Devils v Panthers - 02/10 @ 18:00 - CCup - Chat/Updates

Obviously disappointed with the result but games like this happen. We didnt show up and were never really in the game. Panthers are so solid defensively and lawrence is on fire at the moment. Shortbenched but played good solid hockey, a sign of a good team.
I thought Bordy was great tonight and showed he offers quite a lot other than being the policeman. Doucet is having a tough time but deffinately not through lack of trying, thought he gave everything tonight and im sure his luck will change soon.
All teams have games like these, but I for one am glad it was in a CC game and given the choice would have taken the win over belfast over this game.
Onwards and upwards, just a bad day at the office...nothing more nothing less.

Wannabe2

Obviously disappointed with the result but games like this happen. We didnt show up and were never really in the game. Panthers are so solid defensively and lawrence is on fire at the moment. Shortbenched but played good solid hockey, a sign of a good team.
I thought Bordy was great tonight and showed he offers quite a lot other than being the policeman. Doucet is having a tough time but deffinately not through lack of trying, thought he gave everything tonight and im sure his luck will change soon.
All teams have games like these, but I for one am glad it was in a CC game and given the choice would have taken the win over belfast over this game.
Onwards and upwards, just a bad day at the office...nothing more nothing less.
Absolutely spot on.

matbur

One of those nights tonight, we werent at the races at all, we could still be playing now but when it ain't your night, it ain't your night, all teams go through that, it's now about forgetting a bad day at the office, and moving on. We are a very very good team, and much better than what we showed tonight, great shame that in front of a good crowd we blew it. So that's now history and this team is so much better than what we saw tonight.
Pretty much my take exactly. Did anyone else think we looked a bit tired tonight?

One to draw a line under, regroup and move on.

Johnnybravo1927

Most impressive thing about McGrattan tonight was the size of his head, its massive. Looked like an armoured car on his shoulders. Other than being amazed at that I thought we looked very one dimensional tonight. Plenty of effort but too mant players didnt bring their A game tonight. We will do better next time. Doucet worked his socks off as did Haddad. Bordy had a good game but nobody else was that great

solelace84

Absolutely crap tonight.
Bentivolio is starting to get on my nerves if im honest, he keeps slowing play down and rarely wins his 1 on 1 battles. Also lacking scoring threat & if im honest, I really expected more
I think that's a bit harsh... You must be watching a different guy to me! He may not have had his best game tonight, but neither did a lot of guys! Bentivoglio adds a lot to this new team and I for one am glad he's here!

Eh?...I thought Myers was out because he'd run the Cardiff Half today to raise money for Matzka.

That was Joseph Myers lol...

Also did anyone else notice that Mcgratten looks like Ron Perlman with his helmet on. Made for some funny moments amongst the misery of losing.

JT666

If ever you needed evidence of how significant Myers is to our team, and how he was probably the difference between us winning the league, and losing it, last season, tonight was it.

Am I frustrated? You bet. However, I'm just glad it wasn't a league fixture. Would have taken winning at Belfast over winning this one every time. Still think we will beat the Blaze in our group, and still think the league should be our priority this year.

As with our loss at Nottingham, I also didn't think the Panthers, whilst obviously a really good team, were overly impressive. Better than us tonight for sure, but not to such an extent that any alarms bells are ringing. Lawrence is their top scorer at the moment, and he usually loses his head at some point.

As for the McGratten/Bordeleau debate? The former may have outscored our 58, but with Bordy moving up the lines, we witnessed more of his skill tonight, with some great passes. McGratten, with his comic Ray Charles esque tinted vizor, looked menacing, but I sense we may have the more enthusiastic team player. Especially further into the season.

My only real concern at this early stage is the lack of scoring from Doucet. Not through a lack of effort, but if I was to put Lord on the ice, he would be the man to make way against Coventry in favour of some extra clout. On the other hand, if Doucet scores, I think that will kick start his season.

jimmy snels

I think that's a bit harsh... You must be watching a different guy to me! He may not have had his best game tonight, but neither did a lot of guys! Bentivoglio adds a lot to this new team and I for one am glad he's here!

That was Joseph Myers lol...

Also did anyone else notice that Mcgratten looks like Ron Perlman with his helmet on. Made for some funny moments amongst the misery of losing.

Just the way i see it. I watch doucet and although he's not scoring he's working his tail off most nights. I want more.

ASHIPP

Bordy would certainly create plenty of space on that top line with Ulmer and Bentivoglio. I still loved that crash and bang style of Haddad-Myers- Lord from early season. Perhaps it will make a much welcomed reapearance soon!

Seem to recall Doucet taking a long time last season to find his form. Just like last year he has been paired on three out of our four lines. Hopefully eventually his efforts will pay off.

jimmy snels

Mcgrattan, just to comment, looked slow and ponderous and offers imho much less than bordy, who showed a deft touch a number of times, big hits and genuine play making skills. Im glad we have him not mcgrattan. He was like the titanic out there and to be honest looked like a more robotic version (with shitter visor) of robocop!

Thought we we're poor tonight, there wasn't a plan B. From where I sit we've seem to have lost the blue collar, in your face, crash and bang,physicality that Devils fans love. We should have sparked the game early in the 3rd by someone dropping the gloves or putting in a string of big hits. At the moment Bordy is doing some good work by turning over the puck but we are not capitalising on it.
We have played a system that sometime exposes us on breakaway, the Panthers are the first team that have been able to capitalize on this as we weren't able to score the usual number of goals. It's all very well playing an attacking style as long as you can actually put numbers on the board. It could be that sometimes you just need to play dirty....
Onwards and upwards

I think we came out brilliantly, constant pressure and great play. Just another one. Where we couldn't bury it.
After our goal I thought we'd be ok but no, gutted to lose in such a way.
I'm putting it down to 'one of those' but I call out to Lordo of why we can't beat the Panthers x 2 with this squad.
We ARE the better side bu need to convert that into goals. I await it.

backrow

Honestly, I thought the Haddad, Culligan, Bordeleau line was the team's best tonight. They weren't on for any goals against but saw little ice time in the last 10 minutes plus when the bench was shortened.
There was a real bad pinch by a D on their 1st goal that set up an odd man rush. Their 2nd goal was not great and on their 3rd goal Bentivoglio was pinned by two of their players just inside their blueline and our two other forwards got caught deep in their end for some reason, setting up another odd man rush. The Panthers seemed to take advantage of a few miscues while the Devils had numerous blocked shots, missed nets and extra passes.

First 8 minutes i thought we were great. Good forecheck, playing hard and looked very dangerous. Panthers scored a goal and I don't know if heads just dropped a little or a coaching call from the bench but we appeared to ease off the physicality and began trying to play 'pretty' hockey. looking for that perfect goal. So frustrating to watch from the stands.

The most worrying thing for me was the third period. Once we go a goal down, you'd expect us to do something to try to change the game be it a big hit, a fight or even a change of tactics but we did nothing! Just continued with the same failing tactics trying to walk the puck in.
Bowns didn't have a great night in net but i think the reason we lost tonight was down to coaching.
Corey has had Lords number for a while now. Panthers played a solid road game and shut us down but Lord just seemed to lack any plan B as usual. He worries me in the fact has seems to have no idea how to change a game or no plan B when plan A isn't working. And as someone else said, calling a time out with 30 odd seconds left in the game... really? About 5 minutes late i'm sorry.

We have recruited a great team again this year & will win many games but I cant help but feel Lord still needs some help on the bench - it's not the first time i've felt we've been out coached and out of ideas.. Unlike other posters, i'm not in any rush to see Lord back on the ice either though. I think we've looked better without him in the line up although expect we'll see him ice next weekend with Hotham injured.

Ocko

Business as usual then; we were world beaters last week and Saturday.

... Then we have one loss (against a decent side in a game that doesnt really matter) and everyone starts being dramatic; Lord has no plan B, seemingly Bentivoglio has no idea how to do a breakout apparently, oh and our physicality is 'lost'.

Amazing. Sack the coach.

Foxy

and everyone is entitled to express an opinion.

They played terrible last night. Ive seen them play better and know they can play better. Im not going to candy coat it just to please others and no im not asking for the coach to be sacked but we have to learn to adjust during a game if things arnt going our way