Devils v Panthers - 02/10 @ 18:00 - CCup - Chat/Updates

august04

Business as usual then; we were world beaters last week and Saturday.

... Then we have one loss (against a decent side in a game that doesnt really matter) and everyone starts being dramatic; Lord has no plan B, seemingly Bentivoglio has no idea how to do a breakout apparently, oh and our physicality is 'lost'.

Amazing. Sack the coach.
Almost 3000 people parted with their hard earned cash to watch that game. Perhaps players need reminding of that once in a while. Every game matters.

ASHIPP

An earlier post said that last night was a game that didn't matter. Have you looked at the CC group table? 4 points from 5 games.

This IS a game that mattered unfortunately. Now only have 3 chances left to gather enough points to qualify for the next round. The loss has put the team under additional pressure now since our winning record at home was damaged last night.

A team short of players due to injuries played their junior import goalie, took their chances and changed their tactics once ahead. The better team won last night....Panthers are finding ways to win. In my book that makes them the best team at the moment.

DevilDom

2 games against the Panthers and 1 goal. No reason to panic (yet) but it is a slight worry.

Disagree with those saying people can't criticise as I'm a firm believer in saying it how you see it. Good performance = praise. Bad performance = criticism (as long as it's reasonable and justified).

I agree with those saying we lacked a plan B. Panthers defence was excellent and they worked extremely hard closing down the space and the shooting lanes for the Devils. Devils seemed to me to be overplaying and trying to score the perfect goal and when that didn't work there seemed to run out of ideas. We really needed a spark last night and although Bordy tried it all seemed a little half-hearted to me, which was probably down to it being a CC game and the effort put in the night before.

I'm sure Lord being on the bench will help to see what isn't working / needs to be put right and maybe he is keeping some things up his sleeve for more important games to come.

solelace84

I do think Corey has got our number tactically. Panthers seem to have let in quite a lot of goals in their last few games, yet we have put 1 away in 2 games!? And I definitely believe we are up there as one of the best teams this year, especially offensively. Curious.

Kal

Panthers seem really defensive playing us, are they like this against other teams? It's no excuse of course a team like ours should have the firepower to break the strongest of defences, maybe a bit too much of an ask after an away win in Belfast?

I wasn't able to see the game last night, but it was said in Lordo's interview with Ice Time TV that Bordeleau was moved up a line - who else was he on a line with?

Koop11

That was a pretty anticlimactic performance in front of a good crowd. We’ve been playing very good hockey of late but it seems when up against an impressive defensive unit like Nottingham’s we struggle to penetrate. I wasn’t at the game in the NIC a couple of weeks ago but it would appear a similar habit was in play – not driving the net and getting in opposition’s faces.

Credit to Nottingham though, they played a great road game. The spoilt the game which made for a scrappy affair that played in their hands. Consequently the crowd was quite and the whole evening was very flat. Once they scored the 2nd goal their only looked to be one winner. Neilson got his game plan spot on.

There was a lot of expectation for last night with the Bordy v McGratton matchup and that, like the whole game, unfortunately was a bit of a let down.

Bad day at the office. New week, new games to practice for. Onwards and upwards. Let’s hope we are a little nastier in our approach.

Wannabe2

I think we need to get nastier, and shoot more often, Gretzky once said you miss 100% of the shots you do not take, and that sums it up for me. We are a very very good team, last night was a hiccup, every team will have them, we now need to get back to playing like we can play.

solelace84

I was never expecting Bordy and Mcgratten to go toe-to-toe last night - Bordy has a broken nose, and Coventry is quickly approaching! He'll want to be as healed as possible for his Klotz revenge next weekend #October8th :p

KaneDevils

... Then we have one loss (against a decent side in a game that doesnt really matter) and everyone starts being dramatic; Lord has no plan B, seemingly Bentivoglio has no idea how to do a breakout apparently, oh and our physicality is 'lost'.

Amazing. Sack the coach.
Passionate fans disappointed in defeat? A non passionate fan isn't a fan in my book. Most comments seem realistic to me.

Devil_Abroad

I wasn't there last night but looking at the Icetimetv highlights seems we had plenty of chances for the go ahead goal in the 2nd so not sure why there are so many doom and gloom merchants on here?

Panthers goals were either D pinching in again allowing 3 on 1 - a Bowns mistake on a shot from the boards - and what looked like a deflection on a shot from the blue line via Batch?

There's was a wicked slash on a stick of one of our players on a breakaway when sure to score in the 2nd - hope that was called.

I don't understand the situation with Meyers last night - can anyone clarify that for me? I was in Nottingham when he played so is this agreement just for 'home' games?

I think 2 wins from next 3 CC games will put us through. So happy that the game last night wasn't a league game

Hope S Hotham's injury isn't a bad one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Electro

Amazing. Sack the coach.
The team owners have on several occasions expressed their ambitions for the club. It's no secret, supporters and the opposition are well aware of those ambitions.

To be able to achieve those ambitions the club needs to have in place the required skills in all its departments all of the time.

It maybe only a CC game, I've read and heard many a comment that it makes no difference and that the real target is the league. I'm afraid their wrong, for many reasons.

Maybe a few posters are simply pointing out potential issues.

pjj365

Things are getting bad. Once again I agree with Electro

We want the triple crown and it is "just a cup game"does now wash

It wasn't just a cup game when we won in 2015 or when we missed out last season

I just don't get it - every game is important - that is the nature of UK hockey. Still as others say it was a bad day at the office so we need to move on and qualify as high as we can

BostonBart22

I wasn't there last night but looking at the Icetimetv highlights seems we had plenty of chances for the go ahead goal in the 2nd so not sure why there are so many doom and gloom merchants on here?

Panthers goals were either D pinching in again allowing 3 on 1 - a Bowns mistake on a shot from the boards - and what looked like a deflection on a shot from the blue line via Batch?

There's was a wicked slash on a stick of one of our players on a breakaway when sure to score in the 2nd - hope that was called.

I don't understand the situation with Meyers last night - can anyone clarify that for me? I was in Nottingham when he played so is this agreement just for 'home' games?

I think 2 wins from next 3 CC games will put us through. So happy that the game last night wasn't a league game

Hope S Hotham's injury isn't a bad one

BostonBart22

oops, to devils abroad about myers, devils and nottingham had an agreement in myers signing for us that he couldnt play in the challenge cup group stages, he did play in nottingham as it doubled up as league and cup, hope that makes sense.

Sliput

Almost 3000 people parted with their hard earned cash to watch that game. Perhaps players need reminding of that once in a while. Every game matters.
My boss pays my wages and has done for the last 8 years, doesn't mean i don't have a bad day. I do my job to the best of my ability, sometimes It doesn't always go the way i want it to.

Devil_Abroad

oops, to devils abroad about myers, devils and nottingham had an agreement in myers signing for us that he couldnt play in the challenge cup group stages, he did play in nottingham as it doubled up as league and cup, hope that makes sense.
Thank you - that makes sense. Though why they selected cc only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk