Devils v Blaze - 24/09 @ 19:00 - CCup - Chat/Updates

terry hunt

For those who watched the game on Icetime was this incident caught by the cameras?.The puck had moved away from the bench when this happened.It wouldnt be the first time Hick's incompetence has been missed because there is no video evidence.I am convinced this incident was staged deliberately by Coventry to disrupt the Devils who had the game won by this time,Danny Stewart is an old Blaze hand who knows all the dirty tricks.I hope our self control will be better than this we could be facing multiple suspensions.
There are many fans who love all this but it is a poor substitute for winning trophies.I suspect that Coventry will be the winners from this.
Why was no action taken against the idiot who was violently banging the plexi around the Blaze penalty box?

Finny

My first game this season and was expecting a lot but was left very disappointed by the Devils tonight. I thought they were lucky to get that win after dominating the first period against a poor Blaze team. Why is it that every time we are on the powerplay we insist that we try and walk the puck into the net and don't shoot from the blue line. Only time we did was in the third period and we scored from that. Passing was poor and the defence was caught out a few times with them making passing errors or charging out only to lose the puck and get caught with one d man against 3 Blaze forwards. I also couldn't understand why Lord didn't play and drop Culli into d as Fournier obviously ain't 100% yet.on the good side I see Hicks still hates Cardiff and makes some baffling calls, incident at the Blaze bench where Bordeleau gets a game or match penalty for blood on the ice and the Blaze guy gets a high stick penalty for using his stick to hit an opposing player from his bench. Brought 2 friends to see their first hockey game and thankfully they loved it but I was left very disappointed by an average Devils display against a poor Blaze team
If you were disappointed by this game then perhaps Ice Hockey isn't the game for you.
Tonight had pretty much everything. But then Devils-Blaze games usually do. It's very rare to beat Stewart from distance as he comes out so far to cut down the angle. Yes we scored with one in the 3rd period but that was more to do with him having lost his head and he was instantly removed from the game. Earlier in the game we did pass it around and Joey Martin scored. Plus the number of shots from the blueline that get to the netminder without being blocked by a defenceman is very low.

I know it is a favourite for all hockey fans to criticise their team's powerplay, but surely after a couple of seasons of watching the sport you realise that even the best teams don't score on every powerplay. In fact most only score on 20% of powerplays and 25% is deemed good.
Last season we led the powerplay average for the league and after the first couple of games this season we do again. In fact the stats the league sent out last week had us on an incredible 40% success rate.

As far as the game itself, I thought it was brilliant. We dominated the first period but as is so often against Brian Stewart we only led by one. Blaze's goal in the second period just after our second gave them a renewed belief and they started to cause us more troubles, but we hit the post twice and missed one or two great chances that could have seen us go clear.

The early powerplay to the Blaze early in the third could have swung the game back in their favour but it did the exact opposite. Two short-handed goals gave us a 3 goal lead, Stewart lost his head and when he put his team on the PK we made it 5-1. Klotz then attacks Bordeleau from the bench, and as it was behind the play the officials don't see what actually happened. Because of the way the penalties worked though another penalty against us straight after puts us on on the PK for almost four minutes and Blaze score twice to make the game interesting again. But as soon as they pull the NM we break and score a 6th to put the result beyond doubt.

Looks like it was a punch and not a stick. But either way should be a couple of games ban. Hope nothing for Bordy, could quite see what he was doing down the tunnel. Also, Louis will be reviewed, hopefully nothing there too.
He was talking to Klotz through the plexi. He then punched the plexi when he found out he was thrown. Absolutely nothing ban worthy though!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Perfect example of a 'let the players sort it' situation. A ban will make no difference and if anything the longer Bordy has to wait the more pissed he will be.

Any ideas will DOPS review Louis pen today before the steelers match or will it be reviewed afterwards? It was a 2+10 for check to the head which is an automatic review from what I remember. Also On the Klotz incident I know Bordy went at the bench just before being hit in the face did he just have words or did any punches get thrown from our side? Just wondering if we are going to end up with another Salters incident or not. I really hope not especially before tonight's game.

Devil94

No nothing will happen before tonight. Only if he had a match penalty he wouldn't play. Could really do with Bordy and Louis next week v Belfast though so hopefully nothing in the week. Can anyone confirm if Bordy is playing tonight after a broken nose? If he does he might not be as ready to sort fitzy out if needed if he has a broken nose

Well first game for me at the IAW, and loved it. As others have said it always tends to have a bit of everything when it comes to games against the blaze.
Thought we played well and controlled the game for the most part, some niggles here and there, the out pass from D being the main one. Thought it went a bit flat in the 2nd and seemed Bordy was throwing some hits and got a bit more icetime which got the crowd going again. I was sat in block 19 just behind the penalty boxes and saw Bordy skate past the blaze bench for a line change, stopped and skated back to the blaze bench and all hell broke loose. Obviously veing on the opposite side I didn't see much of the incident, only that Bordy dropped to ground and shoving hicksy after he got up (i'm guessing due to hicks' ridiculous call)
Fair to say he was he was not a happy chappy and spent a bit of time showing klotz the extent of his unhappiness at what happened. Not nice to see obviously but cowards always get found out and he has made himself a big target now. Have to say I loved mark louis' reaction, yes he got called up on some penalties but the statement of ' you wanna play rough? Ok then ' was clearly sent, and he also had a few choice words for selby in the box too.
Shoutout for me goes to joey haddad and david brine, i thought both were fantastic. Haddad had some huge hits and shows he can be the complete all round forward. Brine just does the simple things right and his hockey smarts and engine are second to none, a player like that won't get the plaudits but is invaluable to any team. Can't wait for the when the blaze come to town next!

KaneDevils

Just to highlight a point made by finny, you are NOT expected to score or have 10 plus shots on a power play. Teams will cycle the puck and will shoot whilst the goalie is out of position. On average, teams pp success will be around the 20% mark.

Match review up on the Devils site clears some points up re the Bordeleau / Klotz indecent. "The next shift, things kicked off when Garrett Klotz hit Patrick Bordeleau from the Blaze bench with his stick, dropping the big man and cutting him open. Bordeleau was not happy and was eventually thrown out for coming back off the bench onto the ice to get at Klotz. Klotz was given a 5 minute major high sticking penalty and a game misconduct while Bordeleau a double minor for roughing and a game misconduct for leaving the bench. "

Just to highlight a point made by finny, you are NOT expected to score or have 10 plus shots on a power play. Teams will cycle the puck and will shoot whilst the goalie is out of position. On average, teams pp success will be around the 20% mark.
+1 I thought for the most part we retained possession very well on pp and were cycling well.

Also, I hope the Louis hit doesn't get an additional ban. Thought 2+10 was fine. Tbh I quite liked the fact that he went out there to make a statement immediately after the Bordy incident.

Nobel kicking with the blade at Hotham was pretty low also. During a line change Noble kicked backwards like a horse (Donkey would be more appropriate).

What happened with Taz? Was he thrown out by security?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My take on it, Taz saw potential for something to escalate and put him self in a position to prevent it as a physical barrier until security turned up. Very quick thinking if this is the case. I think the Blaze bench then asked for Taz to be moved away. Taz then had a word in the security teams ear to ham it up a bit and try and lighten the mood somewhat. Taz is incredibly talented at what he does.

My first game this season and was expecting a lot but was left very disappointed by the Devils tonight. I thought they were lucky to get that win after dominating the first period against a poor Blaze team. Why is it that every time we are on the powerplay we insist that we try and walk the puck into the net and don't shoot from the blue line. Only time we did was in the third period and we scored from that. Passing was poor and the defence was caught out a few times with them making passing errors or charging out only to lose the puck and get caught with one d man against 3 Blaze forwards. I also couldn't understand why Lord didn't play and drop Culli into d as Fournier obviously ain't 100% yet.on the good side I see Hicks still hates Cardiff and makes some baffling calls, incident at the Blaze bench where Bordeleau gets a game or match penalty for blood on the ice and the Blaze guy gets a high stick penalty for using his stick to hit an opposing player from his bench. Brought 2 friends to see their first hockey game and thankfully they loved it but I was left very disappointed by an average Devils display against a poor Blaze team
Totally baffled by your version of the game! Devils dominated a good coventry team with our transitional play way too much for them. "Passing was poor"....I'm left scratching my head with that one!!

Wagstaff

I do sometimes wonder why you are called the Devils, the way you paint the picture you should be the Cardiff saints and wear purest white linen and a little halo on a stick instead of a helmet.
+1 I thought for the most part we retained possession very well on pp and were cycling well.

Also, I hope the Louis hit doesn't get an additional ban. Thought 2+10 was fine. Tbh I quite liked the fact that he went out there to make a statement immediately after the Bordy incident.

game sheet says it was 2 + match for illegal check