Devils v Steelers - Double header thread - CC & League - Chat/Updates

voth26

You'd hope at some point our top enforcer might have enough of Fitzgerald going after louis as well
I think Bordy is possibly being held on a bit of a leash?, he needs to be moved up the lines and within reason given a free reign to batter and create havoc as much as possible, if he takes a few pens so be it as long as it doesn't result in him being ejected from a game

kettdevil1

Im really suprised (in a good way) with tonight. What changed? Were threats mate? Were tactics changed? God knows i guess, but what ever it is keep doing it it clearly it worked
In brief we defended as a team and Lordo led from the front with a wrecking ball of a first shift that rattled Sheffield to the core. The D Men were clearly under instructions not to jump into the play and the result was exceptional. We will be talking about this one for some time. Hoth was superb at both ends of the rink, Murdy was superb and I was so pleased for Doucet.

Diafol

Just got home.

Wow.

I think we all demanded a 100% improvement tonight and we sure got it.
How Murdy was overlooked for MoM I have no idea, having said that a great game by Gotham.
Doucet looked like the player we know he can be.

Fair play to Bordy, he was out of the dressing room at least 2 minutes before everyone else to make sure he had an encouraging word for every single one of his team mates.
A team player / leader right there.
Hope Louis is OK.

Wow.

I think I'll go buy the game from Steelers TV just so I can watch it again tomorrow :)

And how could I forget to mention Bentivoglio ? !

Last edited:

wildthing74

What a way to bounce back and we took the most important 2 points on offer in the 2 games.I said I would prefer a league win if it was split weekend and what a difference 24 hours made!

We came out strong and dominated the first period limiting them to 3 shots(even though the scoreboard had wrong way round) so gave Murdy the protection he would obviously need.As Pete said Lord was playing like a man possessed and though I prefer him on the bench he set the tone with some huge hits.

I was disappointed Louis took the fight at that time even without the injury hitting his head as with us just going 3-0 up why give them chance to shift momentum? There was a long break while they cleared the blood and Steelers scored almost immediately.

Amazing seeing Douc and Benti bag goals as the pressure was starting to show and they got what their work rate deserved.Hotham was pretty much faultless and Brine yet again had a great game doing all the little things well like breaking up the play and his defensive work was huge.

We never at any time looked threatened and that is an unreal statement to make there of all places but we sucked the life out of them I just wish we could play that way at home too.

I am not getting carried away as we have a huge set of games this week but when you think we have lost out on the league the last 2 seasons by 1 game over them lot these type of results could be monumental in March.In previous seasons I always felt like we had gone there writing those games off in early season expecting to lose with the big ice being the ready made excuse but clearly we have found a way to win there and long may that continue.

Nearly 2.00am and I'm too pumped to sleep!

SteveKing

Well I'm on the train out of Sheffield on my way to Heathrow. Tired but happy after yesterday's amazing match.

Obviously Saturday was a terrible disappointment. To have that kind of performance in the 2nd period in front of a sellout crowd is really hard to take. After talking to many of the players after the game, they seemed to know what they were doing wrong and were actually very confident going into Sheffield.

Sunday, they indeed played the way they need to play - home or away. Simple, direct plays. Getting it deep and forechecking hard. I feel that because they care so much about the fans, they try to do more at home and end up turning the puck over. That has been our undoing for each of our losses this year in my eyes. Not surprising that our best games have been on the road.

I had dinner with the team after the game yesterday and certainly every player I spoke to fully recognized the difference so hopefully that translates into improved play at home from here on out...but hey...sports are funny that way sometimes. What seems obvious to us fans sometimes isn't that easy!

My group of 27 crazy Calgarians had an unbelievable time. Thank you so much to the dozens of you who showed us such amazing hospitality. In particular, special thanks to Johnathan and Gerald at Red Army Travel for hosting us yesterday. The service and spirit that they give to the team and the Devils community is truly remarkable.

Already looking forward to my next trip out. In the meantime, let's get on a role here!

Cheers

mazza03

It was lovely to see you all, we live in hope now that the real Devils team comes out to play next Saturday, safe flight home and stay well. x

What a ridiculous posting. We might as well all give up commenting on games and players then, right?! Unless we're the best player in Britain!! Whether you like it or not, Bowns is not at his best at the moment, that's been clear for weeks.

Do you want to try and play against Sheffield, Coventry, Nottingham, three of the hardest teams to play in the league. Remember the five players in front of him have to make a mistake before he conceded. Maybe he hasn't been at his 100% best but nobody is perfect.

Wannabe2

Okay on a positive note, the team we watched Saturday isn't the true Cardiff Devils, however the team we watched Sunday are, if Saturdays team was all we have I would be gutted, but that obviously isn't the case. No excuses for the performance Saturday it was very poor, and the lads let themselves down badly. One other positive is that Louis is okay, he needed stitches but that fall was very nasty and thankfully he is fine. Hopefully we have now turned the corner we were all desperate to turn, and the future can be bright.

Devil94

Wow, what a save from Murdy. World class save in any league. You'd think he's earned the right to start the next game whatever Bowns's fitness.
Great performance and result. I always look at the weekend as a whole. Had we won on saturday I wondered if we would have had that reaction on sunday and won? Who knows, but we won the most important game of the weekend, although it was a shame to lost in front of a full house.

E.D.S.

Murdy has to start next game. It sends the right message that I believe Lord is pushing.. "you play well, you get minutes. If you don't, then you sit". I have no doubt Bowns will be back soon, as the defensive display I saw last night wasn't our usual style (it wasn't just our away from home' style either). If they can keep that style up then Murdy and the team has a chance of sustained success but they do tend to play slightly differently when Bowns is in, may be due to having more confidence in him but regardless seriously well done Murdy. Superb performance. He has to play next game.

E.D.S.

The way Louis hit his head was awful. He pretty much went face first. Would his helmet have made a difference? Not sure but fair play to both of them for taking them off. I really do like Fitzy. Seems honest and hard working. Good hands for his goal on Saturday, albeit a soft one!

Rob Batch

Respect is due to Mark Louis for dropping the gloves with Fritz two nights in a row! Saturday night he caught him with 2 big clubbing 'rights' and energised the team and crowd. Sunday he never really got set quite right which inhibited him. I wasn't happy with the way Fritz pulled him down at the end but I suppose these things can happen in the heat of battle. I recall Josh scrapping with Valabek? , as they went down Valabek held Josh's head so as not to hit the ice. Fair play to the big man. 10 out of 10 to Marks commitment and balls! Hope the gash is not too bad. I am curious to know where Bordy was in all of this? It's been suggested that he has an injury but who knows. Fortress mentality needed for ALL home games!!

E.D.S.

I get what you're saying but from the replay it looked likes Louis' momentum took him down. I'm sure Fitzy would have done all he could - code of conduct and all that. Kudos to Mark though.

I get what you're saying but from the replay it looked likes Louis' momentum took him down. I'm sure Fitzy would have done all he could - code of conduct and all that. Kudos to Mark though.
Agree....nothing Fitzy could do with the Louis fall. Nasty though...pretty much like falling 5ft head first onto concrete. OUCH!

I like Fitzgerald....decent heavyweight and good player. I'm sure he would not have been happy to see the crimson on the Ice from the take down.

Seems like Louis is OK...just wondering if his helmet will fit over the lump on his forehead for the Clan game!