Devils v Stars - 01/01 @ 16:00 - League - Chat/Updates

Devil_Abroad

Sorry but it is not unusual behaviour by A Hotham.He constantly argues with officials and needs to shut his mouth.Lord needs to get a grip.Fournier also wants to learn he is part of a team.We are coasting to a comfortable win when 2 of our best D men get thrown out on majors.A better team than the Stars could have taken that game off us.After getting a public warning and fine from the EIHL we get last nights tantrums.53 mins pens,Fournier with 31,Hotham 12 if the club get suspensions it could be serious for us especially when we are supposedly trying to win trophies.This weeks DOPS should be interesting didnt Stewart of the Blaze get an abuse of official call also.
We will see whether they are serious or not.
Let's remind ourselves what DOPS automatically review;

ALL 2+10, 5+GAME checking to head
ALL 2+10, 5+GAME checking from behind
And ALL match penalties.

So unless Dundee request anything (and will they have either the inclination to when in a different Conference or the money) then nothing DOPS can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ocko

Sorry but it is not unusual behaviour by A Hotham.He constantly argues with officials and needs to shut his mouth.Lord needs to get a grip.Fournier also wants to learn he is part of a team.We are coasting to a comfortable win when 2 of our best D men get thrown out on majors.A better team than the Stars could have taken that game off us.After getting a public warning and fine from the EIHL we get last nights tantrums.53 mins pens,Fournier with 31,Hotham 12 if the club get suspensions it could be serious for us especially when we are supposedly trying to win trophies.This weeks DOPS should be interesting didnt Stewart of the Blaze get an abuse of official call also.
Hotham and Fournier take the flak again. That's a new one, not heard that for at least 5 days :eek: Despite winning comfortably too. Why would it be interesting that Stewart also had an abuse of official call? Have you ever seen a verbal abuse of official call reviewed?

Couldn't care less about Hotham's 10 minutes. We have received hardly any of those calls (if any) all year. Smith was crap. Absolute garbage and ruined the game. I'm actually glad we let him know that too once the game was won. But Lord needs to 'get a grip'? Are you serious? We are one of the most disciplined teams in the league with referees. How many abuse of official calls has Hotham had for you to base that on?

I didn't see what started the Fournier incident so will reserve judgement until then. But it's a physical, emotional game these things happen.

Finny

I didn't see what started the Fournier incident so will reserve judgement until then. But it's a physical, emotional game these things happen.
From what I saw at the time, Fournier was skating backwards as the Stars started to attack. One of the Dundee forwards positioned himself on our blueline behind Fournier, presumably to block Fournier off.

Fournier clearly didn't like this, perhaps a combination of the attempt at interference and because he couldn't see him. Not sure it deserved quite the reaction it did though unless these type of things have been building during the recent games with them.

matbur

And ALL match penalties.

So unless Dundee request anything (and will they have either the inclination to when in a different Conference or the money) then nothing DOPS can do.

Genuine question, what's the difference between a game penalty and match penalty or have I just misread?

I didn't actually see the Fournier incident so came on here to find out it was for slashing. What determines a slashing call being a game misconduct?

Fournier's goal was quite a finish looking back at the reply by the way. Very little space to aim for.

Finny

5+Game means the player misses the rest of that game.
Match means the player misses the rest of that game AND the next game.

Match penalties are all automatically reviewed.
Only Checks to Head and Checks From Behind are automatically reviewed when 5+Game.

ASHIPP

A business-like performance from Devils against a Stars' team who were probably knackered from all their cross country travel/gruelling seasonal schedule.

Great to see a continuation of theDevils'style of play from the Blaze game - Bordy causing havoc, players on short, sharp shifts and different playsrs dropped into lines to mix it up.

This game saw much more net presence, screening opposition goalie, defensive responsibility and covering eachother's positions. PP looked more threatening too....Myers on first unit of pp was an inspired decision.

Smith is tougher this year with reffing but sadly our guys did themselves no favours in p3 for a team usually so controlled.

As for face-off times - we all know what happened with 'Face-Off Gate' last year when the Club first moved into IAW. Simply put, a change permanently of face-off time to 4pm on Sunday should never happen, EVER. So many people would not be able to attend.

Last edited:

Earnie

I have to add that the post game signing event by the whole team was a huge success. I left the bar about 90 minutes after the game and there was still a line up the arena entrance door and beyond. I could not see the whole team but Bordeleau was magnificent with the children. Their faces said it all. Well done everyone.

Russky

He obviously 'stepped over the line' in what he said to Smith otherwise he wouldn't have got the reaction he did. Perhaps Smith had got fed up with all the backchat and sniping and decided that Hotham was the one to cop it with a misconduct penalty.

Ocko

As for face-off times - we all know what happened with 'Face-Off Gate' last year when the Club first moved into IAW. Simply put, a change permanently of face-off time to 4pm on Sunday should never happen, EVER. So many people would not be able to attend.
The club needs to do what is best for the club not a vocal few. Other clubs have seen a rise in attendances with earlier face offs. Looking inwards is such a problem for hockey in the UK, we need to see what appeals to more people, especially getting more kids in (build the interest and get them playing the game). A 6pm face off is too late for children, and is right on top of a meal time. We can't be a closed shop, we need to appeal to a cross section of the area.

august04

The club needs to do what is best for the club not a vocal few. Other clubs have seen a rise in attendances with earlier face offs. Looking inwards is such a problem for hockey in the UK, we need to see what appeals to more people, especially getting more kids in (build the interest and get them playing the game). A 6pm face off is too late for children, and is right on top of a meal time. We can't be a closed shop, we need to appeal to a cross section of the area.
If it's on the agenda again and that's a big 'If' (as comparing New Year's Day when nobody does anything really against a normal Sunday when all shops/services are open and many more people are working), I would expect the club to enter a full consultation process with its season ticket holders and put it to a ballot. That way, they can see what effect it would have on the existing season ticket fan base and offset that against what they think they could get in terms of new season ticket holders, with an earlier face off time. Personally, why change? We're selling out now pretty much every week, it's not physically possible to get any more people in the rink and surely that would be the main objective of any switch to a different face off time.

bb1

Spot on. Hotham is a superb hockey player but definitely runs his mouth a little too much for me at times.

Fournier is taking some dumb penalties and nearly cost us the game we won on penalties against Steelers leaving us short handed in OT. He needs to calm down.

Overall WELL DONE Andrew Lord. He's obviously taken on board what a difference physicality can do to a game and let Bordy and the guys loose. We need to keep this going in the big games we have coming up against Steelers and especially Panthers who have our number. Maybe a physical game against Panthers is what we need to beat them. Our team (minus Fournier and occasionally Hotham) rarely take dumb penalties. Both Steelers, blaze and panthers have guys who will react, slash etc.... when we play a hard hitting physical style of game.

On the officiating side of things Smith has been woeful. He calls very minor things lately and knows how to spoil the flow of a game. I do agree with the misconduct he game Hotham. Refs should have more respect regardless. Hicks IMO has been by far the best this year letting games flow and warning players first before dishing out tonnes of penalties.

E.D.S.

Completely agree. 6pm start, 8pm ish finish means bed time at 9 if you're lucky on a school night. Tough for kids/parents. An earlier one on Sunday would suit me. This is wholly personal and as I've said will upset as many as it pleases.
Good win for the Devils. Whilst Dundee rarely threatened you can only beat what's in front of you and the boys did it well.
Trade made goal from Fornier. Skates one way and fires the other, top shelf, over glove hand. Lovely to watch.
Louis was class.... again. What a find. Such a great skater and Bordy was brilliant. He and his line are doing exactly what I want them to be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Several instances last night demonstrated what an awesome skater and puck carrier Gleason Fournier is. Luckily for us, he's a fantastic finisher too.

Mark Louis's goal was pure hockey smarts. Keeping his position on the blue line during that play, he realises the Dundee players are all commited to the action in front of net. Unmarked, he subtley drifts up ice left of net to receive a great pass. He's right there for a great finish.

BostonBart22

And ALL match penalties.

sheffield may pay for a review on dundees behalf, if you know what i mean,,;););)

Foxy

If it's on the agenda again and that's a big 'If' (as comparing New Year's Day when nobody does anything really against a normal Sunday when all shops/services are open and many more people are working), I would expect the club to enter a full consultation process with its season ticket holders and put it to a ballot. That way, they can see what effect it would have on the existing season ticket fan base and offset that against what they think they could get in terms of new season ticket holders, with an earlier face off time. Personally, why change? We're selling out now pretty much every week, it's not physically possible to get any more people in the rink and surely that would be the main objective of any switch to a different face off time.
Spot on i would hope the club would put loyalty of existing season ticket holders against what they MIGHT get from future fans. If we are selling out now why change it.

As to the game itself good solid first and second periods. Third period we took our foot off the gas but really stupid penalties to take late in the game.... fully expect a ban for Fournier

Outsider

So I guess you're going to criticize Fournier and Hotham the next game for the suit they wear to the game . Hockey is an emotional game and players NEED to play with emotion to be successful. They play on the edge every game and things go on during a game that you have no clue even happened and sometimes things need to be said to an official. Things are also said and done in an emotional game that you probably may regret later but stuff happens in hockey in a split second. You use 'WE' , 'US' and 'OUR' as you are part of the team and that's great because fans invest time and money to support their hometown team but those are words that players and coaches use as well but the only difference is YOU throw players under the bus and the players don't. Lets face it, the official was bad last night and that's evidence of the Devils having to kill off 10 penalties . Go back over all the game sheets this year and tell me one game where the Devils have had to kill off 10 power plays ? That's one full 20 minute period, a 1/3 of the game, where you have to play short handed. Ludicrous .

voth26

Completely agree. 6pm start, 8pm ish finish means bed time at 9 if you're lucky on a school night. Tough for kids/parents. An earlier one on Sunday would suit me. This is wholly personal and as I've said will upset as many as it pleases.
Good win for the Devils. Whilst Dundee rarely threatened you can only beat what's in front of you and the boys did it well.
Trade made goal from Fornier. Skates one way and fires the other, top shelf, over glove hand. Lovely to watch.
Louis was class.... again. What a find. Such a great skater and Bordy was brilliant. He and his line are doing exactly what I want them to be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is why the club kept it at a 6 FO because so many people would not be able to attend games. I work most Sundays and finish at 4.30pm I bring 4 other relatives including my 9 yr old grandson with me. Also Sunday isn't a school night lol