Devils v Blaze - 07/01 @ 19:00 - League - Chat/Updates

E.D.S.

To all those who quoted my post and disagreed with me:

I stand by what I posted and what I saw. If you disagree with me that's fine and I have no problem with that, so in that case lets all agree to disagree. It doesn't mean to say I am right or wrong, its just my opinion based on my interpretation of what I saw on the You tube video clip
Relax. Everyone is just voicing an opinion. Whether you're in the minority or not, it's what makes this a forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jenks33

I probably would have taken a point after the first period but we should have won that game. I thought Stewart was big for them tonight where as Bownsy would probably want a couple of goals back. Biggest frustration for me was the powerplay again. I thought our vision and puck control was very average tonight on the powerplay.
A few others have mentioned it lately but how bad has dean smith been this season!? For both teams. I never thought I'd say this but I'd rather have hicks in charge

Wannabe2

I really enjoyed the game tonight, frustrating at times, edge of seat at times, glad to take a point, but thought overall we deserved two. Coventry are a different team from two months ago,and when they play as they can they are a handful for anyone. We were never ahead tonight, but thought we played some sublime hockey in the third, Steward was his usual self, knocking the goals off their moorings at every opportunity, We dropped a point, Steelers dropped a point, and Belfast gained a point on us both. Big game tomorrow, come on lads.

Hi, bit confused, we came away with 1 point tonight, yey! But I don't understand...

How did we get 1 point? I thought it was 2 for a win then nothing...what don't I know?

Jen

mazza03

Hi, bit confused, we came away with 1 point tonight, yey! But I don't understand...

How did we get 1 point? I thought it was 2 for a win then nothing...what don't I know?

Jen
If the game is level after 3 periods then it goes to O/T and whoever loses get 1 point and the winner gets two. If there isn't a winner after O/T it goes to penalties and the same scoring applies.

Bit of a funny one tonight. Should of been 2 up after a few minutes but ended the period 2 down after an error and poor defending. Great 1st and 3rd period but to no avail. Thought the game would have been a lot more physical, was hoping for a fight (or two). Credit to the Blaze they took their chances. Boys need to step up tomorrow.

august04

We got out of jail last time out against Coventry but no arguments from me against a Blaze win tonight. They definitely deserved a point and it can easily go against you in OT. But who the hell thought it was a good idea to pair Ulmer and Bentivoglio in 3 on 3, when we have much more mobile skaters sat on their arses on the bench not getting a sniff of any OT action? And sure enough, a poor shift and a cool finish on the breakaway. Not our best night, pretty average performance I thought , bar Andrew Hotham who drove us on to get a point anyway. He has his critics on here (and I've been one of them at times) but bloody hell, we will miss him when he's gone.

august04

On a completely separate issue, I was reading about Steve Moria in the programme tonight and stunned to hear that he's not involved in hockey anymore and is considering a move back to South Wales. Surely, the club could make use of this Devils legend in some capacity, even perhaps helping out with the coaching team. Perhaps, worth a phone call anyway?

DevilDom

Disappointed to lose but it was a decent point after being 2 goals down twice in the game. Didn't think we played badly or Blaze amazing but they probably deserved that after the close games we've had recently. They were simply more clinical whilst we ran out of get out of jail free cards and the luck didn't go our way tonight.

Frustrated again with Dean Smith's performance which I found quite erratic. He made some really soft calls early on but then seemed to let a lot go as the game progressed. Reminded me of Hicks performance from a few years ago.

Also frustrated with Devils who a after getting level at 3-3 seemed to take their foot of the gas and settle for a point. Whether we just ran out of steam or thought we'd take the point and battle for the 2nd in OT I don't know.

A few players not doing enough for me, particularly in the tight games and with Lord on the bench it's difficult to stomach knowing he could do more than a lot of those on the ice.

Russky

Very disappointed with the loss but its better to lose in overtime than in regulation, which I know is stating the obvious. The small crumb of comfort being that Sheffield lost in OT as well tonight so didn't gain any ground on us. The positive is the way we fought back from 1-3 down to gain the point from taking the game into OT. It seemed to me, following the game on MNL that A Hotham had one of his better games tonight but the Devils were lacking in certain other areas especially the on ice line combos during OT.

Last edited:

osh

Agree with a previous comment, we should have been 2-0 up within 3 or 4 minutes but missed badly on both occasions, especially Matt Myers effort. Bowns is not having the best of times lately, he would want at least 2 of the goals back tonight for sure. I've been critical of A.Hotham many times, tonight he was head and shoulders above any of our players.
As for Bentivoglio, he had an absolute mare tonight ! His distribution was crap and he never once looked capable of getting a shot on target let alone score a goal. His fanning of a shot during the overtime 3 on 3 cost us their breakaway boal and I just don't know what he is out there during overtime anyway. I don't doubt his effort, however, he just looks off the pace in everything he does and to think that both Jones and Piggot sat on their behinds when he was out on a normal shift is beyond me. Sorry folks, I'd gas him tomorrow. Lord needs to sort things out, it looks as if the team were still on holiday for most of tonight's game.

Kal

Did Jones or Piggott ice at all tonight? I don't remember seeing them.

Overall I think it was an ok game bit disappointed because i feel coventry aren't at our level and we're making things hard for ourselves. I think the game plan went a bit south when Bordy went over awkwardly and hurt himself.

Amusing seeing Noble literally turtled when Bordy went to hit him unfortunately I think it hurt Bordy more.

Hotham 100% deserved MoM tonight great game and minimal mistakes.

ASHIPP

We can blame Dean Smith all we want to but there were so many other things that stopped Devils from getting that vital win tonight....

A Blaze team, hellbent on winning, who took their chances well and converted, screened Bownsey and worked the corners. An opposition goalie who, on the night, was better than ours. A Blaze team who played with consistency for vitually 60 minutes.

For the Devils, not converting 3 clear goalscoring chances in the first 5 minutes was frustrating. To then go down by two goals then makes battling that much harder. And to allow yet another unassisted go....the very thing Lordo talks about in his match programme article!

Several players given plenty of icetime had poor games tonight. Yet others had very few shifts - Mo, David Brine,CJ and Piggsie - are they carrying injuries?

In training, there must be more than 6 players on our roster of 18 that practice 3 on 3 overtime. Same 6 or 7 players used again tonight - must be on their knees!

Hope Bordy is ok after his injury. A warrior still albeit on limited shifts but Blaze could see he was injured and less potent. Devils' confidence took a knock at that point. Lordo had to abandon 'big body hockey' to an extent. Blaze just adjusted their game plan accordingly winning a lot of corner battles and gritty turnovers.