Devils v Storm - 23/12 @ 19:00 - League - Chat/Updates

august04

One - Sam Bryant.

The other was Rhys Harding (Adam's little brother), who plays in Swindon I believe - don't quote me though.
Yep, Bryant and Harding played last night according to their GM, Neil Russell. He says they both play for Fire - I haven't a clue!

JC23

Yep, Bryant and Harding played last night according to their GM, Neil Russell. He says they both play for Fire - I haven't a clue!
Elite Prospects has Harding down as playing for NIHL 1 last year, no team this year. Definitely not signed to the Fire. Can see where your confusion came in. :)

terry hunt

You guys are clear at the top of the league and are favourites to go on and win it. Reading through some of the comments tonight you'd think you were struggling. Even with our games in hand we could only draw level and still be behind on the head to head.

The only issue I can see is your record against anybody else but us. It's not as good as ours, that could possibly be your downfall. We've lost 7 games this year, 5 of them to you. That means we've won 15 of the other 17 games. If that carries on then we could be whitewashed by you but still finish above you.

But, even with the above statement, you have the points on the board. I'd rather be in your position than ours.
I agree with you in principle robbo2306 but the big difference between our teams is that the Steelers are a better team than us but we are scrambling results.The Steelers fight till they drop and hate losing as does your whole organisation.From Tony Smith,Thommo,Simmsy believe they are the best and are not satisfied with second best.Players who lack fight and determination are shown the door by Thommo.
I can live with defeats when i see our team fight and give 100% even when we are second best.In hindsight Gerard Adams got a lot for his budget and coached under appalling conditions.I wonder now what he could do with the ownership we have now.

terry hunt

As well as missing 3 imports, I think they also had 2 Cardiff Fire players playing for them last night!
The last time we played the Storm they had 2 Cardiff boys playing against us and the played well.
The Steelers have Ferrara playing regular shifts another one of Adams's boys.
How can Pacha and Thommo get performances out of these players and we cant.
What has happened to Buglass what did he do wrong?
I fully expect the clique to jump on me as they do with any criticism of the Devils regarding Brit players.

ASHIPP

Congratulations to the Storm. A hardworking, well drilled performance, shutting shop at goal 3. Lovely Xmas treat for their loyal, travelling fans.

Where was Devils aggressive 4 line hockey against a shortbenched Storm who played 3 lines and brought in some kids to make up the numbers?

A game Devils could have and should have won...but didn't deserve to.
This game continued to expose several weaknesses that have been in their game for a while but have not been addressed...lack of aggression, stuttering pp, offensive defencemen caught out of position, no evidence of a different plan if things arren't working. The team ddid start to play with some intensity and apply pressure in p3...but it was all a bit desperate and too late with the scoreline.

In tight games, special teams make the difference. If the pp isn't working, send out a heavy checking line to kill the opposition and wear them down. Storm had travelled twice this week - crashing and crushing would have killed them and won the puck back....some compensation for all those turnovers.

The same small group of players rolled out for pp and pk. No wonder they were knackered. That is why I'm completely baffled why 5 or 6 other players got so few shifts and sat on the bench most of the game. At leaat send these fresh players out in between pp/pk to bring some energy and distraction....Bordy, Brine, Douce, Culli, Batchy, CJ, Piggsie....all on limited shifts.

A league winning teams looks like winning and WANTS to win. They are driven, hungry, clinical. Their gamechangers can grab the game and make an impact. If systems aren't working, there are other options. EVERY game, at any cost.Devils showed none of that last night.

For all the tantrums and criticisms of officiating and other teams, Thompson and the Steelers are winners.They are driven, motivated, clinical, ruthless, they change their game. He drills them, he instills it in them. In the same situation last night, he would have been dishing out some tough love to his guys. Maybe that needs to happen down here.

JC23

The last time we played the Storm they had 2 Cardiff boys playing against us and the played well.
The Steelers have Ferrara playing regular shifts another one of Adams's boys.
How can Pacha and Thommo get performances out of these players and we cant.
What has happened to Buglass what did he do wrong?
I fully expect the clique to jump on me as they do with any criticism of the Devils regarding Brit players.
Buglass is out with a shoulder injury for the remainder of this season, having surgery in January I believe.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #89
This was the first live game I've managed to catch for about 18months...

But what was the point in calling a timeout with 13 seconds left? I know we'd closed to within 1 goal but surely the timeout could/would have been more effective when we were 1-3 down, or even with a few minutes to go?

Otherwise, unfortunately it was another poor home game. Hopefully we can sort things out for the games against the Blaze!

Justtw

This is a bit off topic but has anyone seen the Giants vs Caps game from yesterday? down 8-1 but christ they fought back!! That is some passion there!! I don't like seeing Giants winning when their on our tail but what a game by the caps fairplay. Devils would have (and have) given up after 5-8 goals.

kettdevil1

This is a bit off topic but has anyone seen the Giants vs Caps game from yesterday? down 8-1 but christ they fought back!! That is some passion there!! I don't like seeing Giants winning when their on our tail but what a game by the caps fairplay. Devils would have (and have) given up after 5-8 goals.
Although to be fair the comeback started when the Giants put their backup in who promptly shipped five goals :eek:

voth26

I seem to remember a good while back G putting the whole team on two weeks notice because he wasn't happy with results and performances, think they went on a fair run after that?, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

I agree with you in principle robbo2306 but the big difference between our teams is that the Steelers are a better team than us but we are scrambling results.The Steelers fight till they drop and hate losing as does your whole organisation.From Tony Smith,Thommo,Simmsy believe they are the best and are not satisfied with second best.Players who lack fight and determination are shown the door by Thommo.
I can live with defeats when i see our team fight and give 100% even when we are second best.In hindsight Gerard Adams got a lot for his budget and coached under appalling conditions.I wonder now what he could do with the ownership we have now.
Gerad Adams was a great coach for us and a great coach for you imo. He was harshly treated by us, he would do a brilliant job as coach for you now.