Conboy banned

wildthing74

No surprise is it? Stupid thing to do in the first place so to be expected especially considering how we always come out of these disciplinary hearings plus he's made himself a marked man with the refs already.

Sliput

Sorry but the ban is fully deserved !! No matter where in the world you play you know that head butting is a serious penalty.

There is letting people know you are there but stupid things thing like that must not happen.

Gazza272

While I agree in theory about the headbutting I am not comfortable with handing out bans for games of this nature like this.

In theory the Danes could have been going wild spinning sticks etc and had no way of defending ourselves?

I guess if it was two EIHL teams I can see why the league would be stepping in, but it was an exhibition between two teams from different leagues I would rather it was just left at the game.

ASHIPP

Brilliant start to the season. Why is it that for the first time in ages we have a team who could start the season strong are we already beset with problems? Injured starting netminder - unsure of when he will be fit to play- and a player who will be banned for several crucial games. When will the Devils get the luck they deserve.

Gerad must be tearing his hair out.

:twisted:

Fubar

the ban is not justified imo as it was a friendly. consider the scenario where a danish player headbutted a devil. the ban would be laughed at and non enforceable. good start by the devils and unfortunately he is now earmarked by all officials as a loose cannon. sad really as i think the kid could be an entertainer, but in reality conboy christmas i think :roll:

Agree with the comments. Silly thing to do and the ban is totally justified.

Fighting early on was a good way to win over the home fans. Now Conboy probably has some work to do to make up for this start.

Cannot justify headbutting a player for any reason. Sad, but justified, news.

D

Deleted member 1337

I don't see that the league should be able to issue a ban as Esberg are not an EIHL team I also cannot see that the league could defiantly issue a ban to any of their players as they are not in our league. Not only that but as it is a tournament between Us, Coventry and Esberg the tournament organisers should issue a suitable ban that only applies to tournament games.

Smart Solutions Tournament

Sliput

elliswf said:
I don't see that the league should be able to issue a ban as Esberg are not an EIHL team
They are not but we are. Regardless of who we were playing it was a dumb thing to do !!!

At least now, early on he realizes that gooning around is punished by our league and he can use his skills more effectively. We had flashes of what he can do.

Its okay having an enforcer in the team but they are no good in the bin or in the stands sitting out suspensions.

the game was played under EIHL jurisdiction and had the penalty been the other way round then I imagine the IIHF would have made the call if the player would have faced a home league suspension (as I imagine a Steelers / Panthers player would have if they had got such a penalty while playing their away games)

I didn't see game or highlights - but what caused him to be so reckless?

I saw a few comments on twitter from Limpright and about Limpright but am I right in saying he ran Lacosta and has been a major factor in the injury?

DevilDom

Gazza272 said:
While I agree in theory about the headbutting I am not comfortable with handing out bans for games of this nature like this.

In theory the Danes could have been going wild spinning sticks etc and had no way of defending ourselves?

I guess if it was two EIHL teams I can see why the league would be stepping in, but it was an exhibition between two teams from different leagues I would rather it was just left at the game.
Agree with this. Stupid as it was I think a 1 game ban (i.e. the remaining friendly) would have been fair. The Danes had an open book to do whatever they liked with no fear of retribution which resulted in our nettie being badly injured. Need to look at this before we arrange any further "friendlies" with teams from a different league.

At least 5 games? Well we can't escape the fact that it was silly and it would be unfair if the ban didn't get served. He was obviously upset with Limp-whatever his name is for running LaCosta and his blood kept boiling. Franny said everything he had been doing in both friendly games right up til that incident was what the coaches wanted from Conboy. So for someone to say he'll be gone by Christmas is silly. The first two weekends of the league without him will be tough but when he will be playing, it's going to be brutal for the other teams. For once we look as if we have that player we have been shouting out for. He has done one stupid thing which no doubt G would have talked to him about and people have turned against him already. If this guy can control himself, he's going to be crucial to the Devils.

DevilDom said:
Gazza272 said:

Agree with this. Stupid as it was I think a 1 game ban (i.e. the remaining friendly) would have been fair. The Danes had an open book to do whatever they liked with no fear of retribution which resulted in our nettie being badly injured. Need to look at this before we arrange any further "friendlies" with teams from a different league.
Yep, I agree with you guys.

Fortunately, I think the games we will have without him are winnable and we still have an advantage in toughness even without him for those games (perhaps the Blaze pre-season game aside)

It could end up playing well for the club with a second early season push on ticket sales when he returns a la Voth a few season ago.

Silly penalty and a ban was coming regardless of what rules etc. we were playing under, Elite towers would have made sure of that whatever happened. It would be wrong for the Devils to start a season with a full team on the ice so we are always starting on the back foot.

We gave Elite towers the perfect answer this year, they didn't even have to waste time making something up and I wouldn't be surprised to see that figure increased after review.

As others have said the bigger problem is he is now a marked man if he wasn't already and we know how that worked out for Voth. If he checks anyone in future he will be in the bin and anything more than that and he will be thrown out and banned. Remember big guys have to play non contact hockey in the UK or at least some of them do.

It's a shame as he looks a decent player and finally someone to try and fill Voth's skates but as with Voth he won't be allowed to play in the Elite league now.