Current ice pad.

Thread starter #1
Well, from being at the match last night. I thought the ice pad was shocking. With there being a few delays for ice to be fixed.

I was just wondering, why has the ice not been re-done for the upcoming season?

South Wales Echo are new sponser for the devils, yet there are Freshbaked signs still on the ice.

Surely they would have had time in the off-season to re-do the ice?

What are people's thoughts on this?

Ger-Devils

Planet Ice won't shut - Simple as. Too much money to lose with the summer etc so won't be done for a few weeks probably.

My view that's all

wildthing74

I heard they are not doing it until mid September and they are doing the painting then too.Madness,surely should be done for the start of the season.
I know its the same for both teams but makes us look a shoddy organisation.God knows what the new imports made of it?

wildthing74 said:
I heard they are not doing it until mid September and they are doing the painting then too.Madness,surely should be done for the start of the season.
I know its the same for both teams but makes us look a shoddy organisation.God knows what the new imports made of it?
ive heard this too, heard that its gona be after the second or third game of the season, wtf like? im really not looking forward to PI running this rink. on a positive thought though i hope they can come to some decent arrangement with the Devils and all will work out. im jsut trying to look positive on this situation

vector said:
Just out of interest who would pay for the lost revenue whilst the ice is being re-done in the summer?
Nobody should have to. Maintainance and ice renewal is a cost that should be borne by Planet Ice as rink operators; the cost then gets incorporated into the pricing for the ice time and facilities.

James

Administrator
vector said:
Just out of interest who would pay for the lost revenue whilst the ice is being re-done in the summer?
Clearly Planet Ice make a massive loss running the rink and only do it out of love. What's that? The rink generates millions a year? Planet Ice just want to make as much money as possible with the least expenditure of effort.

osh

From a purely business perspective, PI will do the work when trade is at its lowest i.e after the school holidays. They are hardly going to close the rink down when its at its busiest with skaters etc are they. they reall couldn't do it properly until our main sponsor was announced and that happened only a few says ago. lets have a little bit of understanding about things from an unbiased stance eh ? That said, the ice shouldn't be as poor as reported and PI need to get their act together.

osh said:
From a purely business perspective, PI will do the work when trade is at its lowest i.e after the school holidays. They are hardly going to close the rink down when its at its busiest with skaters etc are they. they reall couldn't do it properly until our main sponsor was announced and that happened only a few says ago. lets have a little bit of understanding about things from an unbiased stance eh ? That said, the ice shouldn't be as poor as reported and PI need to get their act together.
At last somebody using some common sense! As anti PI as some are occasionally its best to sit back and understand a situationa and also get all the facts right! Why would PI take all of the ice out and re-paint new sponsers when the sponsers have nothing to do with PI? There was a similar situation in coventry whereby the blaze's title sponser wasn't announced until the last minute leaving no time to do it before the season.

wildthing74

Fair enough regarding the sponsors but the ice should never be in bad condition.Dangerous for players and skaters alike.My kids are there today and I was even worried about allowing them to use in its current condition.

vector said:
osh said:
At last somebody using some common sense! As anti PI as some are occasionally its best to sit back and understand a situationa and also get all the facts right! Why would PI take all of the ice out and re-paint new sponsers when the sponsers have nothing to do with PI? There was a similar situation in coventry whereby the blaze's title sponser wasn't announced until the last minute leaving no time to do it before the season.

Kind of highlights the need for a two pad facility, this type of thing wouldn t arise then as one pad wouldn t have had the wear and tear over the busy period. Get real Planet Ice are crap at maintenance if it involves investment

So what you are saying is that if Blaze had announced their title sponsor earlier PI would have lost revenue for the busier school holidays. I think not

osh

Jodysstillagirlsname; Please read my post and don't tell me what I am saying. I haven't mentioned Coventry or their sponsors. As for the Devils, I repeat, from a commercial point of view, it makes financial sense to close the rink for signage/new ice etc when its running at its least profitable period i.e after the school holidays! And, as far as the Devils are concerned, it wouldn't have made sense to do any such work until our main sponsor is confirmed. As for the Balze, I'm not bothered what they do there tbh.

I agree with you that it certainly highlights the need for a 2 pad facility, but at the moment, we don't have a 2 pad facility. By all accounts, the ice plant broke down and wasn't functioning correctly yesterday, therefore we were lucky to have a game at all. It seems like others, you just jump on the bandwagon and criticise without waiting to learn all the facts. Would you have prefered the game to have been cancelled last night ? I have been very critical of PI in the past, but think a breakdown of plant is one of those unfortunate circumstances.

Wannabe2

osh said:
Jodysstillagirlsname; Please read my post and don't tell me what I am saying. I haven't mentioned Coventry or their sponsors. As for the Devils, I repeat, from a commercial point of view, it makes financial sense to close the rink for signage/new ice etc when its running at its least profitable period i.e after the school holidays! And, as far as the Devils are concerned, it wouldn't have made sense to do any such work until our main sponsor is confirmed. As for the Balze, I'm not bothered what they do there tbh.

I agree with you that it certainly highlights the need for a 2 pad facility, but at the moment, we don't have a 2 pad facility. By all accounts, the ice plant broke down and wasn't functioning correctly yesterday, therefore we were lucky to have a game at all. It seems like others, you just jump on the bandwagon and criticise without waiting to learn all the facts. Would you have prefered the game to have been cancelled last night ? I have been very critical of PI in the past, but think a breakdown of plant is one of those unfortunate circumstances.
Unless no money has been spent on the maintenance of it of course.

osh

Wannabe2; yes of course, but we don't know do we, so unfortunately we have to accept it. I just don't see the point of criticising them for this one, but by all accounts they are not doing a good job within the building, so they need reminding certainly of what standards need to be kept and hopefully CCC will do just that ( we live in hope!) I have no doubt Gerad will have voiced his concerns yesterday.

Do you know what you are probably right, they probably don't bother maintaining the plant or getting it serviced. What would be the point in trying to keep the foundations of your business maintained I mean why would you want to close and make no money?

I think sometimes you have to look at things without the rose tinted glasses.

osh said:

OSH the Coventry reference was to the other quoted post from Vector and for your information I don t jump on any bandwagon, I was one of the original members of SORAC and Vice Chairman my feelings re PI are well known. Coventry is the PI flagship, its where they take Council officials etc and that is why it benefits from the better maintenance in the group. When they build a newer one at Cardifff then that will benefit from the same maintenance, for a while anyway.

I hope they do make a good job of their rink in Cardiff and run it properly and for ALL of the users and if I am proved wrong will be pleased for the City and the users

Wannabe2

vector said:

Do you know what you are probably right, they probably don't bother maintaining the plant or getting it serviced. What would be the point in trying to keep the foundations of your business maintained I mean why would you want to close and make no money?

I think sometimes you have to look at things without the rose tinted glasses.
So very sorry if a hit a delicate nerve, Mr Vector.

osh said:
Would you have prefered the game to have been cancelled last night ?
If serious injury could have been caused to a player or official because of the ice condition then I yes would have preferred the game to be cancelled. Some of the gaps between the ice and the boards could have caused serious injury if a skate had got stuck in them. If I remember correctly the very reason the first game at the tent got called off

osh

jodysstillagirlsname said:
osh said:
Would you have prefered the game to have been cancelled last night ? quote]

If serious injury could have been caused to a player or official because of the ice condition then I yes would have preferred the game to be cancelled. Some of the gaps between the ice and the boards could have caused serious injury if a skate had got stuck in them. If I remember correctly the very reason the first game at the tent got called off

Jodysstillagirlsname; With the greatest of repect to you re your comments;

Delighted to be informed that you were the vice chairman and original member of SORAC, great work and well done for all the hard work you guys did. Now, that doesn't make one blind bit of difference to the original content of people being critical for the sake of it. Also, in your opinion, you would have prefered last nights game to be cancelled, therefore over riding the opinions of not only PI, Gerad and the referee who allowed the game to continue ( give me a minute to think about that one) Lets face it, if we want ice hockey we have to accept what is there for us. It sounds a bad night to be sure and lets hope for a dramatic improvement.