Cardiff Devils Release...

DevilDom said:
I imagine Hill was the 3rd highest earning Brit on the team behind Myers and Richie. Has he been the 3rd best performing Brit on the team? Not by a longshot.

We don't yet know all the reasons behind him being gassed but if it means G can bench himself and bring in another import then I think most people would be happy. If its just a money saving exercise then maybe not. Time will tell, but G obviously felt something needed to be done and he has acted.
Has he acted??

TheStub

I heard that Hill had been dropped to the 4th line for the Caps game up there, and CJ and Piggot getting his minutes. If that wasn't a warning shot, I don't know what is.

I'm actually pleased that we've made a move like this - although I'm shocked at the speed. Too me this smells of a hockey decision and hopefully we'll see another import, G on the bench and the young Brits taking the minutes that they've earned.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free

mazza03

Wow I didn't see that coming I know Phil hasn't played as well as he should but I'm quite surprised, Good luck Phil wherever you go. :eek:

mazza03 said:
Wow I didn't see that coming I know Phil hasn't played as well as he should but I'm quite surprised, Good luck Phil wherever you go. :eek:
It took three pages to wish him luck but I also wish Phil the very best of luck, not my favourite player and very frustrating to watch at times but has contributed at some crucial times for the Devils

Koop11

I feel for Phil. He’s been a real servant to the club for many years now and this is not how I would have imagined he’d depart from the club. His performances at home the last 12 months have appeared average but when you look at his stats it shows there is a contribution. Ironically I think he performs better away from home. Ironic in he’s not the quickest of guys and therefore you’d think he’d struggle on big ice.

I don’t think Phil has been the same player since his line mate, Voth, left the club. He comes across a yard of the pace and he hits have turned into pushes. He goes very unnoticed in a position which you have to be noticed.

Phil is a 40-50 point a season Brit. He’s the 4th highest scoring player on this year’s team so far and joint highest Brit with 9 points in 12 starts (2G and 7A). However, when you watch him he doesn’t come across as energetic as the other Brits. I don’t think the younger Brits in our team will hit the points margin that Phil will and that is a problem for us now in releasing him. That said it’s a financial balance. These guys are not earning what Phil does.

Similar principle applies to our current highest point scoring player/import who on performances at home has looked the shadow of himself. Do you question the role of a guy who has scored 16 points in 12 games (2G and 14A)? Interesting stuff.

Gerad would not have taken this decision likely but there is huge pressure on him at the moment. I think in the interest of his own job and the team as a whole he has to be seen to make tough decisions and cutting one of your ‘top’ Brits is just that. If Gerad is moving to the bench then that move alone doesn’t release finances to bring in another import so another change was needed. Phil unfortunately is that change.

Phil is known for his hard work off the ice, particularly during the off season. I don’t think he’ll have a problem finding another club. All the very best to him.

mazza03

mazza03 said:
I meant to add in this post that I am disappointed with Mat Myers as well I have seen him play much better than he is, Although he did improve a bit on Saturday.

Finny

jodysstillagirlsname said:
mazza03 said:
It took three pages to wish him luck but I also wish Phil the very best of luck, not my favourite player and very frustrating to watch at times but has contributed at some crucial times for the Devils
Perhaps down to shock?

I wasn't that big a Phil Hill fan at the start but after returning from Sheffield he changed his game and become a totally different player. Because of his size people expected him to be a power-forward but that was never his style. Based on what opposition fans have said about him he must have been a nightmare to play against and for several seasons nobody seemed to score more big, game-changing goals when we needed it.

A big thanks to Phil for all he has done for the club and best wishes for the future. Although obviously not when he plays against us.

DevilDom

buzzwagon said:
DevilDom said:
I imagine Hill was the 3rd highest earning Brit on the team behind Myers and Richie. Has he been the 3rd best performing Brit on the team? Not by a longshot.

We don't yet know all the reasons behind him being gassed but if it means G can bench himself and bring in another import then I think most people would be happy. If its just a money saving exercise then maybe not. Time will tell, but G obviously felt something needed to be done and he has acted.
Has he acted??
Is this another "I know something you don't post" that people love putting on here? The press release says it was G's decision, but if you know something different then please feel free to share with us all.

The decision to release Phil was not the coaches and was a management decision 100%.
This will be the first of many shocking decisions by the muppet's running this club. I hope they have a 50 plus point a year Brit up there sleeve but doubt it very much. No disrespect to CJ, Quinney, Batch, Piggot and possibly Ben but they wont retrun the points that Phil has done on a regular basis. Certainly a big pair of skates to fill whatever your opinion.
I for one wish Phil all the best for the future, where ever he ends up.

osh

Sorry, put this in the wrong topic section, meant to put it here.

Re: I'm hearing
Well, changes had to be made, and I suppose some will say G has acted very quickly bearing in mind we have already gassed Ross as well. Hilly has served the Devils very well over the years and we are indebted to him for some excellent points return as a Brit. I'm actually surprised he has been gassed, but then again, I don't know why or what financial implications are involved. I certainly wish him luck in his future and no doubt he will come back to haunt us at some stage. I certainly think he needs to analyse his game and make a few important changes. Maybe he should spend a bit of time with Joe Calzaghe's dad ( or someone like him ) and learn how to throw a few punches now and again. He is big enough to step in at times, but he won't defend others because he can hardly look after himself in that department. I thought his time away pre season would have meant he came back sharp and ready to go, his performances unfortunately have shown him to be leg weary and off the pace. If we are to bring in an import replacement ( assuming G needs to be on the bench because it's not working for Franny in my opinion ) I would hope we bring in a D man and not a replacement forward. We must utilise our remaining Brits to step up in Hilly's position and a new D man to bolster our present sieve like defence in order to offer decent protection to LaCosta.

Gazza272

Gutted for him.

Think of the minutes this guy put in while we were short benched, think of the big goals he has scored. Think of the effort he put in on and off the ice to improve himself.

he has a bit of a wobble over 12 months and there's the door.

In some ways i wonder if his previous high standards have been his undoing.

I just want this season written off already. And I've never said that :(

Have Hope#35

Thread starter #34
His replacement is fundamental... I will make my opinion on this decision then! I wish Phil Hill all the very best, yes his match presence has been lacking recently but he always put up the points... Good luck!

rolf

Curiously enough Steve Montador has just left his KHL club with his future destination unknown. Let's hope he calls into Cardiff on his way home and decides he likes it here. He could just be the missing piece of our hockey jigsaw.

I hope Phil Hill finds a new club soon and prospers. His points contribution will be hard to reproduce and largely went un-noticed which is a real shame. Because he was a big lad, most folk who post on here expected him to fight and displayed frustration that he didn't. He seemingly always popped up with a goal when we needed it despite his perceived shortcomings and I hope we don't end regretting this.

GO WELL PHILBO

voth26

WOW I didn't expect that, I have never expected phil to fight because he isn't a fighter but at 6" plus I would expect him to throw hits and checks, points wise he always went under the radar but was always good for 40 plus a season. best luck phil hope you get a team soon

DevilDom said:
Is this another "I know something you don't post" that people love putting on here? The press release says it was G's decision, but if you know something different then please feel free to share with us all.
Of course it is.

There's all these people with their own fanbases on twitter and facebook lining up to moan about Brent and Ragan but they're terrified of actually saying either name incase they lose whatever is in it for them at the moment.

If another player is released just wait for the hordes of people to jump on the bandwagon and have a moan about the 'management' without actually saying anything.

They're all happy to say something to their friends, on twitter or on here but would they actually name names on here? Would they balls.

My 10 pense worth....

Not the biggest hilly fan. His size totaly preceeds him.... yes, he has had points... and alot of them. But when your on a line with stuart mcrae I think even i could get 30 points!!! Being a player he is expected to do a job. If he doesnt do this then he is liable for his own actions.... morrissette is a better replacment going forward IMO. Move g now to bench/scratch. Get a stay at home D man in. That can assist marsh and smith in being our all important core of D.

I wish him luck and I fully expect hime to be a steeler by this weekend.

Ger-Devils

DevilsPete said:
DevilDom said:
Of course it is.

There's all these people with their own fanbases on twitter and facebook lining up to moan about Brent and Ragan but they're terrified of actually saying either name incase they lose whatever is in it for them at the moment.

If another player is released just wait for the hordes of people to jump on the bandwagon and have a moan about the 'management' without actually saying anything.

They're all happy to say something to their friends, on twitter or on here but would they actually name names on here? Would they balls.
Go back to page 3, someone posted who made the decision. Management not coaches.

Question, why would a coach make his team weaker? think about that before you question this move. This isn't a coaching move, it can't be. This move has come from upstairs.