Devils @ Panthers - 30th Jan - 7:00pm - Chat/Updates

Did Cully play D all game?
What were the forward lines tonight?
It would be really interesting to hear from anyone who was there last night.

ASHIPP

Petercw said:
Did Cully play D all game?
What were the forward lines tonight?
It would be really interesting to hear from anyone who was there last night.
Chris's versatility makes him even more valuable to the team. He looks as comfortable on defence as he does on a forward line. And completely dependable.

Ocko

Culligan was on D the entire game, although did on occasion, when on PK play forward. That was only the odd shift though. He was excellent too - composed on the puck, had time and space and didn't waste a pass. He didn't ever seem caught out defensively either.

Forward lines were:

Salters - Martin - Doucet
Kurka - Russell - Haddad
Lord - Hervato - Morisette

Bowns was superb, as he always is this year. Well ahead as best goalie in the league.

The game plan defensively wasn't too different to that awful Sheffield game, collapsing on the net and blocking shots. The difference in our zone was the speed to the corners, we were there quicker so we're able to do something with the puck other than just ice it.

In their zone and the biggest difference to our game was our forecheck was good. We went back to a two man forecheck and battled for everything, Panthers breakout was disjointed as a result and they were often left to a dump and chase game or got turned over. The D also kept them to the outside and I can't remember many clear chances that I thought they should've scored on.

For them it was good too see Janssen earn his undoubtedly high wage; as well as doing laps of the ice chasing the puck he also kindly tested the structural integrity of the boards for the arena by checking a different one every shift, away from the play too and nowhere near any players to not risk their Injury or get in the way of the game. What a good guy.

Thanks for the feedback Ocko,
Interesting to see Ryan Russel at centre, how did that go?
Did we miss not having Hendo clearing in front of the net?

Petercw said:
Russell played very well, I like Hendo as a player but I felt it we did not miss him last night, right choice leaving him out for this game.

Ocko

Petercw said:
I rate Hendo but he was missed last night. Away against Sheffield and Nottingham our speed to the corners isn't great, putting Culligan back there improved that. Nottingham didn't have any net presence. Their only line that set up to screen Bowns was their fourth line of Lawrence, Janssen and Farmer who didn't see a great deal of ice time and when they did were chasing Martin's shadow.

Russell did ok, nothing flashy but you couldn't pick any faults in his game.

fdlf666

Mooney#16 said:
Even if Braehead do come through to win it Devils still need to keep playing as winning the conference would assure second place and the other CHL spot. As much as the CHL is a step just to far for the EIHL it is the closest thing to mainstream acceptance with European hockey and I dare say for a team like Cardiff would be a brilliant marketing tool for sponsors over next summer and a useful recruitment tool.

I'd honestly say behind a potential league win the conference is the next most important trophy to Devils this year over and above the Challenge Cup or Play offs. Crap for fans as conference is nothing to really get excited about but commercially the bigger trophy.

Only the top 2 teams in the EIHL will participate in the CHL, with either the team who wins the post-season playoffs, or the team finishing third if the playoffs winner is one of the top two, entering the Continental Cup.

Winning the conference only affects the seedings for the Play-offs.
i.e.
If the league champions are conference winners, then the winners of the other conference become 2nd seeds for the Play-offs, irrespective of league position.

Mooney#16

True enough your right and I had it arse about face. Thanks. Even more reason to keep playing hard to the wire as those CHL spots won't get settled until last weekend.

Devil_Abroad

Mooney#16 said:
Even if Braehead do come through to win it Devils still need to keep playing as winning the conference would assure second place and the other CHL spot. As much as the CHL is a step just to far for the EIHL it is the closest thing to mainstream acceptance with European hockey and I dare say for a team like Cardiff would be a brilliant marketing tool for sponsors over next summer and a useful recruitment tool.

I'd honestly say behind a potential league win the conference is the next most important trophy to Devils this year over and above the Challenge Cup or Play offs. Crap for fans as conference is nothing to really get excited about but commercially the bigger trophy.
I like the point you make as it makes huge sense Commercially for the investors (owners) and in attracting top talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk