Devils sign Tyson Marsh 2012/13

Looks a good signing.... but looking at the standard of D.man the Blaze and Panthers also brought in today, I think these are the kinds of players teams in the Southern League should be signing if they want to compete..

From all the teams early signings I'm thinking this will be a good season in the EIHL..

TheStub

Thread starter #6
Looking at the write up, I see him as a replacement for Jaime rather than Frank.

Strong offensive D man isn't the stay at home guy Frank was.

If we sign Jaime now, I'd be a little concerned that we would always have 5 guys too high... unless G has totally rethought his strategy this year, and we are playing a total possession forecheck games.

Koop11

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=62617

Another solid signing. This gives us the balance of toughness on our already impressive defensive line up. It’s reassuring to know we have someone at the back who will fight if called upon but can certainly chip in with the points as well. The fact he has played PP, been a captain and played at AHL level is very positive. I look forward to seeing this Tyson (that seems strange) on our blue line.

Looks like our team will have great chemistry next season with so many signed up from last year and the new additions all knowing each other.

Finny

oneill said:
Looks a good signing.... but looking at the standard of D.man the Blaze and Panthers also brought in today, I think these are the kinds of players teams in the Southern League should be signing if they want to compete..
But then they do have bigger budgets than us, including Coventry who despite going into administration just seem to be carrying on regardless.

I'm very happy with this signing, though he is a bit short! :lol:

Lots of AHL call-ups and got decent points during that time for a defenceman. Top scoring Dman in the Italian league and good stats in the ECHL too.

The most encouraging news though is that he has been recommended by Blight and Faulkner. Based on what they have been putting on twitter, Blight especially seems very excited about coming over here and I don't think they would be wanting anything other than top players to join them.

Welcome to Wales Tyson!

Finny

TheStub said:
Looking at the write up, I see him as a replacement for Jaime rather than Frank.
Agreed. In fact he is probably a replacement for Richardson/Veeks unless I'm mis-counting our D?

Finny

1. Phil Osaer
2. Mark Smith
3. Kenton Smith
4. Gerad Adams
5. Tyson Marsh
6. Chris Blight
7. Max Birbraer
8. Mac Faulkner

So three left to sign. Ideally
-A Defensive Dman
-A powerforward for the right wing
-Stu

Finny said:
1. Phil Osaer
2. Mark Smith
3. Kenton Smith
4. Gerad Adams
5. Tyson Marsh
6. Chris Blight
7. Max Birbraer
8. Mac Faulkner

So three left to sign. Ideally
-A Defensive Dman
-A powerforward for the right wing
-Stu
Yer that would be nice would mean the lines if chemistry were not an issue and we based things purely on stats for the forwards would probably look like this.

1ST

LW = BIRBREAR C = FAULKNER RW = BLIGHT

2ND

LW = HILL C = MCRAE RW = ?????

3RD

LW = ADAMS? C = DAVIES RW = MCKENZIE

With Piggot and Harding getting the occasional shifts.

Last years and bear in mind if we went off stats and form and chemistry didn't play a part

1ST

LW = BIRBREAR C = MATZKA RW = PIERCE

2ND

LW = DOBBEN C = MCREA RW = VOTH

3RD

LW = HILL C = DAVIES

Piggot and Harding And S.Smith who was a lefty and looking at this I realise, I was sad when he went but he was redundant anyway in last years squad and if G plays forward this year again he'd be redundant.

Don't shout at me if iv'e got anything wrong!

Finny

phildavies21 said:
Actually thinking on if I were G and had money, id play D. And sign a RW for 2nd line and a LW and C for 3rd. Sorry Ben!
Is Ben playing 2nd line centre or are we signing 12 imports?

And though only a slight error, G tends to play RW as a forward and I think McKenzie is LW.

osh

I think we have a good nucleus of players so far with this latest signing. If we go with 11 imports, we have 3 spare slots to fill. Ideally it's fair to say we would all welcome back Stu ( albeit as 2nd line centre imo ). I actually think Blight may be just the niggly type of player that Finny quite rightly suggests we need. I still think it is essential to get a decent big defensive D man who can take care of himself when needed, look after his team mates and offer good protection for Osaer. I think we may not see further signings for a while as G will be looking to see who is not picked up before the North American season gets under way, we may end up with a better player ( or two ) than expected who decides to give Europe a go, who knows!

Finny said:
phildavies21 said:
Actually thinking on if I were G and had money, id play D. And sign a RW for 2nd line and a LW and C for 3rd. Sorry Ben!
Is Ben playing 2nd line centre or are we signing 12 imports?

And though only a slight error, G tends to play RW as a forward and I think McKenzie is LW.
Na what im saying is go with 5 for D. And Batch being British means thats 4 imports used. One of those 4 imports I think should be G. That would mean D is all signed up.

Then id play Birbrear, Faulkner and Blight on the 1st forwards line. Up to 7 imports.
2nd line Hill, Mcrae or replacement and a new import on the RW. Up to 9 imports.
3rd line Mckenzie LW if thats where he plays and sign an import C and RW. Thats 11.

Davies, Piggot and Harding getting occasional shifts then.

Id like another D but if you compare our firepower in the forwards compared to Sheffield at the moment I just think were going to need all last 3 import slots to be used up as forwards. Of course its all opinion but its interesting never the less.