Conboy banned

nmase20 said:
Soundwave1 said:
Genuine question (I promise I'm not trolling!) :D

Could someone explain how a relatively tame head butt to a guy with a helmet and shield on is worse both morally and physically than punching someone square in the face repeatedly?
I was actually thinking the same thing myself, when you put it into context it does seem silly. bare knuckle punching to the face is fine but a headbutt, and not a particularly hard one at that, helmet to helmet is a 5 game ban?
Im not condoning it at all and it was a stupid move to make by conboy... just I know which one I would rather.
Exactly....I'd definitely rather take a head butt while wearing a helmet than the latter!

Soundwave1 said:
nmase20 said:
Soundwave1 said:
Genuine question (I promise I'm not trolling!) :D

Could someone explain how a relatively tame head butt to a guy with a helmet and shield on is worse both morally and physically than punching someone square in the face repeatedly?
I was actually thinking the same thing myself, when you put it into context it does seem silly. bare knuckle punching to the face is fine but a headbutt, and not a particularly hard one at that, helmet to helmet is a 5 game ban?
Im not condoning it at all and it was a stupid move to make by conboy... just I know which one I would rather.
Exactly....I'd definitely rather take a head butt while wearing a helmet than the latter!
though usealy a fight is agreement by both players, where a head butt is just one play making the choice

Gaz G said:
Going back a few years here but didn't a capitals player (odoya, excuse spelling) head butt Vother up in Edinburgh? I'm sure I have that on a fights dvd somewhere. If so what punishment did he get.

Granted I wasn't at the game this week and didn't see the incident. However I find it impossible to accept that the league can ban a playet from one team and have no bearing on what happens to the other team. As has been suggested I would simply organise 5 friendly games against the nihl team and see how the league deal with it. Alternatively in future years have friendly games that have nothing to do with the eihl.

I am struggling to see this as anything but ridiculous.
Voth stuck the head on Adam knight when they were scrapping behind the benches only the fans saw that though.

maccab5 said:
Gaz G said:
Going back a few years here but didn't a capitals player (odoya, excuse spelling) head butt Vother up in Edinburgh? I'm sure I have that on a fights dvd somewhere. If so what punishment did he get.

Granted I wasn't at the game this week and didn't see the incident. However I find it impossible to accept that the league can ban a playet from one team and have no bearing on what happens to the other team. As has been suggested I would simply organise 5 friendly games against the nihl team and see how the league deal with it. Alternatively in future years have friendly games that have nothing to do with the eihl.

Voth stuck the head on Adam knight when they were scrapping behind the benches only the fans saw that though.
Welcome to the eihl I'm guessing u not been a fan long?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

there is 1 person to blame for this and its Darnell.

if you dont control the game properly then players who play on the edge will boil over.

running our netminder and we ended up with a 2 + 5min penalty if i can remember rightly, how does that stack up?

the refs are rubbish and could ruin what is getting to be a popular sport in this country!

limpdick deserved everything he got that night

Mooney#16

devils2001uk said:
maccab5 said:
Gaz G said:

Welcome to the eihl I'm guessing u not been a fan long?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Afraid you got that wrong. Mac has been around hockey long enough to know exactly what's going on. Precisely the point. All the tough guys are capable of some spicy stuff and have in their time. They are well loved fan favourites though. Apparently Conboy is a bad tempered, stupid hockey player who should know better than to do anything outside the moralistic stand point of the majority of ignorant fans. Limpright took the game to where it ended up. Conboy is merely guilty of letting his heart rule his head. Personally I think he deserves more support than he is receiving especially as the league are about to use him for the opening statement of intent of the year.

drainage

Afraid you got that wrong. Mac has been around hockey long enough to know exactly what's going on. Precisely the point. All the tough guys are capable of some spicy stuff and have in their time. They are well loved fan favourites though. Apparently Conboy is a bad tempered, stupid hockey player who should know better than to do anything outside the moralistic stand point of the majority of ignorant fans. Limpright took the game to where it ended up. Conboy is merely guilty of letting his heart rule his head. Personally I think he deserves more support than he is receiving especially as the league are about to use him for the opening statement of intent of the year.
I think fans do support him but that does not mean you can't say what he did was daft. Yes Limpwrights actions started it and Darnells ineptitude made sure it happened but he shouldn't have head butted him

All that said it sticks in my throat that the powers that be wade into a friendly where they cannot exercise any influence over the other team and given we didnt use normal icing calls and fight straps werent present we didnt seem to be playing EIHL rules!

Martynwo

Hardly a head butt, by definition heads butting together, it was more of a "helmets coming together".
If you read reports and comments from the game from afar it would sound like as if it was a proper street fight head butt both resulting in stitches.

Intention, yes, descriptive head butt no.
Game pen yes, ban no. On account if it was the other way around the Danish league wouldn't have done anything.

Darnell needs a reality check that he is still not up to Elite standard and accept some of the responsibility of not controlling the game. The run on the LaCosta was far more dangerous , the injury far worse and nothing got called.

osh

Wasn't at the game, haven't seen any video coverage, but it's been very interesting reading all the comments regarding the actual 'head butt' incident ( some very amusing it has to be said ) I don't condone any attempt to head butt irrespective of whether both guys were wearing helmets or not.

Apparently the EIHL press release states a head butt receives a 5 match penalty, so if that's the case we have to accept it I suppose. Perhaps G is appealing behind the scenes and maybe it won't be a 5 gamer. Now that Hanson has been announced as the new EIHL head of discipline, he may be more sympathetic to the incident ?!?!

osh

this from 'BEHIND THE NET
Sep
If you’re gonna be dumb you gotta be tough…

This weekend marks the start of the 2013/14 Elite League season following a pre season that saw teams a mix of international travel take place from Nottingham and Sheffield travelling abroad to a number of teams welcoming teams here.

One of these teams in question was EIK Esbjerg who were invited over to play in a mini tournament between the Cardiff Devils and the Coventry Blaze. The team stayed in Cardiff’s WMC (Welsh Millennium Centre) and spent a day or two having a look around the city to see what was on offer, but come game time all pleasantries were left at the door as the two teams embarked in a physical encounter that caught everyone by surprise.

The Danish side are a young team, not known for fighting and with an allowance of only seven imports they don’t have space to consider carrying an enforcer. The Devils however are a side this year stacked with guys who are more than willing to drop them if they are called upon.

On the Friday night the Devils head coach Gerad Adams assured the Esbjerg side that despite the guys he had signed the game the following evening would not become fight night in the bay, Adams however had not banked on an Esbjerg player taking a run and subsequently injuring his number one net minder. This gesture by Esbjerg combined with the rough and tumble style of this seasons Devils team meant that no soon had Dan LaCosta hit the ice his team mates were throwing punches. From this moment onwards the niggles would continue until the point where Devils 88 Andrew Conboy head butted an Esbjerg player to the ice.

Conboy was ejected from the game and given a match penalty by the referee Tom Darnell. The Elite League has since stepped in and announced that this has been upped to a five game suspension which is automatically carried with that penalty and this will be reviewed this week. What Conboy did was stupid and he will probably be the first person to tell you this and no one is disagreeing that he shouldn’t be punished for what he did. He is after all accountable for his actions. The problem I find in this however is that this was not an Elite League game, this was organised by the two teams and the Devils even posted the rules of the tournament up on the official website so people could clarify any changes. The only notable change being that line icing was played as opposed to touch icing that is used in the EIHL.

Does that mean that Elite League discipline can step in if it isn’t one of the games that they organised? If we look at it from the perspective that it was an Esbjerg player that head butted a Cardiff player, would the Elite League then contact the Danish league and make sure that the player in question was banned there, the answer is of course no. As it stands the Devils currently have a number one goalie showing concussion symptoms and listed as day to day and the Esbjerg player didn’t even receive a call on the ice let alone it escalating any further.

My personal opinion is this should come down to fair play and treating the team as equals. This is not a game that was under the EIHL banner, the EIHL would not be able to treat the opposition the same, the Devils have clearly got injury issues resulted from other incidents that occurred that evening that were not called on the ice which resulted in players stepping into protect each other. Does Conboy deserve five games? Yes of course he does, what he did was stupid and an illegal play for a reason. If this was a league game then this article would never have been written but the issue here is it was not a league game, so can the same rules apply?

Admin Note: Don’t forget to sign up for our brand new EIHL Score Prediction League. For more information click here to view our rules page.

By admin in EIHL 1 Comment »

Interesting taken things eh?

Earnie

Good for Conboy I say!

His heart and passion is in the right place.

A bunch of fives on the end of Limpwrists nose would have been more effective and less troublesome though?

D

Deleted member 1337

Martynwo said:
Hardly a head butt, by definition heads butting together, it was more of a "helmets coming together".
If you read reports and comments from the game from afar it would sound like as if it was a proper street fight head butt both resulting in stitches.

Intention, yes, descriptive head butt no.
Game pen yes, ban no. On account if it was the other way around the Danish league wouldn't have done anything.

Darnell needs a reality check that he is still not up to Elite standard and accept some of the responsibility of not controlling the game. The run on the LaCosta was far more dangerous , the injury far worse and nothing got called.
This ^^^

voth26

if the game wasn't played under the eihl banner how can the eihl step in an issue the ban if it was nothing to do with them in the first place?? does this mean the devils can challenge the ban and is the ban legal?

D

Deleted member 1337

voth26 said:
if the game wasn't played under the eihl banner how can the eihl step in an issue the ban if it was nothing to do with them in the first place?? does this mean the devils can challenge the ban and is the ban legal?
More than less what I was thinking

Mooney#16

I just can't get my head around his own fan bases lack of support for the guy. In everyday life I'm perfectly aware of where the line is of acceptability but in hockey the line is blurred so I just find the vitriol out of touch. Ice hockey is a game of threat, intimidation, retaliation and use of physical force. All not acceptable in civvy street but on the ice part of the fabric of the game and accepted by any player when they put a skate on the ice. A player took his elbow (the hardest part of the body to strike an opponent) and put it through the head (most vulnerable part of the body) of a goalie who is not involved in the physical aspects of the game. It doesn't get cheaper in hockey but because elbowing and interference are common calls it viewed as a more minor offence. That incident is just incendiary for the whole of the remainder of the game. A head butt for some reason is carrying everyone's moral wrath when the truth is he didn't injure anyone. He is being dealt with disproportionately by the league in the context of that game with little interpretation being exercised. Something they are perfectly at liberty to use. He got a match. Fair penalty. He sits a match. Two at best but five from a non EIHL game is way of the scale. The guy reacted but not of the cuff. There was deep provocation in that fixture. But we're talking hockey here. Its in the game. The DNA of the guys. They do these things. Do I feel the need to condemn him for it. No I don't. The only criticism I could have is that he didn't just turn around a run there nettie. He would have got less anyway and it would have had the support of the fan base as he only elbowed him.

dave

voth26 said:
The game would have to have been sanctioned by the Elite league for players insurance, offiicals to be provided etc etc..