Conti Cup opponents.

Gavevs88

Thread starter #1
Not seen much talk on here regarding the weekends opponents. What sort of standard are we expecting? Anyone know anything about any of the 3 teams or any players to look out for?

I for one am excited to see us play someone different with a bit of EIHL pressure off.

It could be just what we need to revive a bit of form and confidence?

ASHIPP

With our team exhausted from the recent schedule congestion, and a few key players with injuries, it's hard to see how they can both use this week to rest/recover, and also prepare for 3 consecutive days of hockey again, against tough teams. Not expecting any progress from the group stage from them but will expect a passionate, determined, focused performance in all 3 games.

A chance to see different sorts of opposition this weekend. Always enjoyable to watch overseas teams. Tickets are a good price and hopefully there might be one or two activities between games to keep fans entertained.

Kevlar68

Let's not make excuses before they've even played. Since Mon 7th until Fri they've played 2 games in 11 days.
3 games in 3 days is tough for any team but the other 3 teams have the same schedule. The other teams may also be carrying injuries, they may have had more games than us before this weekend and they have to travel.

NathanG

I'm not a gambling man but I would back us to reach the finals weekend.

Angers are currently second in the French league. I think we'll have too much for them. French hockey teams lack physicality also so hopefully we can use that to our advantage.

I know porthcawl about the Slovenian team from the Alps league other than they're currently top and are only there because the Kazak team pulled out, which is a blessing as I would have them down as tournament favourites.

Latvian team are currently low in the standings of the Finnish second division. I've watched a game at that level before, it's actually quite good.

Tough weekend but if the Devils turn up each night, we're going to the finals weekend. I'll go for 3 wins out of 3! Haha

terry hunt

Looking at these 3 teams.
Angers are successful at their level and have fairly a mature team with a few Canadian players.
Zemgale and Jesenice again are successful in their home leagues.The big difference betweem them and us is they are packed with youngsters and have big rosters.They are mainly reliant on homegrown talent.
The few games i have seen with French,Latvian and Slovenian teams have been fast and players have very good puck handling,skating skills etc.I suspect we will see(like in the CHL) they will stay out of the sin bin
It is a shame we missed the Kazakh team.
We can win this i believe as long as we keep our discipline.
I hope the refs are up to scratch.

Kevlar68

IF we get to final I'm praying it's not in cardiff just from a selfish point of view I want a weekend away somewhere in Europe watching our boys. :)

NathanG

IF we get to final I'm praying it's not in cardiff just from a selfish point of view I want a weekend away somewhere in Europe watching our boys. :)
That's what I'm holding out for too! I've really missed a CHL jolly this year.

I think the Poles or the Slovaks will qualify from the other group. Nitra are hosting there's so the Polish team could host the final. Wouldn't mind a trip out there. Or if the French team get through, that would be a good trip also. Their rink is beautiful

Wondering what Devils fans thoughts are on the charge for each game via stream. I wonder if all of the ones that objected and complained at Steelers buying the rights so they could charge still feel the same, or is it suddenly different now?

pjj365

Wondering what Devils fans thoughts are on the charge for each game via stream. I wonder if all of the ones that objected and complained at Steelers buying the rights so they could charge still feel the same, or is it suddenly different now?
Good value even if you only take in the Devils games but for 6 games .................!

Earnie

I do not recall what some people said regarding claretgiant’s post so am In no position to comment. However the prices this weekend are very reasonable.

BostonBart22

With our team exhausted from the recent schedule congestion, and a few key players with injuries, it's hard to see how they can both use this week to rest/recover, and also prepare for 3 consecutive days of hockey again, against tough teams. Not expecting any progress from the group stage from them but will expect a passionate, determined, focused performance in all 3 games.

A chance to see different sorts of opposition this weekend. Always enjoyable to watch overseas teams. Tickets are a good price and hopefully there might be one or two activities between games to keep fans entertained.
And emotional of course last few weeks..

Conti cup and revenue, Friday I could understand being quite. I was quite surprised on Saturday how empty the rink was. Of cause its an additional expense and times are tough for alot of people. It did seemed priced decently for value if you had the time/disposable

How do teams cover there costs, is the gate revenue split? Does the iihf cover some? I can imagine the travel and accommodation being quite high and most teams involved don't appear to be dripping in spare cash to waste.

NathanG

We've qualified. It's decided on goal difference so we could still finish second if we get spanked tonight and Ducs hammer Jesenice.

There are a few scenarios that could see each team finish in the second qualifying spot, Ducs and Jesenice will be competing for that today. Ducs will be too strong for them I think, it'll be a good game!

Nitra from Slovakia have qualified from the other group, more or less. The last spot will go to either Asiago or Unia (polish team). If Asiago beat Kremenchuk then they will advance to the finals weekend. That group could get interesting today.

With regards to who hosts the finals weekend. Todd will bid for it. The Ducs owners son was in block 13 last night and they seem confident of their bid being accepted. Nitra will also bid.

Personally I want a trip and would love to go out to Angers in France (if they qualify today).

kettdevil1

ed
Angers is South West of Paris and about 3 hrs by car (from Paris) - not far from Nantes.
Nearest ferry port would be St.Malo
At the risk of being pedantic, it’s really North West France, so I would be tempted to fly to Nantes and then it’s half an hour on the train. Would love to go as haven’t been to the new rink before. Failing that happy if Cardiff host and don’t really want it to be Asiago given travelling fans experiences of Italian rinks in the past

I've been to both Asiago and Ritten to watch the Panthers. Both lovely places but they don't seem to like British fans too much. Best place I've ever been to is Denmark, the Odense and the Sonderjyske fans were more than welcoming and ive got friends in both places still. I think Angers would be the best place for you to go