Cardiff City lose - good news for the Devils?

Thread starter #1
Is this good or bad news for the Devils. From a personal perspective, if Cardiff City had been promoted then I would have found myself going to fewer Devils games and more City games. What about the rest of you?

There would have been about 10,000 fans getting the cost of season tickets back, that surely would have been good for the Devils.

People that pick and choose devils game will always find an excuse regardless of what league the City are in.

Ger-Devils

DO ME A FAVOUR DO 1!

It would have been great if the city got to the premiership, alot more income into the city, more attention on the place and sport itself!

Win, lose or draw = I'll be there! Glad it's back to our midweek trips to Barnsley with 500 and no plastics like today! We had about 10k people who couldn't give a **** about Cardiff City and they were only there for the "day out" and rubbing their hands for the premiership next season! Same as Blackpool - 30k new fans? Where from?!

Sorry I'm just ****** off with all the ***** asking me for tickets for prem games just because I'm a season ticket holder at the city etc then on our way back from Wembley, texts off them all taking the ****!!

I'm a season ticket holder at both Devils and city as many of my mates are.

Oh and it was nice to have a chat with Phil Hill on the way into the ground today - He's looking forward to the new season and can't wait to get going again!

A

Anonymous

Ger-Devils said:
DO ME A FAVOUR DO 1!

It would have been great if the city got to the premiership, alot more income into the city, more attention on the place and sport itself!

Win, lose or draw = I'll be there! Glad it's back to our midweek trips to Barnsley with 500 and no plastics like today! We had about 10k people who couldn't give a **** about Cardiff City and they were only there for the "day out" and rubbing their hands for the premiership next season! Same as Blackpool - 30k new fans? Where from?!

Sorry I'm just ****** off with all the ***** asking me for tickets for prem games just because I'm a season ticket holder at the city etc then on our way back from Wembley, texts off them all taking the ****!!

Oh and it was nice to have a chat with Phil Hill on the way into the ground today - He's looking forward to the new season and can't wait to get going again!
Unfortunately you will always get the glory hunters and they boil my piss too. In my younger days as a Hereford UTD fan :oops: We played Man utd in the F.A cup and there was like 12, 13k fans there. The next home game is was back to 2.5k :roll: And before anyone takes the piss we did win the welsh cup in 1990 I think beating CCFC in the Semi's ! ;)

Cardiff gave it a real go today, just be proud and look forward to next season. Todays experience will help, you'll see. Cardiff losing a final by 1 goal. Ring any bells? :roll:

Ger-Devils

TheDevilTorn said:
Ger-Devils said:
DO ME A FAVOUR DO 1!

Sorry I'm just ****** off with all the twats asking me for tickets for prem games just because I'm a season ticket holder at the city etc then on our way back from Wembley, texts off them all taking the ****!!

Unfortunately you will always get the glory hunters and they boil my **** too. In my younger days as a Hereford UTD fan :oops: We played Man utd in the F.A cup and there was like 12, 13k fans there. The next home game is was back to 2.5k :roll: And before anyone takes the **** we did win the welsh cup in 1990 I think beating CCFC in the Semi's ! ;)

Cardiff gave it a real go today, just be proud and look forward to next season. Todays experience will help, you'll see. Cardiff losing a final by 1 goal. Ring any bells? :roll:
I'm used to it now mate, been a great season for us really! After last years mess up to the final is a big achievement! Haha a few years ago then! Last time we played Hereford - 2-1 fa cup? :D

A

Anonymous

Ive been to some belters over the years, used to love going to Ninian Park. Dont follow Hereford anymore though for various reasons. That year we won the Welsh cup we beat Cardiff away 3-0, then lost the home tie 3-1, two awesome games. To think how far the Bluebirds have come since then. Fair do's !! :p

Thread starter #9
TheDevilTorn said:
To think how far the Bluebirds have come since then. Fair do's !! :p
Exactly, Cardiff have come a long way in the last 10 years. I remember only a few years ago when I'd go down for a mid-week home game when they were in the old Division 3 and having only around 3,000 people watch them (those are the true fans, not the ones who have jumped on the bandwagon when they got into the Championship). People need to remember/realise that Cardiff do not have a God given right to be in the Premiership - they should be thankful that they are even in a position to be challenging to go up (especially considering all the debt problems they've had recently).

In repsonse to my own question I think that ultimately, if only in the short term, today's result is good for the Devils. People only have so many 'entertainment dollars' which can only go so far. Let's be sensible here, if Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs or Villa were in town how many people would seriously rather go and watch the Devils. I'd wager not many.

Not everyone likes football El - Infact many people find it pretty dull and boring.

I personally think the outcome of todays game would've made much difference to the Devils except for certain big games which clashed. If Cardiff had made the Premiership then i'd imagine ticket prices would be pretty steep thus pricing many people out of going to the City games so they may turn to Devils games instead? (i have no idea what the ticket prices are at the moment... Just presuming this would be the case)

Shame Cardiff didnt win as has already been said, would've been great for the City in general.

A

Anonymous

I think El Supremo has a point to be fair. You'll bound to get some fans giving up Devils games to go watch the likes of the previously mentioned. I doubt it would be many, but you would get some.

Not everyone likes football, that is true, but I doubt EVERY Devils fan is mad on ice hockey. I'm sure there's a percentage of fans that go as proud Welsh and to support the local team, or perhaps for another reason other than having a passion for the sport itself. In answer to the Q, it probably is good for the Devils but I don't think it would of made too much difference IMO.

DevilDom

To Ger Devils - I was one of those "plastic fans" at Wembly yesterday and a great day out it was to! The difference is I took my 8 year old son who is currently a bit undecided on who to support (football wise) Cardiff or Man Utd. Days like that will (hopefully IMO) swing his view towards Cardiff. I'm just not really a football fan anymore - too many prima dona's on sickening amounts of money.

ANYWAY, back to the question I agree with El in that in the short term the City losing out will be good for the Devils. As has been said, people only have a limited pot of disposable income and given a choice (money wise) between Devils v Hull or City v most premiership teams I think some people would obviously choose the city. Simple economics.

Ger-Devils

DevilDom said:
To Ger Devils - I was one of those "plastic fans" at Wembly yesterday and a great day out it was to! The difference is I took my 8 year old son who is currently a bit undecided on who to support (football wise) Cardiff or Man Utd. Days like that will (hopefully IMO) swing his view towards Cardiff. I'm just not really a football fan anymore - too many prima dona's on sickening amounts of money.

ANYWAY, back to the question I agree with El in that in the short term the City losing out will be good for the Devils. As has been said, people only have a limited pot of disposable income and given a choice (money wise) between Devils v Hull or City v most premiership teams I think some people would obviously choose the city. Simple economics.
Not sure if you have read on other threads but over 10k Cardiff city season ticket holders were to get their money back if we went up - Average £400 per person so that would be extra cash they could go to games.

I've actually been trying to push between both clubs to strike a deal up and offer a discount to either fans to go to the other teams game. Between my group of mates who watch the city, I could say a good 20+ of us go straight from there to devils and were paying match night price for most of the year- We've now signed up for season tickets as it works out cheaper for us.

The amount of money that would come into the city would be massive - local firms - bigger firms would want to sponsor clubs no doubt.

Finny

DevilDom said:
That to me is key for Cardiff to become a big team over the next 20-30 years. The terrible 70's, 80's and early 90's has meant we have lost almost an entire generation of football fans to other teams (Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs etc). Those people in their late 20s to early 40s are never going to change their allegiances just because the City are suddenly in the Premiership.
Their kids might well though. Walking around afterwards I got the feeling that a lot of the fathers were annoyed, whilst their kids were upset. Hopefully though the pain won't make the kids take the easy option out and go back to being plastic watching it on TV and then wondering why a Cardiff City player can't hit a 50 yard perfect pass everytime. Because Gerrard does it on the Match of the Day highlights every week.

With regards to whether it was good the Devils - I doubt it. Season ticket holders would (or might) have had their money back - but I reckon most of that would then have been used up going to away games.
Ticket prices would have gone up and that might have seen the Devils become a more attractive option to families. And the same with companies looking to sponsor a team.

However, had the City got promoted it would have give the City and the sporting name 'Cardiff' a massive boost and I think the Devils would have beneffited from that.

DevilDom

Ger-Devils said:
DevilDom said:

Not sure if you have read on other threads but over 10k Cardiff city season ticket holders were to get their money back if we went up - Average £400 per person so that would be extra cash they could go to games.

I've actually been trying to push between both clubs to strike a deal up and offer a discount to either fans to go to the other teams game. Between my group of mates who watch the city, I could say a good 20+ of us go straight from there to devils and were paying match night price for most of the year- We've now signed up for season tickets as it works out cheaper for us.

The amount of money that would come into the city would be massive - local firms - bigger firms would want to sponsor clubs no doubt.
Yeah, i've read the other threads and I here what your saying, but the difference between the Devils getting good crowds and very good crowds is not down to those people who would or maybe would buy a season ticket - its the casual fans who look for something to do on a Saturday or Sunday during the winter.

I agree the amount of money coming into the City would (eventually) be good for all including the Devils, however in the short term City being in the premiership isn't going to mean that people suddenly start getting paid more and thus have more disposable income. It would also have meant that is a bigger attraction watching the City over the Devils. Just my opinion though and I guess in the short-term we won't know what the impact would have been.

Ger-Devils

DevilDom said:
Ger-Devils said:
DevilDom said:

Yeah, i've read the other threads and I here what your saying, but the difference between the Devils getting good crowds and very good crowds is not down to those people who would or maybe would buy a season ticket - its the casual fans who look for something to do on a Saturday or Sunday during the winter.

I agree the amount of money coming into the City would (eventually) be good for all including the Devils, however in the short term City being in the premiership isn't going to mean that people suddenly start getting paid more and thus have more disposable income. It would also have meant that is a bigger attraction watching the City over the Devils. Just my opinion though and I guess in the short-term we won't know what the impact would have been.
Not sure if you've seen this in bold? Will keep trying to push it. With Ridsdale gone, I'm sure the club will want to connect with other teams/sports

A

Anonymous

I don't think clubs need the "I was there" fans at all. Its the die hards that keep clubs going, supporting them through thick and thin. To me you either support a team or you don't. Cant have it both ways. If all those who went to wembley turned up week in week out, the club wouldn't be 15m in debt.

How many people would of travelled to Plymouth on the last day of the season if City had to win to stay up? Dads who take their kids to the bigger games is cool, and great to see but I personally have no time for the "bandwagon" fans.

Finny

There are two sides to the bangwagon supporters, or "Plastics" as we like to call them.

The downside is that they do only go to the big games, they don't know the songs and they don't know all the players names. The atmosphere often suffers and because they are used to watching premiership highlights - they expect it to be that quality. And whilst they don't like to cheer the team on, they are quick enough to jeer or shout abuse at them.

Last season we had these 3 lads behind us who I've never seen before. We were playing a poor-ish team and we were 1-0 up. Totally outplaying the opposition but couldn't score the 2nd, 3rd etc goals that our play deserved.

Only 30 minutes into the game and one of the lads had started shouting abuse, calling all the players rubbish. And we were winning.
At half time he was complaining to his mates how bad it was, how he could have been watching Liverpool on TV in the champions league instead - and how it was a good job he'd been given the tickets for free else he would have demanded his money back. I decided it best to walk away for 5 minutes else I would have turned around and knocked him out.

However, the fact is that for Cardiff to fulfil their potential - we need to convert as many as them as possible. We might with the adults but we have a great chance with the kids. 2 years ago my friend's husband was offered two tickets for the FA Cup final - despite never having been to a City game as they were Arsenal 'fans'.
He went and took his 10 year old son with him. They loved it (despite the result) and went a couple of times the season after. By Christmas the son in particular had become hooked, his Arsenal duvet was gone and they bought a season ticket for this season.

We might get 10,000+ plastics coming to the big games and most will leave unaffected. But if we could get just a couple of hundred of them hooked each time, our average attendances will continue to grow and we will be able to sustain a top Championship team. Maybe even Premiership.

DevilDom

TheDevilTorn said:
I don't think clubs need the "I was there" fans at all. Its the die hards that keep clubs going, supporting them through thick and thin. To me you either support a team or you don't. Cant have it both ways. If all those who went to wembley turned up week in week out, the club wouldn't be 15m in debt.

How many people would of travelled to Plymouth on the last day of the season if City had to win to stay up? Dads who take their kids to the bigger games is cool, and great to see but I personally have no time for the "bandwagon" fans.
Sorry I think your talking rubbish. Based on this there would only have been 20,000 City and 8,000 or so Blackpool fans at Wembly. Would that have suited you? 28,000 rattling around in a 90,000 capacity stadium? I'm not sure that would have been good for either team. 40,000 City fans with maybe half casual fans is much better. Oh and don't tell me I stopped someone more deserving getting a ticket because there were plenty of seats empty and I didn't get my ticket until Thursday.

Do you go to every Devils game? If you don't does that make you less of a supporter? I think not. I choose to get my sport fix and spend my disposable income watching the devils nearly every week and not City. You need a mix of fans to be succesful and the Devils need casual fans as much as anyone. These are the people that bump the attendance up from 1400 average to 2000 for a big or interesting games and give the club that extra "un-budgeted" income which is so essential.

DevilDom

Finny said:
We might get 10,000+ plastics coming to the big games and most will leave unaffected. But if we could get just a couple of hundred of them hooked each time, our average attendances will continue to grow and we will be able to sustain a top Championship team. Maybe even Premiership.
This is a very good point.

I would add in response to the other points you raised - no i don't know all the songs but i did join in with the ones I do know and no I didn't start abusing or criticising City players when they went behind or made a mistake - I just enjoyed the game and the atmosphere and my son did as well (despite the result). I was very impressed with the standard of play and thought it far more exciting than most premiership games I watch. Even today my son has thanked me a number of times for taking him. Maybe just maybe he will be one of those few hundred who become a regular in the future.