Devils v Steelers - Double header thread - CC & League - Chat/Updates

People have bad days, weeks, months. It's impossible for humans to perform at 100%, 100% of the time. And even though it's hard to believe, Bownsy is human too. Besides, our D has been leaving him out to dry recently...

When people on this forum scream for consistency, what they really expect is for the players to unreaslitically perform super humanly and win every single game.

I just hope that the players don't actually read any of this (often) tripe - there is nothing more discouraging than being blasted by your own fans.

Well said I think exactly the same and I know Bownsy personally and I know if he does read the discouraging comments he will just rise above it. He helped me through hockey problems and he says to everything that discouraged me he said 'show them what you can do, and shove it up there bottoms.' In a Yorkshire accent.

People have high expectations of Bownsy because he normally produces excellent results! So it's a compliment really, when people on here notice he's out of sorts and start bitching.

It's often the case that professional sports people have even higher expectations of themselves than everyone else does, so when they believe they're not doing well, the last thing they want or require is everyone else (fans) telling them that they're not performing - they know and feel it more than anyone else!

I'm sure Lordo has had something to say about it, along with solutions (something nobody here has because they're not a coach). Unless it's injury related.

Electro

We can all look forward to a complete change in results then.

Having said that, you don't need to be an expert to realise that something is wrong within the current team, last Saturdays game was so badly messed up. A great motivation for Sunday's game, but one which shouldn't have happened. It could be argued it's an off night, had we had a run of convincing wins before l'd suggest that's an acceptable defence. It's a worry though having a team who needs to have a monumental loss in front of the owners to get a good away win. Was it stress, possibly, l would hope the coaching staff managed that, the whole concept of professional sports is to be the best or be gassed. It's not a pleasant secure working environment for people who cannot achieve results under pressure week in week out, for me that's a worry if it's a realistic reason for Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drainage

If you actually were a Devils fan you'd be embarrassed at such a ridiculous comment.
Last weekend we won up in Dundee.
The previous weekend we won in Belfast.
And the previous weekend we won in Sheffield.

Why are you still on here?
Ah but we didn't beat the Bruins, Leafs , Rangers:):)

Frustrated at many comments on here ....... We won't win every game, we will play poorly at times , the team will know this ..........but this team has talent in spades it just needs to click consistently

bdevil

Has any one else noticed on Elite Prospects it says we've signed Joe Myers on loan? No link to say where this has come from though.
This would probably suggest Bowns is injured.
Also, isn't it odd that after being replaced by Murdy on Saturday he went straight to get changed, didn't stay on the bench like net-minders usually do after being replaced.

James

Administrator
Joe was backup on Sunday so it could be from that. Bowns is injured, Lord has confirmed this. What we don't know is how bad it is. We're lucky we have Murdy who is capable of stepping up.

Finny

Has any one else noticed on Elite Prospects it says we've signed Joe Myers on loan? No link to say where this has come from though.
This would probably suggest Bowns is injured.
Also, isn't it odd that after being replaced by Murdy on Saturday he went straight to get changed, didn't stay on the bench like net-minders usually do after being replaced.
Probably because he was replaced due to being injured and not because of his performance. If he wasn't able to return to the ice then there is no point in him being on the bench.

That's something I would like to see more of, also Myers is very effective at doing this but hasn't done a great deal of it so far this season
I was thinking the same. I saw Myers doing a lot of that in a GB game I watched earlier this year - he was a complete pest for the opposition!

ASHIPP

Tom has impressed with his confidence and positioning. How re-assuring that we have another capable young goalie who can take the reins for a few games. Wish Tom all the best....carry on doing what you are doing!
The Club are doing the right thing giving Bownsey time to recover properly from whatever his injury is. We have seen the downside for some teams when an injured goalie has been brought back too soon....both Wiikman and Murphy now carry recurring niggles as a result.

In the meantime, simple,rock solid defensive play from our skating players will be the best support Murds can be given during games.

Electro

Nobody is expected to win every game, obviously. It's a deeper far more complicated issue. Maybe our resident stat expert could enlighten us with some stats.

Finny

Nobody is expected to win every game, obviously. It's a deeper far more complicated issue. Maybe our resident stat expert could enlighten us with some stats.

We've won our last 5 away games. We're joint top of the league.
Two stats for you free of charge.

Seriously, when you've made yourself look stupid just hold your hand up and admit it. Trying to reply with a smartass answer that makes no sense just makes you look worse.

Finny

I get away with nothing.

The fact is that the suggestion we have a team "who needs to have a monumental loss in front of the owners to get a good away win" is stupid if you make it after they've won their previous 3 away wins. Two of which were in Belfast and Sheffield.
It doesn't matter who makes that comment, it is still stupid.

I've said stupid things on here before and admitted it. Heck, I even said it this Sunday when I doubted we had any chance away in Sheffield.

The problem is that Electro makes comments that suggest he is an expert on the subject. When the facts suggest otherwise. One day he is congratulating Lord on doing a great job as coach and how much he deserves his new contract. And then a couple of days later he is suggesting Lord isn't experienced enough to be coach.

It's as if he is covering all his bases so that in 6 months he can say "I told you so" even though he's also said the exact opposite.

Electro

I have no issue with Lord, I've more than once commented he has potential and the results are not surprising.

I could argue this point further, but it seems some have forget that my comments are on the forum, along with others of the same viewpoint, for all to read, so there is no need for me to defend my stance, comments etc, lm not interested in defending cherry picked comments used to support childish bickering, it's simply not worth it.