Dave Whistle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earnie

Thread starter #1
I have started this topic since no one else has. A hugely important move by Ragan and people are still infighting. Read the Dave Simms article in Powerplay.

We must move heaven and earth to keep him and the pathetic manoeuvres by some is not the way. Those who oppose Pope should be delighted .

I would go as far as saying that if Ragan keeps Whistle for next season and more it is a master stroke and the slate should be wiped clean.

Now let's have mature debate on this.

I know decisions taken this season have wound certain people up more than others. Technically those decisions are none of our business - but the manner in which they were done left a lot to be desired.

Let's get behind the 'new' management team and give Dave Whistle a big boost

Ocko

Signing Whistle is a superb move, he is a quality coach. Although he never won anything (rather unluckily) last time I rate him as one of the best ever on the bench for us. Is there was a man needed to bring some harmony and success to the team it's him.

... And Brent Pope has gone!!!! :Banana :pickle :Banana :pickle :Banana :pickle :Banana :pickle :Banana :pickle :Banana :pickle

Koop11

I have mixed emotions about Whis based on his time at the club previous. His only full season with us saw him bring in some quality players (Matsos, Cullen, Graighead, Davidson) and I think we finished 3rd in the league and made both CC final and Playoff final. However, that was arguably one of the softest Devils teams we ever had and included the re-signings of one of the poorest goal tenders we ever had. The following year, he goes to Sheffield with BP and takes with him a few of our Brits.

He is however a proven coach and at a higher level having won Superleague championships at two different clubs. He is known for being respected by players which some suggest is not the case with our current coaching set up (hearsay I might add).

I hope Whis’ tenure at the club this time around is not simply a smoke screen to make a statement, only for him to be removed with a nice pay off in 4 weeks. Whilst many call for a new coach to shake things up, there is an argument that staying for such a short period of time could be more unsettling for the team.

If you’re going to bring Whis in, it should be until at least the end of the season. That could be as head coach or working jointly with Brent. Whichever. I don’t care what approach as long as it has a positive outcome. If proved successful, let’s get some continuity and offer the guy a two year contract that will take us into the new arena.

Sheincar

Speaking for myself, if Whistle was announced as signing as coach for next season then I would be much more likelyto get ST for next season.

Rempel16

Koop, I agree with you on that 'soft' Devils team tag.
We were owned and noticeably intimidated on a few occasions that season, mostly by Payette and Cornish.

However, i'm going to try and turn this into a positive for 4 reasons:

1. Whistle had a guy who could go some way to protecting the team, in Jason Ruff, who pulled out last minute. I think Ruff would have become a franchise player for us - he was tough as nails, rarely needed to fight, but he was a top line player too.

2. Whistle learned from his lack of replacement for Ruff, bringing in John Craighead for the second half of the season.

3. I'd like to think that he remembers those days well, and would not repeat that mistake by letting a team enter a season without having that element of toughness within it.

4. Following that 'soft' season it was widely recognised that a big failing in the recruitment process was that we had failed to find a replacement for Mike Ware. We found a replacement that next summer in a Mr Brad Voth.... If a season of Whistle means we follow it with a 'new' Brad Voth i'll certainly have no complaints!!

If we can keep Whistle for the rest of this season and next, then i will be pretty happy.

Kipper

Whis is a massive upgrade and if he could be kept on for next season there is a chance of keeping some of our better players from this year and building on that. I believe this really is an opportunity for PR to turn the business around positively.

The proviso is of course that Whis is allowed to do his job with accountability, but without interference, from above

IF I won the lottery and was able to buy the club the first person I would phone to be my Head Coach would be Dave Whistle - huge respect for him, if given the chance I'm sure he can bring really good times back to the club.

James

Administrator
Kipper said:
Whis is a massive upgrade and if he could be kept on for next season there is a chance of keeping some of our better players from this year and building on that. I believe this really is an opportunity for PR to turn the business around positively.

The proviso is of course that Whis is allowed to do his job with accountability, but without interference, from above
From what I've heard he's not a guy to put up with interferance.

ASHIPP

Securing Dave Whistle as Head Coach would go a long way to reasuring fans that the Team is in the hands of someone proven and experienced. You only have to look at comments from fans around the League to see how much Dave is respected. His cv/experience speaks for itself.

A massive dose of common sense from PR in keeping hold of Dave next year will probably mean he keeps hold of a lot of ST holders too. It would be one of the smartest moves to make ready to go into our new home.

+2 here if that is the case.

after saying i will not be buying 4 season tickets with brent pope next year if he is head coach,with whistle in charge,it will be plus 4 for me.Hope PR does the right thing for the club on this one...

nicky27

Sheincar said:
Speaking for myself, if Whistle was announced as signing as coach for next season then I would be much more likelyto get ST for next season.
Now I'm not normally demanding by any means but if we keep Whis and sign Lord, Kurka and Marsh, I will renew our season tickets tomorrow!!!

Kipper

James said:
Kipper said:

From what I've heard he's not a guy to put up with interferance.
That is how I remember him James. I guess how long he hangs around will tell its own story in due course

I thought PR said in one of the interviews that bp would still be involved in the coaching as well as who they were bringing in.

With this news I might even make a visit to the bbt next season, I mean the news of whistle not bp being involved

A question to the people who were against G being axed. How would you have felt if he was axed to make way for Whis ? And by that I mean removed properly.

NOISYGIRL2 said:
I thought PR said in one of the interviews that bp would still be involved in the coaching as well as who they were bringing in.

With this news I might even make a visit to the bbt next season, I mean the news of whistle not bp being involved
Oh come on Claire you know better than that. What Ragan says and does are two totally different things

Status
Not open for further replies.