Devils v Storm - 23/12 @ 19:00 - League - Chat/Updates

jenks33

Pathetic.

- Hotham and Fournier when it comes to defending? Words fail me. Ridiculously bad for a while now
- Let's be honest, for the amount they're probably earning bentivoglio and ulmer have been a let down. Their effort is fine and their defensive game is fine but that's not why they were recruited.
- What's happened to Morissette in front of goal!?
- Doucet is so inconsistent. 0 in 10 or 10 in 10 kind of player. So frustrating! And he's had a habit of giving silly penalties away this seaaon.

Sheffield's title for me again this season unless we do something. I'm sure we'll get some nonsense posts from the "you can't say anything negative about the devils" brigade

Justtw

Pathetic.

- Hotham and Fournier when it comes to defending? Words fail me. Ridiculously bad for a while now
- Let's be honest, for the amount they're probably earning bentivoglio and ulmer have been a let down. Their effort is fine and their defensive game is fine but that's not why they were recruited.
- What's happened to Morissette in front of goal!?
- Doucet is so inconsistent. 0 in 10 or 10 in 10 kind of player. So frustrating! And he's had a habit of giving silly penalties away this seaaon.

Sheffield's title for me again this season unless we do something. I'm sure we'll get some nonsense posts from the "you can't say anything negative about the devils" brigade
Couldn't agree more about Hotham and fournier but I think bentivolgio has been a right terrier for us, he chases the puck relentlessly and is one of the only men, even on a bad day puts in effort.

I know there is a witch hunt against anyone who speaks ill of Lordo (I think he's a great coach and player) but come on mate! Surely you can see right in front of your eyes when we lose to MANCHESTER STORM that everyone is laughing at us yet you throw out the same lines, keep men who are clearly playing poor (hotham and fournier) on the ice for probably 20 minutes and realistically, not using a time out effectively to get the team's head back in the game.

If I was the coach I'd be throwing chairs in the changing rooms until the team KNEW how serious I was.. they can't go out for a leisurely skate then act suprise when we lose another season.

I thought after our 8 nil loss that we'd have a good kick up the ass and get our head in the game but clearly we've forgotten all about it.

Come on, the whole team, shape up.

Last edited by a moderator:

jenks33

Couldn't agree more about Hotham and fournier but I think bentivolgio has been a right terrier for us, he chases the puck relentlessly and is one of the only men, even on a bad day puts in effort.

I know there is a witch hunt against anyone who speaks ill of Lordo (I think he's a great coach and player) but come on mate! Surely you can see right in front of your fucking eyes when we lose to MANCHESTER STORM that everyone is laughing at us yet you throw out the same lines, keep men who are clearly playing poor (hotham and fournier) on the ice for probably 20 minutes and realistically, not using a time out effectively to get the team's head back in the game.

If I was the coach I'd be throwing fucking chairs in the changing rooms until the team KNEW how serious I was.. they can't go out for a leisurely skate then act suprise when we lose another fucking season.

I thought after our 8 nil loss that we'd have a good kick up the ass and get our head in the game but clearly we've forgotten all about it.

Fucking come on, the whole team, shape up.
I love bentivoglio' s effort. I just don't think that's what he was recruited for though. We need more firepower if we're happy with ulmer and bentivoglio just being solid

Justtw

I love bentivoglio' s effort. I just don't think that's what he was recruited for though. We need more firepower if we're happy with ulmer and bentivoglio just being solid
I agree that our offence has been lacking so much lately.. Martin still gets a couple but remember when Doucet and Morissette were always up there with him? Christ, I miss some of our old boys now like Kurka, Salters and Hervarto

JT666

God that was drab. No fight whatsoever. Even if we lose, the fans at least expect to be entertained. That was a terrible advert for ice hockey.

Can't we just drop Ulmer for a few games and replace him with Lord? Morrisette and Doucet have gone off the boil as well, so i'd move the lines around as follows.

Asselin, Martin, Doucet
Morrisette, Lord, Bentivoglio
Haddad, Brine, Culligan
Jones/Piggott, Myers, Bordeleau

Welshy74

Ulmer is 7th in scoring in our team according to elite prospects. If he was a Steelers he would 4th, Panthers 3rd and Giants joint 3rd so don't think he's that bad. Think we have bigger issues the other end!!

jenks33

Ulmer is 7th in scoring in our team according to elite prospects. If he was a Steelers he would 4th, Panthers 3rd and Giants joint 3rd so don't think he's that bad. Think we have bigger issues the other end!!
I think his points production flatters him a bit to be honest. Most of his points have been against the poorer teams, certainly his goals anyway. I think I'm right in saying he's 36 now, I just think he looks a bit past it. He's a bit cumbersome in his skating and he just looks a second behind the play all the time for me. We need more firepower desperately

Justtw

Overall, I'm worried we will realize "oh shit, we need to step up our game" too late in the season to bring it back. The gap is already beginning to close.

Wannabe2

God how poor was that tonight, watching Emmerdale would have been more thrilling, seems like we are choking again. Storm came with 15 skaters of which 2 were Cardiff lads, no disrespect to them, they played a big part in Storms win. We really were bad tonight, and I think we ran out of get out of jail cards, because we have used a few of them lately. It may just be me but when we play short handed teams who don't have much toughness, shouldn't we be banging from the get go, knock them about, and show them who are boss. So much more I want to say, but I better keep that to myself, Devils let themselves and their superb fans down big time tonight, I really wish I hadn't gone, I left the house in good Xmas cheer, and that tosh tonight took it all away. Hope this gets addressed,because there's a team who play in real crap shirts and their fans who will be going into Xmas a hell of a lot happier than us sad lot. Two games over the festive season coming up, choke on those two and the crowds will soon dwindle, it takes a fair bit for me to get my head up my jacksy, but that's exactly where it is tonight.

rocketbob

I would argue in defence (no pun intended) of Fournier for two reasons, yes he does make mistakes but he is one of the few players that seem to want to and is able to change the game when we are down and/or playing badly. Secondly, he doesn't shy away from the puck, he tries to do something about it. When we are down several of the other players just pass the puck rather than trying to do something, they don't want the responsibility. At least Gleason isn't shying away from the puck.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Well...that was appalling, worse than the 0-8 defeat in someways. The first Sheffield win after that heavy was just a reaction from having rocket, that is all it was. Things have to be said here, as this is about our club and doing a job this year. It is clear and let us open our eyes here, Lord is a player and a very effective one who leads by example. He was behind the bench tonight with a suit on, and he zero influence on that game for me. Either he can't see what we see, or he can but is uncapable of changing things. That team should have had the hairdryer effect after the first period, but we came out flatter!!!!

Lordo goes on about 'Devils hockey', I'm sorry he knows nothing about it. Devils hockey is playing hard, fast, aggressive and physical hockey. That is what has won us titles in the past. We are a million miles from it. And I know I'm going to get it in the neck by the 'you mustn't critisise brigade' for bringing these points up but the coach sets the game plan and tone. We are a collection of very talented highend players who are not getting coached. An example of this is Andrew Hotham, he should of had a rocket long ago. He is the laziest sloppiest defenceman I have seen for a while. He only gets away with it and is allowed to stay because he generates points. Well that is not good enough for me. Love to see his +/- that would tell a tale. I would gas him, I would have last summer.

We have no identity as a team, we are unable to focus, concentrate on the job in hand and lack ruthlessness. The squeelers grind out championships by whatever means possible while we come second. I know I will get shot down now, but heh, I said my piece.

Wannabe2

That's not a true picture as they have played fewer games than us.

Justtw

Couldn't agree more Wannabe, I was pretty pleased to see us vs Storm before Christmas thinking for an easy 2 points to widen the gap a bit and witnessed that shit. I will never stop following but unless the team gets the act together I will considering dishing out money to go see it live.

Justtw

It makes my blood boil that the other teams in the league are laughing at us! Ever since we lost that 8-0 game I can still hear the panthers chants of "Top of the league, you're having a laugh" ringing in my ears.

jenks33

Well...that was appalling, worse than the 0-8 defeat in someways. The first Sheffield win after that heavy was just a reaction from having rocket, that is all it was. Things have to be said here, as this is about our club and doing a job this year. It is clear and let us open our eyes here, Lord is a player and a very effective one who leads by example. He was behind the bench tonight with a suit on, and he zero influence on that game for me. Either he can't see what we see, or he can but is uncapable of changing things. That team should have had the hairdryer effect after the first period, but we came out flatter!!!!

Lordo goes on about 'Devils hockey', I'm sorry he knows nothing about it. Devils hockey is playing hard, fast, aggressive and physical hockey. That is what has won us titles in the past. We are a million miles from it. And I know I'm going to get it in the neck by the 'you mustn't critisise brigade' for bringing these points up but the coach sets the game plan and tone. We are a collection of very talented highend players who are not getting coached. An example of this is Andrew Hotham, he should of had a rocket long ago. He is the laziest sloppiest defenceman I have seen for a while. He only gets away with it and is allowed to stay because he generates points. Well that is not good enough for me. Love to see his +/- that would tell a tale. I would gas him, I would have last summer.

We have no identity as a team, we are unable to focus, concentrate on the job in hand and lack ruthlessness. The squeelers grind out championships by whatever means possible while we come second. I know I will get shot down now, but heh, I said my piece.
Great post. I agree with pretty much all of this. Definitely the bit about Hotham, his points production papers over the cracks. His defensive game is abysmal! His concentration and sloppyness in defence is unacceptable. Yes his points production is impressive but a defencemen has to be able to defend

I think its time to start looking at the coaching and gas under performing players.we seem to make the same mistakes game in game out and its killing us.also isn't it the coaches job to make sure the players are pumped up for games?i'm not saying sack lord but I sure think he could do with an experienced assistant coach to help him.as for the players I think some tough decicions need to be made or this season is going the same way as last in a hurry.

Wannabe2

Couldn't agree more Wannabe, I was pretty pleased to see us vs Storm before Christmas thinking for an easy 2 points to widen the gap a bit and witnessed that shit. I will never stop following but unless the team gets the act together I will considering dishing out money to go see it live.
There's no such thing as 2 easy points in this league, but play half hearted and things like tonight will happen.

Ocko

Hotham probably appears lazy because he very rarely comes off the ice. His minutes are ridiculous and the team rely on him too much. With that comes inevitable mistakes.

The problems are within the forwards for me. The line balance is wrong. Completely wrong. Doucet, Myers and Haddad for example; two gritty power forwards and an out and out goal scorer. What the hell are they going to create for him. No coincidence that his goals have dried up since being out with those guys. That isn't their fault and both have been playing well, it's just their game is wrong for Doucet.

Mo has been awful for weeks but we insist on playing him with Martin. Doucet goes on that line and he'll start scoring. He's also taken up the position Douc used to on the PP, and we're now teeing him up on the far side for the one timer.

You earn the right to play top line minutes and PP time. Seems a given to certain players.

Earnie

People have debated whether Lord should be on the ice or on the bench.
Well we got an answer tonight.
Healthy scratch the worst performer next game (take your pick)

I rarely criticise the team but that was two points we could not afford to give away.