Carruth Going?

august04 2.0

What has any of that got to do with Carruth?
Because if it was me, I’d have a bit more respect for the club, players and fans that I’m leaving and insist that if you want me to sign, it does not get announced until the end of the Devils season. It’s not that difficult.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Wish Mac well, very soon he will be history like many others just history, good goalie but certainly replaceable like they all are. If any player wants to move on then move on and we wish you well. At the end of the day we want players who want to be here, is Denmark a step up DuPont came to us from there so that says it all, there’s more to being a team player than ability

Diablo3

If we go back to 4 line hockey can we realistically stick with two import goalies? What do we think? If we do we’ll have to look at recruiting another proven Brit. Unless one of the import goalies sits out every game and Murdy is back up goalie.
Depends on what ratio of players we have to comply with. I hear we can have a roster of 22, so its all down to how many Brits are required

jenks33

Depends on what ratio of players we have to comply with. I hear we can have a roster of 22, so its all down to how many Brits are required
How many of this seasons roster are you bringing back? Now Skalde is gone I’m down to 10 or 11. Having said that if it’s a roster of 22 then it might be 12ish.

voth26

I’d have Bowns back in tandem with an import goalie (not sure that Kozun is the right option?), and let them fight it out for that starting spot. Not with a young Brit as back up though.
Bownsy will be a panther next season, he's helping their youngsters as he couldn't sign for panthers as injury cover for carr

Wannabe2

If Bownsy has no desire to win any more trophies, then he will sign for Panthers as they certainly don’t look like they are going anywhere.

jenks33

If Ben goes to Nottingham good luck to him. I 100% believe it’s the right decision for the Devils to stay away from Bownsy. Don’t get me wrong I’d take him if he was happy to share the duties with another top goalie but he will be expecting to start 75% of matches. He’s got nothing to prove in Cardiff

E.D.S.

Well since lord left this club has gone to the dogs. Players and coaches leaving at will.

We were once an attractive club that apparently everyone wanted to play for.

Not no more.

I mean we couldn’t even sign Myers mosey or half the players from last season back.
Are you related to Mazzoak? Asking for a friend.

MA18

Because if it was me, I’d have a bit more respect for the club, players and fans that I’m leaving and insist that if you want me to sign, it does not get announced until the end of the Devils season. It’s not that difficult.
How do you know that isn’t what he asked for?

ASHIPP

Bownsey is currently coaching the young goalies playing for Panthers. He played for Panthers last year in the mini EL tournament. The celestial stars are aligning for him to be Panthers' goalie next year.

Todd, Franny, our Owners will have seen what works best over the last few seasons. Got no doubt the Devils will have a good goalie duo by the start of next season.

moggy#9

If we go back to 4 line hockey can we realistically stick with two import goalies? What do we think? If we do we’ll have to look at recruiting another proven Brit. Unless one of the import goalies sits out every game and Murdy is back up goalie.
In any ideal situation goalies wouldn't count towards the import totals. The situation where teams have a number one goalie and someone else essentially just fill a space on the roster, in the knowledge that they'll never actually be stepping on the ice, is absurd. We might as well auction the opportunity to dress as the backup for games.

I believe that there must be two quality goalies for reasons I've gone into numerous times. Perhaps though this isn't the right question to ask. Here are some I thought of.

What is the league doing to develop goalies? Indeed, where is the next batch of GB goalies coming from without things changing? In the past bownsy has been the only British goalie to log substantial league minutes.

What can be done about a league structure that forces goalies to play a punishing schedule, and to sometimes do so whilst carrying an injury?

Is the only realistic route to developing high quality Brits (in any position) to ship them off to Europe for a few years to learn the game?

My answers to these are:
No (see question 3)

The structure of competitions must change to make each one different, and to encourage the use of backup goalies and developing Brits.

Yes

What does everyone else think?

NathanG

In any ideal situation goalies wouldn't count towards the import totals. The situation where teams have a number one goalie and someone else essentially just fill a space on the roster, in the knowledge that they'll never actually be stepping on the ice, is absurd. We might as well auction the opportunity to dress as the backup for games.

I believe that there must be two quality goalies for reasons I've gone into numerous times. Perhaps though this isn't the right question to ask. Here are some I thought of.

What is the league doing to develop goalies? Indeed, where is the next batch of GB goalies coming from without things changing? In the past bownsy has been the only British goalie to log substantial league minutes.

What can be done about a league structure that forces goalies to play a punishing schedule, and to sometimes do so whilst carrying an injury?

Is the only realistic route to developing high quality Brits (in any position) to ship them off to Europe for a few years to learn the game?

My answers to these are:
No (see question 3)

The structure of competitions must change to make each one different, and to encourage the use of backup goalies and developing Brits.

Yes

What does everyone else think?
Agreed with question 3. Europe. I think Brits should look to head over to Europe to develop. The Swedish and Czech development leagues are top class. Didn't Waller play in the Czech youth system for a few years? Along with NHL player and Cardiff born Nathan Walker.

The British junior system needs massive investment. Lack of facilities is also a huge problem. Nearest Ice rink to me is Cardiff, over an hour away