Devils v Panthers - Sat 28 Jan 2017 - FO 7pm - Comments/Updates

Great to get that win, I thought the game was quite scrappy at times from both teams and the Devils really need to stop faffing around when they get a clear chance in front of goal but a much better performance, let's keep it going now and get that momentum going, Belfast are breathing down our necks so we need to get on a roll.

And also a great finish from Bordy for his goal

James

Administrator
The win, the way we won and a win against that particular team were all what was needed. I wasn't surprised to see Doucet benched as he's either injured or very low on confidence as he's been a shadow of what we know he can be the last few games. We need to carry this momentum now. If we can keep playing this way the title is ours. I was surprised that McGratten got panthers MOM, he was particularly uninspiring to me tonight. Unless it was a sympathy vote for him wearing a silly visor :)

Thought the Panthers were very poor tonight, didn't offer much but the Devils played superbly and capitalised on it. Can't rest on our laurels and relax as Shuff would cause us a lot of problems still. Great result but keep the intensity going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backrow

It seemed like the Devils' two quick goals really took some sting out of the Panthers. All in all, I thought it was a very good defensive effort as well.

jenks33

The win, the way we won and a win against that particular team were all what was needed. I wasn't surprised to see Doucet benched as he's either injured or very low on confidence as he's been a shadow of what we know he can be the last few games. We need to carry this momentum now. If we can keep playing this way the title is ours. I was surprised that McGratten got panthers MOM, he was particularly uninspiring to me tonight. Unless it was a sympathy vote for him wearing a silly visor :)
Yeah Mcgrattan shouldn't have got there MOM. For me it should have been Schultz. Every time I see Schultz he impresses me

E.D.S.

I've bemoaned the lack of a performance from this team for a few weeks now but I thought they delivered tonight. The fourth line was superb. Myers hit everything. He had one shift at the start of the third where he laid three hits, almost scored and then prevented a goal at the other end.
Appreciate some called it scrappy at times, I saw a very controlled performance. Face offs were strong, the way we collapsed the box and stopped shots coming through was fantastic, out transition in the neutral zone was good for once (one area that was costing us in terms of turnovers), Haddad and Martin worked tirelessly, Culligan and Lord were everywhere. I really enjoyed that game tonight. I thought the performance was finally there. The shut out was the bonus. Well done Ben.
Great to see Bordy being rewarded too.
That game belonged to the fourth line for me. Really really impressed with them.
Well done to all the guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Yeah Mcgrattan shouldn't have got there MOM. For me it should have been Schultz. Every time I see Schultz he impresses me
Interesting that opposition fans often see things differently - on the Cage, their fans are saying Schultz did nothing but they do think McGrattan needs to get far more aggressive!

august04

Good to see the Devils roll 4 lines very effectively against a short benched and frankly, rather disappointing Panthers team. Full credit to Layne Ulmer - he's upped his game of late after deserved criticism and Bentivoglio looks more effective on a different line from Ulmer too. Lord must play down the stretch if fit, he still adds a lot to this team. I liked all 4 lines tonight and no arguments with Doucet being the odd man out given his form of late. Always refreshing in the EIHL to see a referee who doesn't want to be the star of the show too, I like this guy Schmejkal. Best ref in the league by a country mile.

rocketbob

A great performance from the team tonight and a wonderful result.
As a previous critic of Ulmer I am happy to eat humble pie as all myself and I suspect all of the fans want is to see our players playing to their potential. Layne has been showing this in spades since being moved to a different line.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

osh

Can't comment on the game as I couldn't be there tonight, but a great result especially as the Panthers have had our number in recent games. Hope this inspires the team to realise their full potential and start to get the results we know they are capable of if they believe in themselves. I would expect a tough game tomorrow, but would expect a win nonetheless. Glad Lord played tonight, I feel he is much more beneficial to the team on the ice as opposed to off the ice.
Shame it had to be Doucet who missed out, but that's the way it goes, no one is bigger than the team.

DevilDom

Almost a full sixty minute and all round great team performance. Standouts for me were Bowns, Myers and Ulmer. I've previously stated I was disappointed with Ulmer (although never called for to be gassed) but in the last few weeks he has really stepped it up and shown his class. His passing and vision have always been very good but he has added an edge to his game that was missing. I really hope he can keep this form until the end of the season.

Huge praise also to the ref, Schmejkal who was thankfully unnoticeable and let the game flow, whilst controlling it when needed. I love the fact he doesn't get involved chatting to the benches like some higher profile refs who are perhaps too familiar with some coaches and like the limelight a little too much. He simply makes his decisions and gets on with it. Top marks and definitely best ref in the league for me.

Gutted i couldn't go to the game or watch the webcast as i was in work but loving the result! Glad to see bordy get a goal too. Same again tonight please boys, let's carry this momentum and confidence onwards.

Earnie

That was Devils doing their thing like we know they can. Great game.
Wasn't it nice to have a referee that didn't spoil the game. He didn't really have a lot to do with regard to penalties but he let the game flow. Well done Schmeikle.

Ocko

Best performance of the year for me. I was fearing that after dominating so much of the first without a goal we usually get frustrated but we kept the intensity and we're rewarded with Haddad's goal.

McGrattan was awful. You can see he tries hard, but is still rubbish. After we were rumoured to be signing him for so long, I'm glad we didn't. Bordy offers so much more, he actually makes his hits and intimidates. Surprised McGrattan didn't want a tear up to get his team going too, there was never a better time. Maybe too much respect between those two?

Lots of players were great tonight; Myers, Louis, Bentivoglio, Bordy, Martin & Richardson had his best game in a while. But, particular mention for two: Ulmer, 9 points in 3 games is some return, he looks so dangerous around the net now. His quick pass for Asselin's goal was superb. And Andrew Lord. We just look so much better with him in the side. He never takes a shift off, every line he goes on looks better. His PK time and shot blocking is so good. Still a top, top player at this level. Just a shame he will always have the bench calling him because on the ice he's irreplaceable.

Great response from the team after a bit of a worrying slide at home, and against a team that's had our number for most of this season too. Hopefully this is something of a turning point for the boys now, and they can get back to playing with more enjoyment than pressure.