Devils v Banska - 20/08 & 21/08 - Exhibition - Chat/Updates

Ocko

Re: Devils v Banska - 20/08 & 21/08 - Exhibition - Chat/Upda

I think Lord not being in the lineup really effected our pattern and effectiveness. That forecheck and intensity he brings was missing, Culligan and CJ both did well with Haddad and Myers but are too different a type of player to Lord, which meant the whole dynamic of that line changed - which was the most effective last night.

The signs of a good team are there, we won't play against teams with that sort of speed or skill in the EIHL every week so key players like Hotham and Martin who maybe have been a little quiet will have a bit more time on the puck.

Still think we need a tough guy though, we went flat a number of times and needed that presence to stir it up.

Also nice to see Jason Harrold back announcing for us, for those who weren't fans during the ISL he was our announcer for a number of years then. A nice throwback to a good era, who's a good guy too.

Morales probably quite low after these game, but we'll just have to see how the team plays against teams in our league to get a good picture. Going by what we've seen, there's still work to do.

If we are indeed "closed for business" as indicated in another thread - what are people's thoughts on Lord benching himself for these exhibition games? Realise the result is not important, and it's good for him to get a view from the bench - however I am concerned it keeps upsetting the chemistry of the lines and is leading to chopping and changing. If Lord will be playing all season, perhaps it's better for him to just play out these games - work on his match fitness, gel with linemates (and allow others to do the same).

One other thing that has confused me this off season - the point of recruiting individuals rather than finding people who fit a role or serve a specific purpose in the team.

E.g we miss out on Rosehill (if you believe that) and then sign Ulmer. Ulmer looks a great addition, but, very different types of player - if Lord felt he needed that physical forward, why then change the plan based on who is available? Similar one on Hervato and Brine. Again, Brine is clearly an upgrade but is in a different mould.

Just makes me wonder if there is an overall plan for mix of roles within the team or just recruiting based on best players available and then fitting them in.

Wannabe2

Why would Morals be low, we just played 4 games against much higher leagues than us, the KHL is on another planet, and Bansk play in a far higher league than us and are a top 2/3 team in that league. We beat them Saturday, and could have repeated that Sunday, our chances to score were a multitude. These games can only stand us in good stead, and I believe that's what they were meant to do. The scores really were irrelevant this was a excercise in getting our guys to gel, and I think we did just fine. One power forward now and we will be on our way.

jimmy snels

Pickett said:
If we are indeed "closed for business" as indicated in another thread - what are people's thoughts on Lord benching himself for these exhibition games? Realise the result is not important, and it's good for him to get a view from the bench - however I am concerned it keeps upsetting the chemistry of the lines and is leading to chopping and changing. If Lord will be playing all season, perhaps it's better for him to just play out these games - work on his match fitness, gel with linemates (and allow others to do the same).

One other thing that has confused me this off season - the point of recruiting individuals rather than finding people who fit a role or serve a specific purpose in the team.

E.g we miss out on Rosehill (if you believe that) and then sign Ulmer. Ulmer looks a great addition, but, very different types of player - if Lord felt he needed that physical forward, why then change the plan based on who is available? Similar one on Hervato and Brine. Again, Brine is clearly an upgrade but is in a different mould.

Just makes me wonder if there is an overall plan for mix of roles within the team or just recruiting based on best players available and then fitting them in.
Exactly how i feel. The make up looks a bit off and there must have been room for a big forward in a group of forwards that large?

Enjoyed last nights game, the rams first goal was class and equally so was batchy's worth going for alone. Crowd size was small- i reckon under 1000. Guess people picked and choosed which night to go?
Intro was miles better than last years offering.
Thought bowns would want a couple of the goals back, not his usual high standard.
Thought louis looked solid on D.
Myres pick of forwards for me

ASHIPP

On the contrary, morale and team-bonding will be just fine. What better way to test yourselves than to play against and learn from teams in leagues ranked 2nd and 6th in the world?
By all accounts the Guys are buying into systems, learned a lot from two weeks and are gelling as a group. Can already see fitness levels are above beginning of last season and there are already signs of chemistry in line pairings. These games help with all sorts of things........the score is irrelevant.

Once they get the bench coach and additional tough forward situations clarified, it looks like all systems go.

:D

Wannabe2 said:
Why would Morals be low, we just played 4 games against much higher leagues than us, the KHL is on another planet, and Bansk play in a far higher league than us and are a top 2/3 team in that league. We beat them Saturday, and could have repeated that Sunday, our chances to score were a multitude. These games can only stand us in good stead, and I believe that's what they were meant to do. The scores really were irrelevant this was a excercise in getting our guys to gel, and I think we did just fine. One power forward now and we will be on our way.
As seen previously, pre-seasons mean nothing, but they do tell you at what kind of shape the team have. I don't think we looked particular good regardless of the score and we seemed to have signed individuals not a team. Hopefully, we'll look better with more time.

Last night was my first pre season game and I must say that I was impressed with the team. I thought the speed, passing and movement was excellent for most of the night, and some teams will struggle to stay with us this year,especially on our big ice.I'm not convinced we need a big tough power forward like some are,think we should just get on with it for now and if it's not working out rethink it then.This is a good team and I'd be surprised if it doesn't win some silverware.

terry hunt

There is always the possibility that we will follow the Belfast example they did with walser.

Devil_Abroad

WD59 said:
Wannabe2 said:
As seen previously, pre-seasons mean nothing, but they do tell you at what kind of shape the team have. I don't think we looked particular good regardless of the score and we seemed to have signed individuals not a team. Hopefully, we'll look better with more time.
Seems we all differ. I saw the Saturday game on Icetime and couldn't;t believe how well we played. All the lines seem to have gelled very quickly as it felt they'd played together for months.

Fournier was unlucky that the ice was still wet around the goal line as it was clear the puck just stopped whilst he was skating out - though I guess you could ask the players to check the ice as they skate out before each period.

I'm very happy to see the chemistry and speed so far on display and bodes well for our next visit on Saturday.

I'd like to see a bench coach this season but that probably won't happen if 'business' is done and all has been revealed. Time will only tell.

After watching Lord on Saturday on that checking line I still prefer him to be a player this season - he still has it at this level for that type of line.

Am I worried we don't have a big forward up front? I think we have a team that's tough and will jump in only if necessary which is the way the rest of hockey is going outside EIHL; but Giants/Clan have gone down the tough route this season so I am a little worried for Batch as I don't want him ending up in fights all the time - Louis looks as though it's his role anyway.

If we have signed a coach and a tough forward and just waiting for work permits before announcing then great; if not, and business is actually done, then we still have an exciting team built on speed, team toughness, and skill that should again be in the mix for all the honours this season.

Just compare our results for the last 4 games with Steelers/Giants - we're good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been to all the preseason games so far and pretty pleased on the whole with what i've see.

Personally, I was pleased to see Lord on the bench. I think he was one of the weaker players on the ice (Says a lot about our team this season). While i agree he's still good enough to play, i don't think he can play & coach effectively.

As others have noted many times, we still lack physicality up front and somebody to spark the team. I genuinely believe this is part of the reason for the poor crowds. I know a lot of people who found our style of play boring last season (me included) and the make up of our team does little to inspire me with confidence that this season will be much different. I hope i'm wrong. I know a few people who haven't bothered with all the preseason games for primarily this reason.

I think we're going to have a competitive team this season but the whole league is going to be strong. Clan look a very well put together as do Steelers - Their performance against the SHL side a few days ago shows they are very strong.

Surprised at the amount of ice time CJ & Piggot have been given although i guess being preseason its a good time to let them play and improve. Not sure i understand the tactics of putting the CJ line out straight after the opposition score though. You would think we'd want to put Myers line out or someone who can spark the team again. Im also a bit confused as to Brine playing with CJ & Piggsy. Not to offend the Brits but Brine looks like he could be a lot more effect on a stronger line.

A little concerning to see Richie didn't finish the game last night. He missed most of the final period. Hopefully just precautionary.

On the whole i'm happy with what i've seen - I have no doubt we have a very skilful & competitive team. Just wish Lord would listen to what the fans want and play a more entertaining brand of hockey as he did in his first season as coach. If he doesn't, i think we may see crowds struggle throughout the season.

Ocko

Brine is on that line because he is a shut down, two way player. He isn't a top 6 player, whatever level he plays at. He plays a role, doesn't mean he is less valuable because he is on a line win CJ and Culligan. He couldn't do, for example, Doucets job as a top 6, but Doucet couldn't do his on a lower line either. I'm not sure wherelse he would go either; Bentivoglio is never going on the fourth, neither is Martin, that leaves only Myers I guess but he already formed a very effective line with Lord and Haddad.

By the looks of it CJ will get a regular shift on the fourth line this year, at the moment it's Brine, Culligan and CJ, it only had Piggsy on it because Lord didn't play.

ASHIPP

IThe team already have their NHL style role-playing lines:

2 speedy finesse firepower lines

1 big bodied, relentless physical line

1 effective energy diissruptive shut dowwn line.

All with scoring skill

There have been a number of comments on various threads reference the quality of our oppositions during the pre season games. Stating that the KHL is ranked the second best league in the world and that the league Banska play in was ranked number six. Has anyone got any ideas where the EIHL rank?

Wannabe2

We wouldn't get a mention in the top 10, because we are no where near that, we are ranked 19th in some polls.

That article is from 2012, I haven't been a fan for long but I know the quality of the league has improved massively since then.

Rempel16

Yes it's from 2012, but even four years later I can't see any change to that list.

I agree, the league has improved, but we are still nowhere near. The 2016 seedings for the Champions Hockey League place just three teams below the Steelers and that's just amongst European teams:

https://www.championshockeyleague.net/n ... draw/1690/

Granted, some of those will have comes from the same leagues, but it shows just how far adrift we still are. We are on the rise and the player quality to most teams in the league has shown that, but a long way to go.