Devils v Bili Tygri Liberec - Thurs 31 Aug 2017 / 7:00pm

It's weird how some people seem to write our league hopes off based on recent CHL results. People seem to forget that before the CHL campaign we beat Nottingham away and at home. Yes I know they weren't at their full potential but still. I doubt they will be writing us off as contenders for the league. When the score was 4-3 in last nights game Liberec had twice as many shots on goal as us yet a one goal difference. Genuinely felt sorry for Bownsey in the last ten but thought he was awesome considering. According to the stats on CHL website he had same save percentage as the Liberec goalie 87%. Thought that considering the lack of possession and the way the game was going the Devils 3rd goal was a real positive. I'm prob talking rubbish just the positives I took from the game.

august04

Strange because I think Paris is our best d man so far. Not been convinced by Reddick as a d man yet but will wait until a month into the league season before making a full judgement.
Hotham and Fournier have started slow but no worries there as we know what they can do.
Louis and Richardson look their normal selves to me.
It's a shame Scott Hotham didn't return, he was a big loss to our D corps. Reddick is far too offensive for my liking and leaves us too exposed at the back end when he jumps into the play without anyone covering. I couldn't see from his previous background why we signed him and I'm still not sure if he's right for us in truth. When the EIHL season starts in earnest and everyone is fit, he'd be the spare import for me.

You could spin that around, why do some feel we will win the league. Most of the comments I've read don't write us of, but merely question whatever they have witnessed. I'm certainly not going to write off the team on the back of any pre season game, of which the CHL are pre season preparation games. I say that as unlike Nottingham, l don't believe we have a team structured to do anything more than participate in and prepare for our regular season goals. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm sure financial limitations have got in the way, both in terms of players and travel costs progressing further in a competition in Europe would be l imagine, huge. I'm looking forward to an exciting season, I'm sure even those who comment on what you say is weird, are also looking forward to a good season of entertaining games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Foxy

Forgot Fournier but like Richardson solid
Not writing the team off just stating at this present time imo the D is not right yet

pjj365

You could spin that around, why do some feel we will win the league. Most of the comments I've read don't write us of, but merely question whatever they have witnessed. I'm certainly not going to write off the team on the back of any pre season game, of which the CHL are pre season preparation games. I say that as unlike Nottingham, l don't believe we have a team structured to do anything more than participate in and prepare for our regular season goals. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm sure financial limitations have got in the way, both in terms of players and travel costs progressing further in a competition in Europe would be l imagine, huge. I'm looking forward to an exciting season, I'm sure even those who comment on what you say is weird, are also looking forward to a good season of entertaining games.

Pre-season games

What!?!?

Should we progress (I can dream) CHL games will eat into our "season"

We have 2 early "in season games" v Vajko (sic) which will interfere with the league

In an ideal world these games would become our day to day reality and just part of our season

Not going to happen this year but in future years who knows

These games are an integral part of our season

dave

Ditto that!

A nice guy sitting in front of me did try to explain to me but i still have no clue...
Have a look it the IIHF rule book Its rare but covered under rule 113 part 3.
http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/Sport/IIHF_Official_Rule_Book_2014-18_Web_V6.pdf

There was a lot of rare things that can happen to test timekeepers and scorers and most happened at some point last night!!
Add on top of that the clock issue on 3 pens made it very difficult for the timekeeping team.

In a competition that we are not expected to win and by right expected to lose every game, and early in our regular season, following two big away defeats...I was impressed by the effort and the way the team stepped up last night. The first period was a thing of beauty before the irrepressable Liberec, faster, more precise, and more skilful imposed their class on us. They are a good team, no doubt. And yes, the officiating was confusing at best or rubbish at worst for spectator, coaching staff and players alike.
Yes, Sunday I will probably have to wear a hard hat as we will be under seige but I know there will be no less effort on show.
Am I worried for the season? No.
The core we have retained are champions and consistent outstanding performers in our league and nothing in recent games gives me cause to change that view. We are blessed with the most forward thinking backers, MD, and coach in our league. Lordo is a thinker and always looking to learn and progress. The lessons are now coming thick and fast and we have the best coach to make use of that learning material. This is a great time to be a Devils fan.

off to find my hard hat for Sunday....

There does seem to be some issue regarding using the term "Pre Season" for CHL games. For me any game prior to the regular season is a pre season game, your purest or pedantic person has argued the CHL competition isn't in the traditional sense of a pre season game. I don't really understand why the issue of what category one places these games.

pjj365

Terminology does not matter to the faithful but may influence walk ups and the lesser committed ST holders

Be that as it may I can't wait for Sunxay. Selfishly, I don't even care about attendance.

We can compete, will play our hearts out and will probably lose BUT it should be a hockey fest to relish as was last night

Just made me chuckle reading Twitter posts, such irony. We are lucky to have quality hockey teams now playing the UK who haven't travelled that far and is within relatively easy reach to the UK, although some still foolishly view Euro hockey as being boring.

pjj365

Just made me chuckle reading Twitter posts, such irony. We are lucky to have quality hockey teams now playing the UK who haven't travelled that far and is within relatively easy reach to the UK, although some still foolishly view Euro hockey as being boring.

There is a mindset that sees hard hits as not being part of "euro hockey" or that think NHL is soft Both so untrue

As you say this is far from boring We should relish it and learn for future recruitment

Kipper

ASHIPP

After watching Panthers v Mountfield, I really believe I have seen this years' Elite LeagueChampions. Granted that Mountfield are seeded lower than the teams the Devils are playing. But, God the Panthers looked fast, organised and the line chemistry was there. Add to that a coach and starting goalie with a wealth of European experience. That level of speed and fitness will run rings around some Elite League teams this season. If they stay fit, the Panthers are going to be very, very dangerous.

First period against Liberec I thought the Devils held their own and worked hard for an early lead. But that level of fitness, speed, pressure from our Czech opponents was overwhelming once they got going. I don't think we had more than a handful of break chances in second half p2 or all of p3. Devils virtually pinned in their own zone.

Despite playing with determination and energy, I'm afraid that drained away as Liberec's onslaught continued.

There were certainly lessons to learn. Hopefully the team can work on control of the neutral zone and turnovers which cancelled out so many excellent faceoffs.
Silly penalties and mistakes at key times weakened their chances when the momentum was with them in earlier parts of the game. Those players responsible knew it too. For two opposition goals again, our defence were caught too deep in the offensive zone to protect Bownsey. Those players responsible also knew it.

It's a thrill watching the top European teams. The skill and fitness is phenomenal. I am sure the Devils will learn a tremendous ammount from the experience. I am just hoping this doesn't take it's toll on their fitness or mindset in a negative way.

As Lordo says in the match programme, the real focus turns to the domestic competitions next week. Hope that their repeated consecutive losses in the CHL can be converted into some positive preparation.