Cardiff Devils Release...

DevilDom

A bit of a shock but Hill has been struggling for form this year. I'm sure he will find a team pretty quickly though and wish him well.

I couldn't see where it says G to the bench?

Have Hope#35

Thread starter #4
DevilDom said:
Where does it say G to the bench?
It doesn't, I'm asking the question? Will he be replaced... Can't see us finding a decent Brit so if he is then I guess G would have to go to the Bench and we'd get a new Import!?

Finny

Shocked at this to be honest. I know Phil hadn't had the best start to the season but I thought he was a lot better on Saturday and was hoping that the goal he scored on Sunday would be the confidence boost he needed to get the season going.

Will be interesting to see what happens now. Will the money saved from Hill be used to bring in another player - presumably an import with G going to the bench/injury cover. Or is it simply a cost-saving exercise due to lower than expected crowds?

DevilDom

Finny said:
Or is it simply a cost-saving exercise due to lower than expected crowds?
I thought our crowds had been ok so far despite our home form. We had nearly 1400 against the Caps on Saturday which must be close to a record without some sort of ticket deal.

Chris

Administrator
I'd guess this means there are more changes coming.

There aren't many/any other Brits of a similar standard available so perhaps we'll be dropping G to the bench and bringing in another import using the wages saved?

Finny

DevilDom said:
Finny said:
Or is it simply a cost-saving exercise due to lower than expected crowds?
I thought our crowds had been ok so far despite our home form. We had nearly 1400 against the Caps on Saturday which must be close to a record without some sort of ticket deal.
I agree. I think our attendances have been pretty good so far considering who we have played and when. But I thought I read somewhere a comment from someone within the club that they were disappointed by the crowds we had been getting?
I could well be wrong though.

Have Hope#35

Thread starter #10
Finny said:
Shocked at this to be honest. I know Phil hadn't had the best start to the season but I thought he was a lot better on Saturday and was hoping that the goal he scored on Sunday would be the confidence boost he needed to get the season going.

Will be interesting to see what happens now. Will the money saved from Hill be used to bring in another player - presumably an import with G going to the bench/injury cover. Or is it simply a cost-saving exercise due to lower than expected crowds?
Crowds are up according to Ragan's recent statement so that can't be the case:
Fact, the business of the Cardiff Devils continues to improve, crowds and revenues are again up this year, which is a testament to the hard work and leadership of Brent Pope and the off-ice team.

kettdevil1

Surprised as Brits are hard to come by (except my slightly tongue in cheek comment about Watt) but I will reserve judgment until the full impact becomes clear. Phil has struggled, but it is more a matter of who we get in his place that worries me....

G behind the bench and a new import might work but that will mean that we are one body down..... And who would we bring in, a defensive forward? Another sniper?

Have Hope#35

Thread starter #13
kettdevil1 said:
Surprised as Brits are hard to come by (except my slightly tongue in cheek comment about Watt) but I will reserve judgment until the full impact becomes clear. Phil has struggled, but it is more a matter of who we get in his place that worries me....

G behind the bench and a new import might work but that will mean that we are one body down..... And who would we bring in, a defensive forward? Another sniper?
I'm not too concerned about losing a body as we have Harding and Ferrara on two ways, plus Piggott/Quiney/CJ can step up to the challenge! If we replace him it has to be with an import and with the injuries we seem to keep getting i'm sure that there's no need for G to hang up the skates just yet... Even if he does go to the Bench when we have a full quota of imports (providing we replace Hill with an Import?)!

Temme

Gonna throw one into the pot, I'm assuming this is somewhat budget related.

Robert Farmer- what's the likelihood of a Brit for Brit replacement?

I bet there's a handful of teams jumping for joy at this decision though, definitely did not expect a change to our Brits.

He'll end up at Nottingham I think, assuming they're still covering injuries?

Glad to see they're not afraid to make changes though.

Would like to thank Phil for his service over the years, glad he played for us and not anyone else!

If Hill gets gassed then I bet there's a handful of players there clutching at straws. Hill was nowhere near the source of the problems on the ice. Or was this not performance related?

Temme

tigertemme said:
12 matches 2 goals 7 assists
Never his biggest fan but what the hell!!! The team is struggling so we release a brit!
There must be more too this surely? Hill isn't the cause of the problems on the ice, maybe a mild factor- as is everyone else.

If I had to make a list of players to gas (stupid, but go with me...) Hill wouldn't even be in the top 10.

Then again- if he commands double the budget of Ben Davies (I have no idea of actual budgets) then I guess he'd be overpaid and therefore have to go.

Hoping this is budget/doing something he shouldn't be/mutual decision kinda related rather than performance.

Excited for the new signing to be announced though (assuming there is one!)

DevilDom

I imagine Hill was the 3rd highest earning Brit on the team behind Myers and Richie. Has he been the 3rd best performing Brit on the team? Not by a longshot.

We don't yet know all the reasons behind him being gassed but if it means G can bench himself and bring in another import then I think most people would be happy. If its just a money saving exercise then maybe not. Time will tell, but G obviously felt something needed to be done and he has acted.