Devils v Stars - 09/01 - 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updates

Finny

As I put on THF:

Zarb elbowed Mark Smith in the corner twice really badly without getting a penalty. As he came out of the corner he elbowed someone else full force (Finnerty/Smith?) and sent them flying. Again no penalty.

Voth comes across and cross-checks Zarb before mouthing off at him. Zarb refuses to drop the gloves so Voth punches him in the chest, still Zarb does nothing so Voth punches him in the face. Zarb takes the punch and then after a pause of about a second hits the floor like he has been taken out by a sniper.

Zarb is writhing around in agony on the ice, but as soon as Voth is in the box - Zarb is back on his feet and skating off without anyone's help.

Voth got two minutes for the cross-check and two minutes for roughing. Right call IMO.

There was definately a delayed reaction in him being punched to him hitting the ice - as that was why he was jeered and got some banter from the blocks nearest the bench as it was a pretty obvious dive.

voth26

samidevils said:
Referees like to give excessive roughness, normally 5+game. That's what I thought would have been called with our referees!! It was a cheap shot from Voth who had a fab game otherwise!!!

If that was our player there would have been uproar!!! I agree Zarb was niggling/goading and cheapshotting all night but IMO Voth was in the wrong.
how did voth cheapshot him voth was right in his face zarb knew they were going, he just wasnt quick enough to throw the first, voth did what he is paid to do and that is to step up and protect the other guys, he went down as if he had been snipered from the back row 12!! as far as i'm concerned there should be no review as voth only received 2mins for roughing, when zarb went of the ice he pretty much went off under his own steam

I don't think Zarb dived as Voth hit him with a good clean hard punch. However he deserved it and had plenty of time to stand and fight with Voth but he didn't want to know.

If Voth hadn't hit him he wouldn't have been doing his job as an enforcer. It was a perfect example of why teams sign enforcers; to stop people taking advantage of smaller players. If Zarb had iced after the incident I would put money on the fact that he wouldn't have been cheap shotting our players or hitting Mark Smith in the face, so the 2 minute penalty would have been worth taking.

voth26

samidevils said:
DevilDom said:
samidevils said:
Zarb lying on the ice holding his face, lots of devils fans cheer Voth like he's just won a massive fight. Zarb gets up I start to clap, some clap and lots of fans boo him..................... I was stunned.
I think had Zarb been genuinely injured then he wouldn't have got booed. Fact was he went down like a sack of spuds. I saw it clearly and it was a definite dive IMO and then proceeded to continue the playacting by curling up a ball on the ice for 2/3 minutes. These guys are professional hockey players and know what is coming their way if they act like Zarb had done up to that point.

IMO they should be taking the divers to task and not the enforcers. Otherwise they may as well all put TuTu's on and prance around the ice like a bunch of pansies.
Well someone who has seen a replay says it wasn't a dive, and thats what I thought at the time.

I was sat in block 9, Voth punched him hard in the face, and he didn't ice the rest of the game so was injured?
i was in also in block 9 can i ask you an honest question what did you want voth to do in that situation, it seems he cant win if he doesnt step up he's wrong and if he does he's wrong and even gets criticized by his own fans when he does the right thing, i would like to hear your reasons as to why you think voth is in the wrong

DevilDom

Rempel16 said:
If I were a Stars fan, I would definitely be in uproar....... That neither Suderman or Makway tried to make Voth pay for what he did.

Voth skated past Makway on his way to the box and Makway didn't even have a word!!!! Voth got away with bullying the Stars on that action alone and Nebus aside, the Stars tough guys pretty much rolled over and had their tummies tickled.
Spot on.

It's no wonder so many teams are suffering with crowds when these so-called tough guys just come over here to coast. The stars were never in the game last night and I would have thought that even being short-benched they might have tried to match us physically with their tough guys. Instead as Rempel said the likes of Makway were more interested in playing up to the crowd. They have been to our tent 3 times now and been rolled over easily 3 times - they could have at least tried something different this time.

i was in also in block 9 can i ask you an honest question what did you want voth to do in that situation, it seems he cant win if he doesnt step up he's wrong and if he does he's wrong and even gets criticized by his own fans when he does the right thing, i would like to hear your reasons as to why you think voth is in the wrong
I agree, it's a hard one. Zarb was niggling etc and deserved to be shown that it won't be tollerated but I think the punch square in the face wasn't the right thing to do as he is now out with concussion (I read somewhere).

Were you the guy sat behind me by any chance??!! :lol:

I'd be very surprised if Voth was cited for this incident. The Penner vs Latulippe incident last week was far worse, but no action was taken. But then again, this is the same league that banned Justin Sawyer for 2 games for sticking up for Jon Pelle after a cheap shot, so who knows?

drainage

samidevils said:
I agree, it's a hard one. Zarb was niggling etc and deserved to be shown that it won't be tollerated but I think the punch square in the face wasn't the right thing to do as he is now out with concussion (I read somewhere).
Sorry but how does a player assess the strength of their punch ? Zarb went looking for it with smaller players , he got it from someone bigger thats the risk he ran when he started IMO.

No one , least of all Brad I would expect , wants anyone hurt but if he has concussion and thats an if it wasnt deliberate. I'd suggest that the EIHL have several recent incidents to review before this is if thats what they intend.

That said we have Hicks on Wed so a ban would save him a few whistle peeps :lol:

wildthing74

If felt all year that Stars D men and supposed tough guys have let them down.Considering that Makway was signed with a rep as a tough guy as was Zarb and then throw in Suderman who was going to Hull to be their tough before their tempory demise and you've got 3 big guys that should be hitting bodies around.
When its not going your way you need to spark something from time to time,these guys don't seem to want to know.Fair play though Nebus is game and he seems to have stepped up many times to get his team going this year although last night wasn't his finest hour with Voth :lol:.

Koop11

Maybe controversial but I like Makway as a player. He’s big, he can carry the puck, he can fight, he plays special teams and has contributed a decent amount of points for the Stars. I can’t think of many players in this league that has had as much ice time then him

I appreciate he is not in the same league as someone like Weller but if you’re looking for a replacement for Weller in the summer then his style is not far different, albeit not at the same level as our current ex NHLer.

voth26

samidevils said:

i dont know depends if you sit with the guy who texts updates to mnl!!!!! if so yeh :lol: :lol:

Rempel16

Koop11 said:
Maybe controversial but I like Makway as a player. He’s big, he can carry the puck, he can fight, he plays special teams and has contributed a decent amount of points for the Stars. I can’t think of many players in this league that has had as much ice time then him

I appreciate he is not in the same league as someone like Weller but if you’re looking for a replacement for Weller in the summer then his style is not far different, albeit not at the same level as our current ex NHLer.
I agree with you koop. Makway is a good player. I feel that he would need a little work on the protective side of his game but I would happily take him in the summer.

He'd have to stop reacting to the opposition fans so much though :lol:

TheStub

Re: Re: Devils v Stars - 09/01 - 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updates

Koop11 said:

I'm with you there. Him and Zarb often carry that team, with both clocking up huge minutes.

I wonder if their lack of rough stuff is more due to their value on the ice. If one of your two 20+ minutes guys is sat for a 10 minute fighting major who will step up for their shifts? I would guess their role would change on a different team.

ASHIPP

Must admit I was also suprised Makway didn't react during the game. He appeared at his most aggressive having a chat with the Vother when they paired up around one face-off! Makway gets tremendous criticism from Stars fans, usually for doing too many shifts. :?
Looks a good player though....even if he and Suderman occassionally looked like they didn't want to be there last night!
Kinos may be out - Stars have just brought Jeff Marshall out of retirement on D.

Job done for the Devils in p1 really but where and when did they 'switch off' or 'cruise' in p2 and p3? Realistically, the Devils were playing with such intensity and all still hunting down goals until the very last klaxon of the game and were made to work hard for them in the last 2 periods by the Stars who managed to disrupt forward play. Credit must be given to Dundee for trying to mount a counter-attack during that time, but the 'Big Red Machine' just rolled on. An extended pp opportunity for Stars put Devils under pressure defensively for 4 minutes - the 5 on 3 brilliantly killed off by the Smith Brothers and Tylor/Stu(?)...only for Stars to score on a Devils' line change.
Finnerty and Vother on fire, welldone to Jon and Scott still at the top of the scoring charts. Credit also to Phil for 3 assists with a hand injury and solid outings for Alex and Joe. :cool:
Both weekend games were good preparation (in different ways) for Wednesday against the Steelers.

voth26 said:
samidevils said:

i dont know depends if you sit with the guy who texts updates to mnl!!!!! if so yeh :lol: :lol:
The blaze fan, yes!!!

Well I am one of the ones who think they eased up, I felt like I was watching a training session at some points. I certainly dont think they were made to work hard when I compare it to watching Saturdays game, but I guess we are all entitled to our opinion.

As for the Zarb incident I thought there was a slight delay between the hit and him falling down and I certainly felt he was milking it, if he was injured then that's a shame but I can see why people thought he was play acting. As others have pointed out he got up quite quickly as soon as Voth went off.

wildthing74

I'm with you on that.Feel bad if he is genuinley injured but for me it seemed way to theatrical the way he went down and when he went to the bench he just sat there and did not get or seek any treatment.
Either way it seems the Stars are getting rough luck with injuries at the moment.I think when they were down last month they dressed about 18 skaters and had by far the biggest squad I've seen down there this year.

If Kudrna picked up a misconduct penalty, shouldn't he have been sent to the box? I know goalies are not benched for minors but I thought they always had to sit out majors and misconducts.