Dear Mr Pope

TheStub

Ivydrive said:
devils2001uk said:
TheStub said:
Ivydrive said:
I agree with OP.
Regardless of what the game is for, as professional sportsmen i don't see why it would be acceptable to give anything but 100%, especially when you've got hundreds of paying fans who have travelled miles to watch you play and offer their support. Pretty disgraceful.
Why would a player risk injury that would jeopardise their signing for next season. As someone put on Twitter, what coach would look at a CV and go "wow you git third place in the UK playoffs". The prize was lost, they'd probably happily forgo a days pay.
Though it would look better than saying doesn't gives all in games ESP v our biggest rivals

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Scouts in the crowd? To showcase their abilities to a large audience? Simply for the love of the game and the will to win regardless? Not to mention for their many travelling fans.

I can understand why they would perhaps pull out of a huge mid ice hit and play 95% instead of 100% but i would expect them to show some passion for the badge on their shirt and look at least mildly interested in winning.
It just makes them look bad which is embarrassing.
Why? No scout would care about that game. They would all believe what the majority of the fans did.

I feel some might have overlooked something here. The Devils where battered and bruised with several already playing through injury. While some playing where still learning there trade and really in all honesty should/would not have been in the semi if we had any other choice. Making the play off's this year with what we had is an amazing achievement and a credit to G, Franny and all the boys that stepped onto the ice. Are we really going to call them for taking there foot off the Gas for a game to rank them 2nd or 3rd placed loser?

For me it is wrong to expect a team to give it all just for ranking, I for one would not want to see any player, Devil or not risk there health and careerer or that of others to say they finished 3rd and not 4th out of 4 games played against 3 opponents.

Credit should also be given to the blaze for playing the same game playing, with a back up net minder and 0 physicality. For my mind the Balze where laughing with the Devils and not at them.

TheStub

toy_car_uk said:
Credit should also be given to the blaze for playing the same game playing, with a back up net minder and 0 physicality. For my mind the Balze where laughing with the Devils and not at them.
Exactly.

KaneDevils

As a paying fan at the PO's if you feel the team hasn't given their all and have left you feeling short changed then your going to feel slightly aggrieved. How many of you that have said oh it doesn't matter, I'm glad they were hungover, were actually at the game? Would your view be different if you were there? Maybe.

Yes the 3rd/4th place game means little to nothing really, but it's a game of hockey, in which Blight scored 4 goals so he was clearly taking it seriously. The meaning of this game would be like 'kissing your sister'? Strange comparison. Perhaps Paul went out with the lads too? What on earth were they drinking? Bleach, castrol GTX?

One thing that does baffle me, why is this 'mock' letter of complaint addressed to Brent Pope? ;:|

Thread starter #25
One thing that does baffle me, why is this 'mock' letter of complaint addressed to Brent Pope? ;:|

This was in response to the statement issued by the Devils trying to justify their actions, or rather lack of!

I also feel very sorry for the likes of Ben Davies who always puts 100% and due to the lack of interest from his team mates didn't even get Bronze, and as already mentioned the Blaze played the same game!

Sliput

Budgie said:
I can't believe that the dedicated fans who (on a positive note) had a great weekend watching three very good games of hockey, should have to read a total load of rubbish!

Players managers and other staff come and go, but we the fans are here every week, month and year, and deserve the truth and an apology for the team not only turning up with massive hangovers, but not even trying to win the game. This would have been the icing on the cake, as nobody expected to win the final, but the Devils should have at least given it everything they had, go out in style and at least win bronze. Their performance was inexcusable and unforgivable considering the amount of passion and support that has been given by the fans!

I'm sorry Mr Pope, sometimes saying less means more

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
If you do send that to Brent can you please change it to 'some' Devils fans as i am a Devils fan and do not agree with what you are saying.

The league got what it deserved.

I know opinions are different and i respect what you are saying but not everyone feels the same.

Kipper

TheStub said:
Ivydrive said:
I agree with OP.
Regardless of what the game is for, as professional sportsmen i don't see why it would be acceptable to give anything but 100%, especially when you've got hundreds of paying fans who have travelled miles to watch you play and offer their support. Pretty disgraceful.
Why would a player risk injury that would jeopardise their signing for next season. As someone put on Twitter, what coach would look at a CV and go "wow you git third place in the UK playoffs". The prize was lost, they'd probably happily forgo a days pay.
What he said. Anyone who expected players to give 100% in a meaningless game when the main prize was gone has no perception of sporting psychology. The pay was neither here nor there. Their season was done.The blame is entirely on the EIHL for resurrecting this farce

Wannabe2

The anger should be aimed at the league not the players, they tried this trash before and then binned it, now they resurrected it to rip of the fans. It was a joke before, and its a joke now. The players know it, most fans know it, but the greedy parasites at the league just want the money. Charge £60 and give the fans 3 games, whats the problem, except greed.

For me there are two issues here.

1. Whether there should have been a 3rd / 4th placed game. I think everyone is agreed now that there shouldn't have been.

2. The Devils' efforts in this game. Regardless of point 1, there WAS a 3rd / 4th placed game this year. We all paid a lot of money to be in Nottingham (not just ticket prices but hotels, travel and food) and deserved a better performance. If I turned up to my place of work drunk I would be sacked. The majority of Devils players did the same, played with zero pride and simply didn't care. BUT they were on the same rate of pay for the 3rd / 4th placed game as they were for the Saturday game. For me this was an absolute disgrace, espeically against Coventry and they made us a laughing stock. I completely agree with the original post and will think long and hard about going to the Playoffs next year.

Sliput

shoes_off said:

1. Whether there should have been a 3rd / 4th placed game. I think everyone is agreed now that there shouldn't have been.

2. The Devils' efforts in this game. Regardless of point 1, there WAS a 3rd / 4th placed game this year. We all paid a lot of money to be in Nottingham (not just ticket prices but hotels, travel and food) and deserved a better performance. If I turned up to my place of work drunk I would be sacked. The majority of Devils players did the same, played with zero pride and simply didn't care. BUT they were on the same rate of pay for the 3rd / 4th placed game as they were for the Saturday game. For me this was an absolute disgrace, espeically against Coventry and they made us a laughing stock. I completely agree with the original post and will think long and hard about going to the Playoffs next year.
Were they on the same rate of pay ?? were they being paid at all ?? Do you know for certain they were ??

If we were not trying against a team who were trying to win something for their out going boss how did we put 5 goals past them ?

So you are seriously telling me that because of the way the Devils played , you may not go next year ?

I am sorry if i sound flippant but for me personally i dont see a problem with what happened in the game. I also paid for hotels and tickets....i also travel a 5 hr round trip to go to a home game !

Gaz G

shoes_off said:

Don't think it's fair in this circumstance to compare you're work with this game. The game 3rd/4th game is a waste of time and no player cares about it. If your boss told you you had to work an extra day for no reason what so ever and that you wouldn't be achieving anything by being there, I doubt you would turn up with the same professionalism as any other normal day with targets and objectives to hit.

For me, the Devils weren't playing for the Devils on Sunday, they were playing for the League. With that in mind they quite rightly didn't give two hoots.

To suggest that you won't be attending the playoffs next year as a result of this game is almost as laughable as the 3rd/4th play off game in itself.

Finny

Aren't the Devils paid by week rather than by game?
I doubt the addition of the stupid game meant the players got paid any more, it just allowed the EIHL to give a reason for high ticket prices.

Wannabe2

Last time they had these stupid games, netminders were playing on the wing, top scorers in goal, it was a joke then and nothings changed. It's just a money making excercise.

drainage

Finny said:
Aren't the Devils paid by week rather than by game?
I doubt the addition of the stupid game meant the players got paid any more, it just allowed the EIHL to give a reason for high ticket prices.
Most people I spoke to all said just an effort to justify the cost of ticket ....poor idea , poor game

But either way I think fans should have the right to comment for the money they parted with (not saying you are saying they aren't Finny! BTW) £225 just to get there but the cost vs value or money needs considering in today's climate

But I had a great weekend so all in all nothing too ruined!

The last time this game was played, the idiots in charge of the league had the balls to admit the mistake and scrap the game for the next years, hopefully the clowns who thought it would be a good idea to bring it back will have the balls to admit this mistake and scrap it for eternity. S T U P I D I D E A