Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

ASHIPP

Great job, Cardiff Devils. Welcome back Layne and Family. A skilled, experienced, calming influence through the centre of our forwards. Great to see him back. Hopefully he can re-create that awesome chemistry with Joey Haddad and Patrick Asselin. :cool:

Have Hope#35

A little gutted if i'm honest, not with the signing, Louis is absolute quality & delighted he's back.

However this does mean we shape up as follows:

Richie - IMPORT
Louis-Fournier
Moore - IMPORT(?)

Unless i'm very stupid, Paris will be taking on that first line role - meaning A Hotham is not returning, which is devastating news.

Welcome back to the team Mark, more of the same this year please!!!
Looking like Moore is going to be playing as a Fourth line winger according to a recent article and his position as Forward on the Devils Website, could still be:

Richie - A.HOTHAM
Louis-Fournier
BATCH - Paris

Samael

Extremely happy to see Louis and Ulmer back in red white and green.
All we need now is word on Asselin and we are set. Anyone else signed is pure bonus.
Well done to Lord, Kelman and the rest of the management/ownership team for making these guys actually want to return and play in South Wales.

Foxy

Hmmm Whose Steve King trying to kid then lol cant give anymore clues as we havnt signed anyone else yet lol

Well done Andrew two fantastic re-signings.

We could still have the two Hothams back if Batch moves forward. He has played there before.

Ocko

Also, I think we should tread with caution in wanting Batch to play as a forward. He would do a great job forechecking but in the role that would be asked of him on the 4th line he would be required to play a completely different job to anything he's done before. Last time he was placed in that role was with Salters and Hervato in the play off semi against the Blaze. That line conceded 3 goals in a few minutes and didn't play another shift together.

He's a fine D man and stands his best chance of GB honours in that position. I personally think we're asking a bit much of him just because he's a big lad who is a good hitter when he wants to be.

Wannabe2

So we have 9 imports signed so far, with 5 to go is that correct, with a bit of luck, both Hotham's and Asselin will be back, leaving 2 to go. Unless we carry a spare if we have that luxury.

Ocko

So we have 9 imports signed so far, with 5 to go is that correct, with a bit of luck, both Hotham's and Asselin will be back, leaving 2 to go. Unless we carry a spare if we have that luxury.
You're right in how many we have left but if both Hothams come back that would mean we would be going with 5 import D and both Moore and Batch would be forwards. This would certainly be at the expense of tough guy, which I still think we'll sign.

I think lines are likely to be:
Benti-Martin-New import (a sniper)
Haddad-Ulmer-Assellin (We all know he's signed)
Lord-Myers-Faryna
Moore-Import-Import (morisette as centre/spare?)

So if we sign both Hothams we would have to have Batch as a forward which would mean we have to find a centre who is a tough guy and very defensively responsible. I just can't see it.

And what about Morisette? It seems unlikely to me that Lord wouldn't bring back his captain and best mate.

ASHIPP

Maybe they would carry Morisette as the spare? After his surgery and the amount of months out of the game, surely no guarantee he is going to be as fit or fast as he was. Perhaps he will be given an assistant coaching position/injury cover.......this happened to Benedict at Giants, Clarke at Panthers and someone at Steelers. And therefore, a new Captain required - a few candidates very worthy of that role this season.

Samael

Yeah I was hoping we would have it confirmed Asselin had signed today. I have nightmares of him being poached by Shuff. Fingers crossed we get the good news soon he's back and ready to make his mark in the CHL.

ASHIPP

We wanted signings....read the OS article on Calgary Summit! There are two signings announced 'live from Calgary' tomorrow - 8pm BST (1pm Calgary time). Who is it going to be?

Wannabe2

Yeah I was hoping we would have it confirmed Asselin had signed today. I have nightmares of him being poached by Shuff. Fingers crossed we get the good news soon he's back and ready to make his mark in the CHL.
Asselin would not go to Steelers, he wants to win the league again.lol

Samael

Long may these "Calgary summit" weekends continue!! Seems like they had a blast at last years one and look at the season that followed!!The owners are all professional businessmen and I bet they are professional drinkers too. I bet its carnage but in a really good way :)