Coventry Blaze v Cardiff Devils - Sun 6pm - Chat/Updates

drainage

rolf said:
Well if it was Vother, expect him to get a 16 match ban, 2000 hours community service and an asbo tag from uncle bobs travelling band of kangaroo court jesters. Expect Calder to get 5 additional assists to help his season and a prescription.......
sorry have to correct you - as Vother is on a warning (from the season he played aged 6 and 3/4) his punishment will be a ban that lasts long enough for uncle bob to figure out how to win without banning him , to be served in a Shuff Chippy over feeding Simms. Calder will be given a clear path to top scorer for season and all the pork scratchings he can eat !!

Russky

firstly :lol:
rolf said:
Well if it was Vother, expect him to get a 16 match ban, 2000 hours community service and an asbo tag from uncle bobs travelling band of kangaroo court jesters. Expect Calder to get 5 additional assists to help his season and a prescription......

and then :lol:
drainage said:
sorry have to correct you - as Vother is on a warning (from the season he played aged 6 and 3/4) his punishment will be a ban that lasts long enough for uncle bob to figure out how to win without banning him , to be served in a Shuff Chippy over feeding Simms. Calder will be given a clear path to top scorer for season and all the pork scratchings he can eat !!

That is so funny! although I dont think Brad would see the funny side somehow!

Not quite sure why we always play so badly against the Devils as home now so we've come to expect it now but Devils were well worthy of the 2 points. I'm not a great one for looking at opposition players but as you have been saying for months, Phil Hill looks a completely different player to the one from 2 or 3 years ago.

Well done. Not a good night for Blaze fans but at least I won a few quid :lol:

Wannabe2

J.B said:
Not quite sure why we always play so badly against the Devils as home now so we've come to expect it now but Devils were well worthy of the 2 points. I'm not a great one for looking at opposition players but as you have been saying for months, Phil Hill looks a completely different player to the one from 2 or 3 years ago.

Well done. Not a good night for Blaze fans but at least I won a few quid :lol:
J B you also said you played bad against us on your own forum in the cup last week, what is it with you whenever you play us you play bad, its getting very boring now.

drainage

Russky said:
firstly :lol:
rolf said:
Well if it was Vother, expect him to get a 16 match ban, 2000 hours community service and an asbo tag from uncle bobs travelling band of kangaroo court jesters. Expect Calder to get 5 additional assists to help his season and a prescription......

and then :lol:
drainage said:

That is so funny! although I dont think Brad would see the funny side somehow!
Course he will .... he's been hit by the Shuff sorry typo league handing out totally random rulings often enough to know its always panto season !!!

Wannabe2 said:
J B you also said you played bad against us on your own forum in the cup last week, what is it with you whenever you play us you play bad, its getting very boring now.
As I said, I tend to focus more on my team than the opposition but I'd say the reason we play poorly against you is probably that we struggle against your quick players, especially our defenceman who aren't the fastest.

You were definately the better side tonight and it would have been a robbery if we took anything from the game.

kettdevil1

My take on things...

Absorbing game that could have swung either way. Devils found a way to win without ever really playing particularly well whilst the Blaze ran into a hot netminder and a complete collapse of their normally lethal Powerplay.

First two periods were very tight indeed. Devils looked slightly off the pace but hung on thanks to total commitment (even if they drove us to despair with their failure to screen Hirsch and the rather ropey passing) Davies (on his second shift of the game) showed everyone how to do it by driving to the net and scoring.

Third period was much more entertaining, as mentioned the game could have gone either way once the Blaze had equalised but the Devils won it by finally dumping Phil Hill in front of the net and benefiting from a deflection from him.

Great netminding performances at both ends - Hirsch produced two saves in the second period of the highest quality whilst Lyle was outstanding (as he has been for most of the last month)

A slight outbreak of handbags in the handshakes saw Calder depart early whilst the only disappointing aspect of the game was the reaction of a Blaze fan standing in front of us in a "Carlson 26" shirt when Smith went down injured late on. With Smith prone on the ice and being tended to by the Blaze physio (who was looking worried) he procedded to shout at him things such as "get up, he didn't touch you, you wuss"... I know there is always one but, really....

Very encouraging to beat the Blaze again, we seem to be able to "win ugly" as well as doing all the smooth stuff!

kettdevil1

Angelic_Devil said:
Well they said Calder dropped the gloves but as you said I expect Voth will come out the worse!!!!

Thank you TheStub ;)

To be honest it was a storm in the teacup... no damage done, Brad just played the policeman role.

kettdevil1 said:
whilst the only disappointing aspect of the game was the reaction of a Blaze fan standing in front of us in a "Carlson 26" shirt when Smith went down injured late on. With Smith prone on the ice and being tended to by the Blaze physio (who was looking worried) he procedded to shout at him things such as "get up, he didn't touch you, you wuss"... I know there is always one but, really....
Apologises for that. Luckily the vast majority respected him and gave him a warm applause. From what the Blaze staff said in the bar, the injury wasn't too bad so hopefully he'll be fine.

kettdevil1

Apologises for that. Luckily the vast majority respected him and gave him a warm applause. From what the Blaze staff said in the bar, the injury wasn't too bad so hopefully he'll be fine.[/quote]

No need to apologise - as I said there's always one! It just stood out because I always find visits to the Blaze really enjoyable and this was just unnecessary.

On a different note - how exciting is the league at the moment? Any one of the top 5 look as though they could win it.

kettdevil1 said:
On a different note - how exciting is the league at the moment? Any one of the top 5 look as though they could win it.
I agree that it's exciting. However, I'd say anyone in the top 6 could win it (yes, even Edinburgh!). I think Sheffield and Hull are out of the running already.

Russky

J.B said:
As I said, I tend to focus more on my team than the opposition but I'd say the reason we play poorly against you is probably that we struggle against your quick players, especially our defenceman who aren't the fastest.

You were definately the better side tonight and it would have been a robbery if we took anything from the game.
You must be mellowing with age J.B! :lol: You must be the only Blaze fan who isnt as one eyed as the rest of them! :D

Gazza272

El Supremo said:
kettdevil1 said:
I agree that it's exciting. However, I'd say anyone in the top 6 could win it (yes, even Edinburgh!). I think Sheffield and Hull are out of the running already.

Never count the Steelers out of anything.

Sliput

drainage said:
Chris said:
Word from Samidevils is that Blaze fans are going nuts at the end of the game, Calder dropped his gloves with voth during handshakes and it was a bad ending.

Chris :)
why are they going mad ? Was it Voth or Wes that went at it with Calder ? Any penalties dished out? Am I glad we won - YES !!!!!!!
Calder , Voth and Jarvis all got 10min for unsportsmanlik conduct at 60.00+

Gazza272 said:
El Supremo said:
kettdevil1 said:

Never count the Steelers out of anything.
Regardless of whether the Steelers are out of it or not one fact remains... pretty much every game is now a must win game with 6 teams so close to each other in the table. This means that most games should be entertaining which in turn should hopefully have a positive impact on attendances right across the league.

wildthing74

Fair play to J.B for coming on after the game.I did not think he would be around for a few days.Looking at the league with their games in hand,they are still the team to beat and hopefully a few of those games in hand won't return maximum points for them.
Be great if at least 4 of the teams can hang in there for a while and make it exciting and not a 1/2 horse race by Christmas.Even nicer if one of those teams is not our friends from South Yorkshire.

I agree with JB that Blaze did seem particularly poor last night. I've seen most of the Devils v Blaze games over the last 2/3 seasons home and away and I'd say that was one of their poorest performances. How they didn't get an equaliser after coming back and attacking us again and again for what seemed like a hour at the end (10 minutes or so in reality) was a combination of some good defending, some luck for the Devils and some poor finishing by the Blaze. Saying this, Devils had a couple of chances to wrap it up as well, so it wasn't all one-way traffic. Haven't seen the shots on goal - but I'm guessing it was definitely more on Lyle than Hirsh.

I was stood in front of Block 1 (yes - in front of the noisest Blaze block) and I think there were a few people shouting at Smith to get up, but the majority were respectful. Really hope he's OK, not just because he's a class player, but we really don't want to be changing all the lines about who seem to be working really well together. I thought the 2nd line of Miller, Latullipe and Hill were particularly good last night.

Awesome result for the Devils and if we can grind out a few wins like that when we play away then we'll definitely be challenging for honours at the end of the season. Can't wait for the Belfast match now! :D

An absolutely brilliant performance by the devils last night, i was highly impressed by michel who just didnt give up anything.

That guy who was infront of us telling smith to get up was an idiot, he wasn't so mouthy though when people started telling him he had a tea cosy on his head.

Overall an absolute brilliant performance and it would have been absolutely criminal if the devils hadnt come away with 2 points.

A#45

Well done to the Devils for playing a strong road game and taking the points.

I can understand Wannabe getting frustrated that using the excuse of a poor Blaze performance seems to take away any credit due to the Devils, but as a few Devils fans have said Blaze were poor, with a particularly poor powerplay. Only Hirsch and Stewart came out of the game with any credit IMO.

I thought Lyle played well and the Devils defended very well and really closed down the passing and shooting channels effectively. They also pressed the man with the puck pretty well and most Blaze players didnt have the chance to get their head up to make the pass or shot.

Smith looked badly injured when he left the ice. I'm glad to hear that he is not as bad as was first thought.

If the Devils stay injury free they will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.