Cardiff Devils v Belfast Giants - Sun 6pm - Chat/Updates

Wannabe2

the rest of the chat is about McMorrow, who didnt take a single Penalty minute tonight.......perhaps if you'd been more worried about the actual players on our team, maybe you'd have won in reg

Mcsorrow should have been given a 10 min penalty for impersonating a hockey player. :lol:

Gazza272

Finny said:
I would have been disappointed if Voth did fight him. With Smith injured we were already one import down - to lose Voth for 5 minutes would have been daft.
McMorrow offers nothing else to his team. You could see how disappointed he was when he came off having not had a fight.
He got by my counting 6 shifts all game. 3 in the first, 2 in the second and 1 in the third.

Someone suggested that Voth was quiet because of McMorrow - I think he was just unable to check people like usual as the Giants were constantly grabbing players, and when one of our players did manage to throw their body around they were met with an elbow or a stick to the face.

The big check we did get off in the third period was G's who set up the play for Towey's goal, whoever did check a Giants player your quite right in saying either got grabbed or got sticked!

I dont think its fair to say we got pushed around in our own barn tonight is really fair, if the devils responded to every piece of dirty play last night they would have ended up in the bin as much as belfast and with how dire they played in the first two periods we really didnt need that. I think it was Darnells job to stop what was going on because nothing the devils had to say would have made a difference. We had team toughness last year and look where that got us, i'd pick this years team over last years everyday of the week.

mazza03 said:
W3LSH said:
McMorrow is an absolute goon! A shame Voth didn't sort him out. Voth seems very quiet lately? In terms of fights and even hits... don't think a unkown would realise he's the Devils enforcer.
Voth did exactly the right thing and laughed at him and kept laughing, the guy is a goon, not the sort we want Brad sitting 2/5/10 minutes in the bin for.
True about Brad not sitting in the bin... but a few hits wouldn't have gone a miss just to keep the Giants aware that they may have to answer to some of their cheap shots. Just looks to me like he has pulled out of more hits lately than he has gone in for

I think Mc callister would be a good fit. I was impressed with him when he played at our place for Vipers last season, a good solid stay at home D man. We struggled to get around him last season. He can play, reads the game well and most of all would shut Mc Morrow up straight away!!
DevilDom said:
It wasn't pretty but at least we won.

IMO the game was very similar to the last home game against the Giants. We allowed them to push us around and intimidate us on our own ice. I think there is too much pressue on Voth as the Giants had probably 3 or 4 guys who are prepared to go whereas we have Voth and Miller (who isn't that big but is a psycho!). If there are to be any changes to the team (and I stress IF), I would be looking for a big D man, a bit quicker then MacIver was, who is prepared to step up when needed (possibly to replace Romfo).

Devils were terrible for 2 periods with the PP especially poor. Third period we picked it up and got some reward. I think we missed Smith badly. His invention and quick passing would I think been the difference between the teams had he played.

Its slightly annoying we have now let Belfast take 3 out 4 points on our patch, but as I think the officiating played a big part in that and was (again) very poor.

I do think G should have the boys in for extra passing and PP practice this week and Romfo should be given lines - "I will not ice the puck on the PP"!

Finny said:
Belfast are definately the dirtiest team this season.
really? cause you know the stats say otherwise. Even with McMorrows massive 141PiM theres still a team above the giants in the PIM league......guess who?

And I know McMorrow has a role to play - but what a complete waste of an import slot. And what a classless idiot at times too.
ive heard alot of things said about McMorrow, most of them justified, but the guy actually oozes class, our last visit to your barn he spent a good hour after the game signing autographs etc while some of your players shunned anyone who asked for a autograph.
During the warm-up Voth went over to the bench to have his photo taken with some kids who were puck sponsors. McMorrow took this opportunity to skate over and shout nonsense at Voth. Voth turned, stared at him and just chuckled. McMorrow then started shouting more abuse and swearing at him and Francis on the bench. Right infront of the kids. Nice one. Idiot.
this just didnt happen the giants hadnt even got onto the ice while the puck sponsors pictures were being taken. I know we're the team you seem to hate this season justified or not but this sort of thing just makes you look desperate.

1st shift of the game and he is on for the face off. Goes for Voth straight from the face-off but Voth just shrugs him off and gets on with the game. McMorrow eventually gets the messages and slopes off to the bench with his game pretty much over.
i think thats 1-0 voth, no arguments there, Voth in the box hurts you more than McMorrow in the box hurts us.

I think he got about 6 shifts for the rest of the game, 1 of which included him trying to check Birbraer but totally mis-timing it and sending himself flying into the boards headfirst. I do like DevilsTV replays!
even i laughed, until i realised he almost spilled my beer!

Ah well, 2 points is 2 points. Hopefully the League will dock Belfast 2 points for the flights farce, though I doubt it.
because it was totally within our control? again i refer you to the point about even though you hate us doesnt mean every little thing we do is planned and calculated to inconvience you.

The 2 hour wait was long and cold, kudos to your off ice team for doing as much as they could to keep us entertained. The game i thought was quite entertaining, the result was disappointing but thats sport sometimes.

Jacko said:
During the warm-up Voth went over to the bench to have his photo taken with some kids who were puck sponsors. McMorrow took this opportunity to skate over and shout nonsense at Voth. Voth turned, stared at him and just chuckled. McMorrow then started shouting more abuse and swearing at him and Francis on the bench. Right infront of the kids. Nice one. Idiot.
this just didnt happen the giants hadnt even got onto the ice while the puck sponsors pictures were being taken. I know we're the team you seem to hate this season justified or not but this sort of thing just makes you look desperate.
im afraid your wrong my friend, my nephew had a puck sponser and all the photo's where taken towards the end of the warm up and the giants where present and on the ice, and the actions of this clown Mcsorrow actualy scared him and a few other kids that where standing on the bench waiting their turn to have a picture, justifyed or not there is no excuse for the unprofessional act that mcsorrow carried out, even franny pointed out that the kids where standing on the bench and Mcmorrow didnt seem to care 1 bit, a true professional huh :roll:

drainage

Sorry you are wrong as the sponsor photos didnt happen until the warm up and the warm up didnt happen until the Giants arrived and they happened at the end of the warm up , your claim they werent on the ice doesnt hold water ! Desperate I think not !

Very classy proffesional player then Jacko. Sorry but everyone is correct, the photos happened at the warm up with the giants present. and Yes this incident happened. If that was a Devils player i wouldn't stick up for them for acting like that. You should be ashamed of having your logo on his chest. Ineffective waste of space who acts like that infront of children.

Shame really. Gives you a bad name.

Wannabe2

I dont have the slightest problem with another team than mine, having a tougher fighter, the more the merrier is my take. But having a guy whos aim is just to fight anyone on the ice, from the toughest to the smallest, and will go to any lengths to get them to fight, then thats a total farce. Mcmorrow is just a Canadian version of Sharpe, except he takes up a import slot. This guy contributes naff all on the ice, what Belfast could do with is a mark 2 of Schulte.

Finny

Jacko said:
As others have already pointed out, it did happen. I was right above it at the time and couldn't believe he was doing it. I tried to shout at it to shut up with kids around but he was too busy abusing Voth and Francis.

What he did in the warm up is very bad, disgusting in fact, but in other ways he is a good guy when it comes to the fans. Like what he did at the previous belfast game and he did infact ask for a piece of paper of a fan again this time i believe and he hung round to sign autographs. Also, one of the belfast players, i think it may have been johnson or bateman but im not sure, gave a kid one of the pucks at the end of warm up. Maybe the devils need to take a leaf out of the giants book when it comes to this sort of thing.

nmase20 said:
What he did in the warm up is very bad, disgusting in fact, but in other ways he is a good guy when it comes to the fans. Like what he did at the previous belfast game and he did infact ask for a piece of paper of a fan again this time i believe and he hung round to sign autographs. Also, one of the belfast players, i think it may have been johnson or bateman but im not sure, gave a kid one of the pucks at the end of warm up. Maybe the devils need to take a leaf out of the giants book when it comes to this sort of thing.

Well if your around at the end of the next game come round by the penalty box and see what the Devils players do for my grandsons and many other kids at the end of every game as they have been doing each season. Also come to the Junior Devils training session every Tuesday and Wednesday and see what the players do then. What a STUPID post !!!!! :lol: :lol:

the devils were on the ice for a good 5 minutes before the giants were, and this is when i believed the pictures were taken. I thought this because the same 2 little girls who came and asked your announcers where to go cause they were sponsoring the puck, were standing round at the other side of the bench getting their photos taken.
I was standing around by the benches because one of our guys had brought me something from home. I was talking to our bench coach about the penalty shot call the night before.

If im wrong (and certainly it appears i am with soo many eye witnesses to the contrary) then i agree without question its disgusting behavior, from someone who does know better.

McMorrow is far from useless on the ice though. Yes he chasing down needless fights, and no hes not lighting up the points charts, but sometimes being the tough guy is about more than that, he fires some excellent hits against some of the smaller skilled players in the league which rattles them and makes them think twice before going into corners etc. And before anyone mentions Bribaer, yes he missed that one Bribaer seen him coming and was just too fast for him, but everyone misses hits, even voth has hit a few shadows in his time. Yes hes a goon, but he is a class above Sharpe IMO and we can afford the hit on the import place because we have 2 of the top 5 british netminders, so why not? I believe he offers more than he costs us.

A Schulte mkII would be nice, although its just never going to happen, players like schulte are kept in NA now, as there are less and less out and out goons every year (see McMorrow coming here)

drainage

Jacko said:
the devils were on the ice for a good 5 minutes before the giants were, and this is when i believed the pictures were taken. I thought this because the same 2 little girls who came and asked your announcers where to go cause they were sponsoring the puck, were standing round at the other side of the bench getting their photos taken.
I was standing around by the benches because one of our guys had brought me something from home. I was talking to our bench coach about the penalty shot call the night before.

If im wrong (and certainly it appears i am with soo many eye witnesses to the contrary) then i agree without question its disgusting behavior, from someone who does know better.

McMorrow is far from useless on the ice though. Yes he chasing down needless fights, and no hes not lighting up the points charts, but sometimes being the tough guy is about more than that, he fires some excellent hits against some of the smaller skilled players in the league which rattles them and makes them think twice before going into corners etc. And before anyone mentions Bribaer, yes he missed that one Bribaer seen him coming and was just too fast for him, but everyone misses hits, even voth has hit a few shadows in his time. Yes hes a goon, but he is a class above Sharpe IMO and we can afford the hit on the import place because we have 2 of the top 5 british netminders, so why not? I believe he offers more than he costs us.

A Schulte mkII would be nice, although its just never going to happen, players like schulte are kept in NA now, as there are less and less out and out goons every year (see McMorrow coming here)
Yes they were out before the Giants but the pics were taken at end of warm up not beginning - they clearly called the puck sponsors to the bench few mins from end. Think you are right to concede it seems to be the case !!

For me McMorrow - who I saw ice 5 times in first 2 periods (had to leave early .... or late whichever way you view it!!) so really would find it hard to call him a decent player - maybe he does more at home/other rinks. My view would be turn the constant baiting/chatter/wind up down and ice more and maybe he is a decent player !! he seriously isnt helping himself at moment in my view

ASHIPP

Have to say that we were lucky, IMHO, to clinch that win. The Guys have been playing so well recently, I was shocked to see such scrappy, disorganised systems with poor passing and bad positioning. All teams at some time will produce poor performances but the Devils were extremely slow to step up in p1 and p2 and really, they should have been the team with the advantage this time, playing at home with only 1 match at the weekend.
Unlike the matches against Nottingham and Coventry, where the Guys seemed to have got the measure of those team systems so quickly, it almost appeared to be a repeat of many of last year's games.
Stevie Lyle was completely outstanding and kept the Devils in. One or two of the others like Tylor, Miller, Ben and G seemed to be playing with determination and trying to create chances.
I couldn't believe how bad the pp system worked when so far this season, it's been a triumph. Giants getting a short-handed goal reflected poorly on our pk system too. How ironic that it should be Hartwick who set up Latullippe for the winning goal when, to be honest, I actually thought both of them had produced a less than average performance up till then.
Matches against the Giants are always very close - the CC semis are going to be very tough against them.
The 2 points were ground out, thankfully, and if the Guys are going to really challenge, those home games HAVE to be won. They could have made it much easier for themselves - and I doubt G was very happy with that performance at all.

ASHIPP said:
Giants getting a short-handed goal reflected poorly on our pk system too. How ironic that it should be Hartwick who set up Latullippe for the winning goal .
How does a SH goal reflect badly on our PK unit? :?

Also it was Romfo not Hartwick that set Latutulippe ;)

Iceraider said:
ASHIPP said:
Giants getting a short-handed goal reflected poorly on our pk system too. How ironic that it should be Hartwick who set up Latullippe for the winning goal .
How does a SH goal reflect badly on our PK unit? :?

Also it was Romfo not Hartwick that set Latutulippe ;)
Think they means PP unit

DWD

Finny said:
Hopefully the League will dock Belfast 2 points for the flights farce, though I doubt it.
:lol: Genius.

Remind me Finny. When we all turned up to the Odyssey a couple of seasons ago to find the game delayed, then postponed due to Cardiff's cancelled flight... how many points did the "league deduct" from your team? ;)