Conboy banned

The EIHA starting point for Match suspension for Head Butt is 2 games.

I fear that for it to be rated at 5 games pending further review, I guess we can only thank Mr Darnell for his input for the size of increase already, with the prospect of yet more to come.

I am in no way condoning what Andrew Conboy did, and have said in another thread that it was a stupid thing to allow himself to be goaded into doing. He is a marked man now - no question.

With all the positivity around the new season and new team, it is frustrating to have to start the season one import down. Our Achilles heel in recent years has been not getting off to a good quick positive start getting points on the board early doors. Have we let a golden opportunity to correct this problem slip through our fingers???

Ocko

If penalties received in friendly games count towards the EIHL season then friendlies can count towards the ban itself.... organise 5 fixtures against the NIHL devils.

I think anymore than 5 games would be harsh. Yes it was a stupid thing to do, but come on it was done with no great force and both guys were wearing protective helmets :lol: But then it is Cardiff, so expect the ban to be increased

drainage

Gazza272 said:
While I agree in theory about the headbutting I am not comfortable with handing out bans for games of this nature like this.

In theory the Danes could have been going wild spinning sticks etc and had no way of defending ourselves?

I guess if it was two EIHL teams I can see why the league would be stepping in, but it was an exhibition between two teams from different leagues I would rather it was just left at the game.
Agreed what he did was plain daft but you can't have a system that can only penalise one side if there are transgressions.

Limpwright elbowed La Costa to the head and damn near knocked him out there is no come back on that

Better to warn him about future conduct I think

Wannabe2

Thread starter #26
How exactly can a head butt go from 2 to 5, example is a 2 ban a slight butt, is a 3 ban a harder butt, and what is a 5 game, rip off the opponents helmet and the butt him, just wondering.

There is so much context to this a mandatory tariff of 5 games (which could have been made up after the incident for all we know) seems ludicrous.

There wasn't much to it at all. It was a silly thing to do, but there wasn't a lot to it. Head butting someone doesn't sound great and he was right to get tossed, but it was far from the most violent thing that went on in that game.

Just to add...if this happened in a fixture against the enl team would the ban be the same?

drainage

Tad# said:
5 is probably about right. Silly thing to do.
But you agree that Limpwright can elbow La Costa in head practically knock him out and we have no re dress?? Be interesting to see views if it had happened to one of your players playing a friendly

He was stupid and he shouldnt have done it but it was a friendly and it now appears wasnt even an even playing field

KaneDevils

What a 24 carrot plonker!!

Seriously stupid, as are some of the remarks on here sorry.
He was angry because the opposition ran our nettie? Yes, I'm sure he was, so start a fight, if he rebuffs it, smack him one anyway. Twice if need be. But, to head butt him?
Friendly or no friendly you can't allow such an act. It has to be dealt with, with a ban. 5 games about right.

Hope he learns from his mistake.

Tad#

drainage said:
Tad# said:
But you agree that Limpwright can elbow La Costa in head practically knock him out and we have no re dress?? Be interesting to see views if it had happened to one of your players playing a friendly

He was stupid and he shouldnt have done it but it was a friendly and it now appears wasnt even an even playing field
Of course not. The problem is, the league has no say in teams outside the eihl. I wonder if you could put a complaint against them elsewhere? (hope so).

Also, not quite the same, but Leeb got in trouble for doing something stupid in a friendly too. He was right to get banned. Just like Leeb.

Genuine question (I promise I'm not trolling!) :D

Could someone explain how a relatively tame head butt to a guy with a helmet and shield on is worse both morally and physically than punching someone square in the face repeatedly?

Gaz G

Going back a few years here but didn't a capitals player (odoya, excuse spelling) head butt Vother up in Edinburgh? I'm sure I have that on a fights dvd somewhere. If so what punishment did he get.

Granted I wasn't at the game this week and didn't see the incident. However I find it impossible to accept that the league can ban a playet from one team and have no bearing on what happens to the other team. As has been suggested I would simply organise 5 friendly games against the nihl team and see how the league deal with it. Alternatively in future years have friendly games that have nothing to do with the eihl.

I am struggling to see this as anything but ridiculous.

Soundwave1 said:
Genuine question (I promise I'm not trolling!) :D

Could someone explain how a relatively tame head butt to a guy with a helmet and shield on is worse both morally and physically than punching someone square in the face repeatedly?
I was actually thinking the same thing myself, when you put it into context it does seem silly. bare knuckle punching to the face is fine but a headbutt, and not a particularly hard one at that, helmet to helmet is a 5 game ban?
Im not condoning it at all and it was a stupid move to make by conboy... just I know which one I would rather.

Finny

Block 2 Noise Boys said:
The EIHA starting point for Match suspension for Head Butt is 2 games.

I fear that for it to be rated at 5 games pending further review, I guess we can only thank Mr Darnell for his input for the size of increase already, with the prospect of yet more to come.
No idea about the EIHA, but I think in the EIHL the minimum is 5 for a head butt.

I would also assume the Coventry game would count towards it as it was already arranged.

Tyke Devil

I'd really like to know how running the netminder, and as near as damn it knocking him out, is not witnessed by any of the officials. This is what really needs to be addressed by the almighty EIHL.

Am I right in thinking that there was no penalty following the hit on our NM? I can't recall anything. Obviously nothing happened in the weird and wonderful world according to Darnell.

Then again...so easy for EIHL to ban players (and I am not condoning the headbutt, far from it) but will they ever come to the conclusion that some of our stripeys are just not fit for purpose!

When will they start to use video evidence to finally see that the EIHL stripeys are awful and a joke to the sport. Rather they want to see video evidence to review incidents that would not have happened if the ref had got a grip (or a clue) in the first place.

Rant over......

drainage

Tad# said:
drainage said:
Tad# said:

Of course not. The problem is, the league has no say in teams outside the eihl. I wonder if you could put a complaint against them elsewhere? (hope so).

Also, not quite the same, but Leeb got in trouble for doing something stupid in a friendly too. He was right to get banned. Just like Leeb.
And that's my point blatant bad play is ignored because they aren't British ....play that injured someone versus something that didnt and that the plonker Darnell didn't even call on the night

It was a stupid thing to do but Limpwright was dangerous .... That's the issue I have by all means give him 2 games or warn him about future conduct but also deal with the fact the ref got it totally wrong on night

voth26

why does it need to be reviewed? nobody is condoning the headbutt, they have given him 5 games surely that enough, oh wait I forgot we are the devils lets kick us well and truly in the nuts!!!, really peed off that the cheap shot danes get off scott free. Thought their league was not that physical and relied on skill and speed??? they seemed quite happy to drop the mitts and run the nettie as well as the sneaky cheap shots.