Cardiff City lose - good news for the Devils?

haha no problemo :D we are agreed then. I think as long as any fan gets to as many games as they can afford to get too then that's fair enough.
I can kind of see the "band wagon" argument but on the other side of it if you see your home town team is doing well then i don't think you should be made to feel too bad for wanting to support them in that. If the Devils became the number one team in the league and the crowds started to increase i wouldn't be complaining about new fans that had just come in because the team were doing well.

A

Anonymous

Of course your right, and you all make valid points. Ger-Devils and myself are referring to one type of fan alone. Not the fan who can only afford to go to 20% of games but the fan who, and lets use Cardiff City as an example, has never been to a single game and has no interest in doing so. But then attends the wembley final just to say "I was there", and never goes to another game again. The same fan who goes into work the next morning and his only constructive comment is "they were crap, I'd rather watch Man Utd on match of the day". This is the sort of fan we refer to, as Ger-Devils explains well, probably much better than I do, in his original post.

Anyways ..............

Koop11

I’m sorry but I find it absolutely pathetic when fans of a sporting team get all high moral about their exclusive club. So what if there were plastic fans at the game. City’s average attendance this year has been 18K/19K (Finny, help me out). I understand approximately 14k of those were ST holders. Wembley would have been over half empty if it were only the regulars attending.

Had City won on Saturday it would have been amazing for the club, the city as a whole and yes I believe for the Devils also. Success brings in support. Call it fickle but that’s how it is. It’s the same at the Devils. Good marketing is of course essential but nothing brings the crowds in any sport like a successful team. Those new fans help sustain success. It’s how a club grows.

I was fortunate enough to go to the game on Saturday. I paid for my ticket the final therefore I had a right to be there. The FA put the tickets on sale, not any ‘die hard’ City fans. ST holders had first priority, and rightly so, and then eventually they were put out on general sale to fans on the City database. Those who committed more the club than others should be entitled to first dibs. I would expect ST holders to be rewarded in this regard at the Devils, Blues, Glamorgan and any other local team. However, once the opportunity to those is taken then tickets should be available to anyone else.

I myself have only gone down to the City once this season. I’m not a ST holder and never have been (never had the funds to have both a Devils ST and a City ST). If I could I would but simply can’t. So, I am a plastic fan? I follow the club’s results every week, watch them on TV whenever they are on and support them as a Cardiff boy. Even if I didn’t follow them but had a ticket, is that a problem? My money has helped contribute to the club. Would some City fans rather not have that money for their team?

It pains me to say but when it comes to local teams being precious about their club, a lot of City fans are the worse by a country mile. Fans of Cardiff teams, and any area for that matter, should be welcoming new faces in any event that will support their club. If someone had a ticket the Devils playoff finals but had never been to the Devils I would be very thankful for their support and would hope based on their experience would invest again into it.

Gutted about the result on Saturday but Blackpool on the day were the better team. This is a shame for City and Cardiff as a whole, including the Devils.

Rempel16

TheDevilTorn said:
Of course your right, and you all make valid points. Ger-Devils and myself are referring to one type of fan alone. Not the fan who can only afford to go to 20% of games but the fan who, and lets use Cardiff City as an example, has never been to a single game and has no interest in doing so. But then attends the wembley final just to say "I was there", and never goes to another game again. The same fan who goes into work the next morning and his only constructive comment is "they were crap, I'd rather watch Man Utd on match of the day". This is the sort of fan we refer to, as Ger-Devils explains well, probably much better than I do, in his original post.

Anyways ..............
But just like you have your opinion on the subject and expecting that opinion to be accepted, you are also berating the 'fan' you speak of by having a go at their opinion of how the team played.

I don't think anybody is in a position to call anybody else a 'true fan' or not. It's not a competition on who has been to more games to make a claim as to who is the 'truer' fan.

Taking your argument down the Devils route for a moment, we consistently get higher attendances for Nottingham, Sheffield and Coventry games. However, some people choose not spend their money on Hull and Edinburgh games. Does that make these people any less of a fan? Not at all in my eyes, who am I to question personal circumstances.

I don't want my club to become 'elitist' in that way.

steve

I don't like football, thats not going to change.

Had City got into the premiership i certainly would have gone to a few games to support the team on the big stage and do my bit to keep them up there. I probably wouldn't have known the players names, and wouldnt have known the all the songs.

Thankfully i wont have to worry about it now, i hadn't realised how unwelcome i would have been.

Pathetic. :shock:

Finny

Koop11 said:
I’m sorry but I find it absolutely pathetic when fans of a sporting team get all high moral about their exclusive club. So what if there were plastic fans at the game. City’s average attendance this year has been 18K/19K (Finny, help me out). I understand approximately 14k of those were ST holders.
I think the average this season was nearly 21,000, which is absolutely fantastic when only 2 seasons ago we were only averaging around 12,000. The vast majority of those are probably people who only got a season ticket so they could go to the FA Cup games, but have slowly become hooked and kept their season ticket seats. I think the number of season ticket holders is around 15,000?

Finny

Gingers Husband said:
What you're saying there then Finny is roughly 3,000 "probably plastic" fans have now become season ticket holders. Is that not how it should work?
Yes. That's the point I was trying to make at least.
It is annoying when you get someone next to you at a game or in the pub telling you their views on the team when they clearly haven't seen more than 2 games all season. And it's annoying when these same fans somehow get tickets for games like Chelsea away when season ticket holders miss out.

However, there was never really any problem for people getting tickets for the Final. I don't know of anyone who wanted to go who couldn't get a ticket. You hope that after the big games you do get more and more occasional fans becoming season ticket holders - though I doubt it after Saturdays performance.

Cardiff City needs more fans, and all current fans need to remember it. I get annoyed when I overhear some big game charlie giving his ill informed views to anyone in shouting distance, but I also get annoyed when I hear current fans acting like they are more important than everyone because they went to Rochdale back in 1983 - and everyone else isn't a real fan.

TheDevilTorn said:
It also costs me over £100 a game because of travelling etc, otherwise I's be there every week, believe you me!
I know this is way off topic now but please humour me, how does it cost you over £100 to travel back and forth to Hereford along with tickets and the odd hotdog?

A

Anonymous

phil PLT said:
TheDevilTorn said:
It also costs me over £100 a game because of travelling etc, otherwise I's be there every week, believe you me!
I know this is way off topic now but please humour me, how does it cost you over £100 to travel back and forth to Hereford along with tickets and the odd hotdog?
You calling me a liar? As your so intrigued to know, 2 return train tickets to cardiff, £52, 2 match tickets £26, 1 night at the travelodge £19, food and drink, taxi from the bay to the sports village £6/£7. Add it up yourself.

Back on the subject of the plastic fans, Ger-Devils made the original post, no one comments, I agree and get lynched? Favoritism?

Chris

Administrator
You calling me a liar? As your so intrigued to know, 2 return train tickets to cardiff, £52, 2 match tickets £26, 1 night at the travelodge £19, food and drink, taxi from the bay to the sports village £6/£7. Add it up yourself.

Back on the subject of the plastic fans, Ger-Devils made the original post, no one comments, I agree and get lynched? Favoritism?
As Phil PLT hasn't actually edited his post, I think reading it clearly shows that he hasn't called you a liar...

Going by that reasoning, I assume almost every other topic ever posted on here is some sort of favoritism as every post doesn't relate to the opening post... DevilDom extended the discussion by replying to Ger-Devils original post, but you were the one to say...
I don't think clubs need the "I was there" fans at all. Its the die hards that keep clubs going, supporting them through thick and thin. To me you either support a team or you don't. Cant have it both ways. If all those who went to wembley turned up week in week out, the club wouldn't be 15m in debt.

How many people would of travelled to Plymouth on the last day of the season if City had to win to stay up? Dads who take their kids to the bigger games is cool, and great to see but I personally have no time for the "bandwagon" fans.
That's what the discussion seems to have turned out to be about. Not long ago people didn't reply to a thread of yours straight away and you didn't like that, now people are continuing a discussion with you, and it's favoritism because they're not replying to the original post way back on page #2?

I really can't see the problem with the thread to be honest :?

Chris.

A

Anonymous

Chris said:

As Phil PLT hasn't actually edited his post, I think reading it clearly shows that he hasn't called you a liar...

Going by that reasoning, I assume almost every other topic ever posted on here is some sort of favoritism as every post doesn't relate to the opening post... DevilDom extended the discussion by replying to Ger-Devils original post, but you were the one to say...
I don't think clubs need the "I was there" fans at all. Its the die hards that keep clubs going, supporting them through thick and thin. To me you either support a team or you don't. Cant have it both ways. If all those who went to wembley turned up week in week out, the club wouldn't be 15m in debt.

How many people would of travelled to Plymouth on the last day of the season if City had to win to stay up? Dads who take their kids to the bigger games is cool, and great to see but I personally have no time for the "bandwagon" fans.
That's what the discussion seems to have turned out to be about. Not long ago people didn't reply to a thread of yours straight away and you didn't like that, now people are continuing a discussion with you, and it's favoritism because they're not replying to the original post way back on page #2?

I really can't see the problem with the thread to be honest :?

Chris.
I didn't think you would. Phil put \"please humour me how it costs you £100" bit rude I'd say ! Perhaps I worded that post you mention a bit wrong. I just dont like people who go to big games for "the day out" as Ger said. I agree with him, if you guys don't thats cool. It would be boring if we all agreed. Why you have to mention posts from months ago Chris beats me, :? still its your site and you can do as you please, I know.

Chris

Administrator
I didn't think you would. Phil put \"please humour me how it costs you £100" bit rude I'd say ! Perhaps I worded that post you mention a bit wrong. I just dont like people who go to big games for "the day out" as Ger said. I agree with him, if you guys don't thats cool. It would be boring if we all agreed. Why you have to mention posts from months ago Chris beats me, :? still its your site and you can do as you please, I know.
If it's cool, why the post above saying you "agree and get lynched" - I don't understand the sudden change from the topic running smoothly to that comment, you're not the only person on this thread who's posts haven't been agreed with...

I mention the post because I have absolutely no idea how to deal with this thread if it goes off topic and we end up discussing your post either through the public forums, or via pm. Surely you'd rather people reply to your thread in a constructive way, as has been happening so far than not at all?

Fact is the site isn't mine, James has put all the real hard work in and he has a bigger share than me, I just try and keep the forums running smoothly with 2 of the other mods being next to useless and rarely on the boards. Hell I haven't even done any moderating this time and it appears i've done something wrong again, *sigh*

Chris.

A

Anonymous

I wondered why Ger-devils started the "plastic fans" comment, no one comments, I agree and get an influx of disagreeing comments, how does he get away with it? :lol:

Anyway, your all right I'm wrong, I surrender. I'm off to buy an Inter Milan shirt .........

TheDevilTorn, I only asked you the question because I used to live in Hereford many moons ago. I assumed you could drive.......wrong there so I apologise and you have more than adequately replied. Anyway back to the apple juice, this weather makes you thirsty :lol:

Chris

Administrator
Because Ger-Devils didn't say
I don't think clubs need the "I was there" fans at all. Its the die hards that keep clubs going, supporting them through thick and thin. To me you either support a team or you don't. Cant have it both ways.
Others, including myself disagreed with that, and other comments...

If you can't accept, or see why others have disagreed, or even agreed with you then maybe forums aren't for you.

Chris :|

A

Anonymous

No probs, cheers! I just took offence at the way you asked while I was being pelted with disagreeing posters! No harm done. ;)
Chris, yeah maybe.