Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2015/16

Ocko

Might we see Lord play as a centre? He's done it before for us. I know that would mean breaking up his line with Joey and Mo but to be honest you could put a monkey on that line and they'd still produce. He may also want a slightly more limited role because of his coaching too. Looking at the make up of Lord's team last year I'd be surprised if one new player wasn't a tough guy, tough centres are hard to find.

Lines could then be:

Haddad - Martin - Mo
Salters - New Centre - Doucet
Walton - Lord - new tough winger

SteveKing

Well I have to say...I'm impressed with the names that have been brought up here. Nobody has hit it yet but the thought process is bang on.

I've had a lot of Twitter messages and a lot of comments on this site about Brian McGrattan. It's no secret that I'm a huge Big Ern fan. We have reached out to Brian through some of his Flames teammates but it doesn't appear that there's a fit there. Not to say that it could never happen but Big Ern will not be with the Devils in the foreseeable future.

One of the other names that was brought up was Kyle Greentree. The only thing that I'm disappointed in with all of you is that nobody has noticed who Greentree's teammate was with the Victoria Salsa...none other than Devils owner Kelly Hughes! Now I wouldn't be pointing this out if we had signed Kyle Greentree but he's another guy that we would love on the team but the fit just wasn't quite right at the current time.

So there you go. Lots of new information to chew on in a far too long off season.

I've got TK and Lordo coming to Calgary in a couple of weeks for some Calgary Stampede fun and some strategy discussions so I'll try to post some more info (that won't get me in trouble!) around that time.

Why people think these names are going to come to Cardiff I don't know.
Of course I would love it. But there was only one reason biz came to Cardiff
and that was because he didn't have the nhl to play in.

mcgrattan is still up there with his game so we got no chance of him either.

Have Hope#35

icehockeymad said:

And he nearly came back because he almost didn't have an AHL team to play in... Who's to say he will next season!? I don't think people are mad to suggest some of these names, wages are the big prevention for most of them!

mazza03

SteveKing said:
Well I have to say...I'm impressed with the names that have been brought up here. Nobody has hit it yet but the thought process is bang on.

I've had a lot of Twitter messages and a lot of comments on this site about Brian McGrattan. It's no secret that I'm a huge Big Ern fan. We have reached out to Brian through some of his Flames teammates but it doesn't appear that there's a fit there. Not to say that it could never happen but Big Ern will not be with the Devils in the foreseeable future.

One of the other names that was brought up was Kyle Greentree. The only thing that I'm disappointed in with all of you is that nobody has noticed who Greentree's teammate was with the Victoria Salsa...none other than Devils owner Kelly Hughes! Now I wouldn't be pointing this out if we had signed Kyle Greentree but he's another guy that we would love on the team but the fit just wasn't quite right at the current time.

So there you go. Lots of new information to chew on in a far too long off season.

I've got TK and Lordo coming to Calgary in a couple of weeks for some Calgary Stampede fun and some strategy discussions so I'll try to post some more info (that won't get me in trouble!) around that time.
I just love reading your posts you give a little then.......leave it :D love it. :Banana :Banana :Banana

Re: Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2015/16

icehockeymad said:

McGrattans days are numbered in the show. Not the type of player teams want any more and doesn't really have anyone to fight. Won't see too much ice if his presence on the bench is all that's required to keep opponents honest.

Also not out of the realm of possibility that after years of breaking his hands on other people's heads he might actually fancy playing a bit of hockey.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Count me as one of the fans that really hopes Culli is back.

I think that with his skating and play making along with his pass first attitude that he could be a perfect fit between Salters and Doucet.

DevilDom

SteveKing said:

Ain't it bloody great to have an owner which (a) interacts so easily with the fans (b) probably knows more about hockey than most on here. Such a contrast to what we have known previously and I for one am confident that whoever signs for the Devils will be just fine.

DevilDom said:
SteveKing said:

Ain't it bloody great to have an owner which (a) interacts so easily with the fans (b) probably knows more about hockey than most on here. Such a contrast to what we have known previously and I for one am confident that whoever signs for the Devils will be just fine.
I echo that devilDom, like many on here, I have deen a Devil for a loooong time and never have I experienced an owner like you say knows his hockey. Who ever Lordo, Todd and Franny sign...we know were in good hands and they have our complete trust!

Thinking about D partnerships, correct me if I'm wrong but last years worked out like so
Marsh Hudson
Hotham Richardson
Hendo Batch
Assuming talks are successful and we resign our D unit, would there be a reason to change these partnerships or keep as is?
Could be wrong but this is how I remember them through majority of season.

Chris

Administrator
Not a bad signing, but I can't say i'm filled with happiness that we've made yet another re-signing whilst everyone else seems to be improving :|

I guess we might have a jump on the other teams at the start of the season. How many imports does that leave us to sign now? 3 with 1 EU passport holder?

Have Hope#35

Chris said:
Not a bad signing, but I can't say i'm filled with happiness that we've made yet another re-signing whilst everyone else seems to be improving :|

I guess we might have a jump on the other teams at the start of the season. How many imports does that leave us to sign now? 3 with 1 EU passport holder?
Yeah that's right (2 Forwards and 1 D'man)... I have a sneaky feeling that could be the last of the returnees! Think we'd have loved Hotham back but he may move on?

Finny

Hendrikx started the season superbly and was far better than I was expecting. The best hip checks we have seen in a long time and until Westgarth came in I would have said the toughest player in the league.

He never seemed to fully recover from his injury though and at the end of the season he was probably lowest on my re-sign list for Dmen.

However, as the off-season has gone on I've increasingly wanted to see his return. I secretly hoped we would see the return of Biz and I assumed he would be taking Trev's place. Once Biz was confirmed as staying in N. America though I felt re-signing Hendrikx became an even higher priority.

I often ask myself would I rather see a player play against us or stay. I'd hate to see Hendrikx playing against us and that's why I'm really pleased to see him back for another season.

jenks33

Finny said:
Hendrikx started the season superbly and was far better than I was expecting. The best hip checks we have seen in a long time and until Westgarth came in I would have said the toughest player in the league.

He never seemed to fully recover from his injury though and at the end of the season he was probably lowest on my re-sign list for Dmen.

However, as the off-season has gone on I've increasingly wanted to see his return. I secretly hoped we would see the return of Biz and I assumed he would be taking Trev's place. Once Biz was confirmed as staying in N. America though I felt re-signing Hendrikx became an even higher priority.

I often ask myself would I rather see a player play against us or stay. I'd hate to see Hendrikx playing against us and that's why I'm really pleased to see him back for another season.
I pretty much agree with this. The first 3/4 of last season i thought Hendrikx was excellent but i was disappointed with his end of season form. For me he needs to read situations better sometimes. He's here to be physical but he doesnt need to put in a monster hit everytime. At times towards the end of the season he looked to smash an opposition player when it wasnt necessary at all, and he ended up leaving 2 on 1's..But like Finny said, I would be gutted if he signed for a rival team in the EIHL

ASHIPP

Trevor is a fan favorite and an alernate captain. Popular with the players too. Think it's reassuring the team have that meanness at the back. He also plays a simple but effective game. Hopefully Trevor will stay fit and continue that formidable partnership with Josh.

Welcome home Hendo

I like Hendrikx, and agree with what has been posted above - he started the season so well and became a fan favourite - however he tailed right off at the end of the season. I hope that the Hendrikx we get is the one that started last season.

That leaves 1 more D man to find. Two things here - if we do get Hotham back, then that is our best D man returning - but this gives us the exact same D as last year, and I would have liked to have seen it improve slightly.
If we don't get Hotham back then that is a huge whole to replace - he was 2nd on my list of players I wanted to return and he was so the stand out D man in the whole league.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I want Hotham back, and the improvement I would have made would have been an upgrade of Hendrikx - some may think that is harsh but when Tyson re-signed I felt it was going to be Hendrikx that we needed to improve on.

Welcome back to Cardiff though Trev - I will still love seeing you play your physical game and getting the fans off their feet.

It will be very interesting now to see who get's the final D slot...