sky this week but for now i couldnt fault him last night he always seems to be the one in the right place at the right time, and his reading of the game is a hell of a lot better than i was expecting it to be.

There weer negatives obviously, for me i think the problem is our D men now without likit arent offensive minded, i think this is causing the big gaps we seem to be seeing at least 3 times a game, some are pinching in when they shouldnt be pinching in and no one is covering. This for me is a coaching issue and G has to be looking at the tapes to see who the continuing culprits are. as some thing is getting lost in communication.

I thought our D looked far more composed last night. Whether it was the opposition or the rollicking they've had, I don't know but they all seemed a bit less headless chicken than Sunday. I was particularly impressed with Stoney and his workrate, which I think has been missing for a couple of games. It looks to me like we are just taking a bit longer to gel than usual. I truly believe that we have the personell, apart from the one obvious weak link A.T.M., to compete with any team in the league. It has to be remembered though, if you get off to a bad start and have to play catch up, you will struggle. Although, if we get on a streak like last year, avoid the injuries (fingers crossed) and get a couple of other teams results go our way we could very well be top by Christmas, now wouldn't that be nice?

Finny

I was thinking midway through the 3rd period "our D looks far more solid tonight", so it was probably my fault that I cursed them and that for the final 5 minutes we were all over the place again.

Having said that, I think part of the problem was down to the forwards not backchecking as hard as they need to. The defencemen looked busy whilst too many of the forwards seemed to be more concerned with preparing for a quick breakout rather than digging in and helping to clear the danger.

pictures i have seen have shown that the puck was over the line! prehaps we'll see on friday if the sky cameras picked it up. both the goal judge and the linesman confirmed to the ref that it was over the line.

I was stood next to the Sky camera man, he went to the sky truck in the period break. when he came back he said that the replay from his camera showed the puck was over line.

Russky

I write this post With my personal subjective non reporting hat on! I am sure you have realised now that I am the one that writes the match reports in the programmes and occasionally for the website. For this I have to be totally objective and try not to include a negative vibe in my writing. Here I can, within reason, write how I feel! last weekends reports were particularly difficult to write up, they are always harder to do when we have lost! I dont know why!

Anyway, I thought we were slightly better last night but to be fair to the Bison they made us work hard for the win! I cannot understand how Kevin Reiter can look so good against us and concede a bucket load against Coventry and Belfast! Perhaps there is something in that we make him look good?

Also when we were 5 on 3 there was too much tic tac toe passing with Silver left and Prps right and Hinks at the point. It also seemed that we wanted to walk the puck into the net far too many times. Perhaps we should shoot on sight more when we are on the powerplay - we have guys who have a decent shot on them so why not use it?!

I am also perturbed by our ease at surrendering a healthy lead or our inclination to sit back on such a lead. Twice now we have surrendered a three goal cushion when we should be pushing for more to make the game and the points safe, its surely not too much to ask is it? We were all over the Blaze in the first frame on sunday and should have made the game ours! I remember one particularly amazing game in the WNIR when we were 6-1 up against the Squeelers by the end of the first
OK it may have killed the game as a spectacle but at least we didnt surrender the lead!