Confirmed Signings (& some departures) - All Teams 2019/2020

ASHIPP

Elite prospects has Jackson Whistle moving to Panthers. A tandem goalie situation with Kevin Carr?
Wow, if the rumours are true then Danny Taylor will be going to Steelers as starting goalie. Steelers look seriously strong this year. And other teams like Clan have also brought in experience and skill.

Mooney#16

It’s the one distinct area this league has yet to expand into is goalie tandems. The games are becoming that frequent and heavy in workload the time to share the load is rapidly approaching.

terry hunt

Reading the Steelers website clarifies some of this.Their new coach called in Whistle to tell him they were signing 2 import goalies.
I suspect that Whistle was not too pleased at being possibly 3rd choice and being still on a contract with them.
He was allowed to leave perhaps with conditions attached.I suspect a press release will be coming about letting him go to pursue other opportunities knowing full well this late in the summer that most teams will have recruited their starting goalie.
Am i biased or does this look like a typical Steelers move.

Wannabe2

Think it’s a good move by Panthers, especially if they have lost Farmer as well as Lee. Whistle is a tidy netminder who will push their number 1, whilst being a Brit, and he will only get better. Good move by Doucet methinks.

terry hunt

I agree mate but does that make them short in their Brit squad for Farmer to stay?
The Steelers look like going back to their old theory that you cant win the league with a Brit goalie.

Finny

I wonder if that means the Steelers will not be signing a British backup netminder at all. If so and they have one import starting and one on the bench then they’re effectively losing an import space each game.

Devilsatw

I really hope we have a gem of a signing still to be announced!!
Steelers have splashed the cash no ends this season. Definately more than us and Belfast along the way.

ASHIPP

Crumbs that's one heck of a signing. Tony Smith got any money left in his bank account? After playing in Beijing and previously all that time in the NHL, what could Sheffield possibly do to attract St. Pierre there? Add two import goalies still to be announced. Steelers are looking so strong.

kingmo19.1

I wonder if that means the Steelers will not be signing a British backup netminder at all. If so and they have one import starting and one on the bench then they’re effectively losing an import space each game.
Signing 2 import goalies for them makes sense - especially when you’ve got Dowd and O’Connor, brits on a par with most imports.

Pains me to say it, but I think they are looking stronger than us at the moment!

They are also tooling-up well for the future with top GB talent .... Kieran Brown, Alex Graham, Jordan Griffin and Cole Shudra by investing heavily in their apprenticeship scheme - anyone seen our future talent ????? Devils could learn a thing or two from Steelers in that regard.

Last edited:

Ocko

I think they’ve signed Farmer to make up for that sitting import.

august04

There’s very little difference now between the high end Brits and some imports. I also feel that the time has come to sign a two goalie tandem, as we did in ISL days - and if that means an import slot is taken by a goalie who may spend time on the bench, then so be it. I think we have the depth of talent to handle that. Nottingham look to have that goaltending depth now (maybe Sheffield too if rumours are true) and those two goalies will be pushing each other hard, making sure that the incumbent nettie is kept on his toes. I don’t think it’s fair to expect Bowns to go a full season on his own pretty much again (as he did last year). Physically and mentally it’s tough to do that night in, night out. And this coming year, off season signings suggest that the league has improved significantly again, there won’t be any easy games. While Bowns’ form was very good throughout the year and stellar at the end of the season, he can’t be expected to be on top form every night and you need a back up who can come in when needed, tighten the ship during games if Bowns is struggling and take some starts too. We saw that very rarely from Murdy last year so he’s obviously not fancied to do that within the organisation. There were games last year when it was clear that Bowns needed to be lifted, particularly early doors during the CHL campaign and we didn’t do it and paid the price in the CHL in particular. The league is that good now that you need two potential starting goalies, in my opinion. I thought Murdy was capable of being that a couple of years ago but who knows where he’s at now, as he’s hardly played for 2 seasons. He looked a talented goalie but his ability is being wasted when he’s constantly sat on the bench and not seeing any game time.

BostonBart22

There’s very little difference now between the high end Brits and some imports. I also feel that the time has come to sign a two goalie tandem, as we did in ISL days - and if that means an import slot is taken by a goalie who may spend time on the bench, then so be it. I think we have the depth of talent to handle that. Nottingham look to have that goaltending depth now (maybe Sheffield too if rumours are true) and those two goalies will be pushing each other hard, making sure that the incumbent nettie is kept on his toes. I don’t think it’s fair to expect Bowns to go a full season on his own pretty much again (as he did last year). Physically and mentally it’s tough to do that night in, night out. And this coming year, off season signings suggest that the league has improved significantly again, there won’t be any easy games. While Bowns’ form was very good throughout the year and stellar at the end of the season, he can’t be expected to be on top form every night and you need a back up who can come in when needed, tighten the ship during games if Bowns is struggling and take some starts too. We saw that very rarely from Murdy last year so he’s obviously not fancied to do that within the organisation. There were games last year when it was clear that Bowns needed to be lifted, particularly early doors during the CHL campaign and we didn’t do it and paid the price in the CHL in particular. The league is that good now that you need two potential starting goalies, in my opinion. I thought Murdy was capable of being that a couple of years ago but who knows where he’s at now, as he’s hardly played for 2 seasons. He looked a talented goalie but his ability is being wasted when he’s constantly sat on the bench and not seeing any game time.
Good post, agree Murdy needs more game time this season, no reason he shouldnt start one of the pre season friendlies 10th or 11th august and get a few full games in the challenge cup as devils got 8 games against the other 2 teams in the group, god forbid if bowns got injured early doors and Murdy was not match sharp due to lack of playing time.

pjj365

I would not disagree with either august04 and BostonBart22 BUT

IIRC
Lordo and Bowns said last year that Ben needs/wants to play as much as possible to stay sharp
Ben has said that Mad Dog is essential to maintain his form pushing him all the time and as a key training partner

Add in Dan as goalie coach and we see 4 people in this equation such that however much we believe and hope Murdy has more ice time we have to trust those 4 to do the right thing