Bruins v Elite League Select

ASHIPP

Thread starter #1
Sky Sports have picked what they think should be the squad selection against the Bruins from players in this season's Elite League. (sorry - can't get the link up)

Most of the choices are obvious - coming from Giants, Blaze and Panthers. Kenton Smith, quite rightly, is chosen from the Devils. :cool:

......So is Brad Voth, and Sean McMorrow from Dundee. :?

No disrespect meant to these 2 players,I got the impression that the game, albeit a pre-season warmup for the Bruins, was to showcase the current BEST players from the league to give the Bruins as fast and flowing a game as possible? One or two teams have no players represented.

I am hoping that as well as Kenton representing the Devils, that when it comes to the selection, the coaches would pick either Scott Matzka (because of experience) or young Jon Pelle or Tylor because of speed and tenacity! :cool:

Maybe they picked Voth and McSorrow to try and force them to become mates :? :lol:

I dunno... Whilst McSorrow has his reputation for just being a big old fighter, from what I gather and looking at stats, he is capable of actually being a good, fair player. It's just that he is usually chosen as the "enforcer" and seemingly feels the need to step up to his "hard man" reputation?

Same with Voth. He is extremely capable, but because he has the reputation, when he's on the ice, he has to step up to it.

Hopefully with the signing of the other "toughie" for the Devils (sorry, name has totally escaped me.... Sawyer is it?) Voth will be given an opportunity to show himself as a player and not get called for the silly things.

Aren't the Bruins quite a gritty team themselves? Perhaps they have just tried to reflect the nature of the Bruins players in the Elite League players?

Clare said:
I dunno... Whilst McSorrow has his reputation for just being a big old fighter, from what I gather and looking at stats, he is capable of actually being a good, fair player. It's just that he is usually chosen as the "enforcer" and seemingly feels the need to step up to his "hard man" reputation?
And before anyone says "What! He's not a good player! He's just a fighter!" I dont mean that he is anything near a point per game guy, because he's definitely not. I'm just saying he appears to be capable of playing fairly. He just doesnt because thats not what he is paid for :lol:

ASHIPP

Thread starter #5
It's going to be really interesting to see which players are selected. Expect majority of Giants to be putting in an appearance against the Bruins (only fair simply because individually a lot of them have higher level experience, and it is a game in Belfast, after all!) - the coaches will no doubt pick the remainder who are most suitable in terms of speed and grit. Perhaps Sky thought Brad and Sean would provide the 'toughness' element in the squad if selected although it looks like there are other guys on teams who could play AND fulfill that role. May be it's because they are already 2 of the biggest names in the UK game? Wouldn't have thought fighting was on the agenda.......but you never know!

voth26

Didnt mcmorrow play a game in the big show, also both players were drafted if my memory serves me right voth with the blue jackets i think cant remember mcmorrows team, at the end of the day they are two big guys who can have have an impact on a game but for different reasons. If i'm honest i think that applies more to brad as most people in general think he's a better alround player/skater points contribution and enforcer not nessecary the tougher of the two, where as mcmorrow generally tends to be for fighting only.
from a devils point of view has to be good for the club if players are selected and/or mentioned seems people are quick to dismiss certain devils players as unsuitable, wasnt so long ago voth was captain of a league select team selected by another teams coach :roll: :roll:

Personally i would rather have none of our players involved in this game. If the Bruins play with a full squad their sheer strength and speed could easily lead to injuries. I know everyone will want us to be represented in this game but the Bruins will be playing very seriously as they will be playing their first regular season game shortly after this game. The difference in standards are huge and does concern me.

TheStub

voth26 said:
Didnt mcmorrow play a game in the big show, also both players were drafted if my memory serves me right voth with the blue jackets i think cant remember mcmorrows team, at the end of the day they are two big guys who can have have an impact on a game but for different reasons.
McMorrow was drafted by Buffalo, and played a game.

DevilDom

I hope none of our guys play, but if they do and based on early season form you would think Pelle has a good chance. Matzka should be hitting full pace by then and I wouldn't discount the likes of Sawyer and Michel.

Kenton Smith has a good reputation but i'll reserve judgement on him until I see him play some more.

I doubt Voth will feature due to his injury as he will probably not be back playing by then and if he is he won't be match fit.

DevilDom said:
I hope none of our guys play, but if they do and based on early season form you would think Pelle has a good chance. Matzka should be hitting full pace by then and I wouldn't discount the likes of Sawyer and Michel.

Kenton Smith has a good reputation but i'll reserve judgement on him until I see him play some more.

I doubt Voth will feature due to his injury as he will probably not be back playing by then and if he is he won't be match fit.
i would agree with you, but im hoping that lyle get picked, maybe it may be a way of sparking his confindace again

osh

devils2001uk said:
DevilDom said:

i would agree with you, but im hoping that lyle get picked, maybe it may be a way of sparking his confindace again
Can't see Lyle being picked, don't think they'll go with 2 Brit netminders.

ASHIPP

Thread starter #16
Would have thought they will pick Mustakovs,Kowalski or Jaeger as the other netminder. :?

One the one hand, it would be a fantastic opportunity for another of the Devils to be picked for this special game. But as the Bruins are probably going to treat this seriously, wouldn't want the possibility of additional injuries to our guys! :)

TheStub

It would be nice to see two British netminders, both of whom were in the top three in the league last season.

Lets be honest, we are going to lose. Our best imports weren't good enough to make it at NHL level. Hopefully, and with that in mind, they will use this as a bit of a chance to show NHL guys what the British system is developing.

osh

ASHIPP said:
Would have thought they will pick Mustakovs,Kowalski or Jaeger as the other netminder. :?

One the one hand, it would be a fantastic opportunity for another of the Devils to be picked for this special game. But as the Bruins are probably going to treat this seriously, wouldn't want the possibility of additional injuries to our guys! :)
Agree with you regarding injuries etc. Its Belfasts show, aided by the best of the rest. Now, bearing in mind that The Giants will have about 8 players in a squad of 22 ( 4 lines and 2 netminders) that leaves 14 places up for grabs between 9 teams, we are at the moment represented by Matzka ( selected more on past than present ability). Quite honestly, based on what I've seen so far I don't think we have any other 'stand out' players who would make the so called ' best of the rest' positions. The only one who comes near to being included would be Sawyer. Don't forget, the EIHL side will want to show they can also stick up for their team mates and Sawyer would be a good pick ( even on a 4th line) The Bruins will no doubt be much slicker, quicker and better than an EIHL side, but not necessarily much tougher! Sawyer could do a job imo.

osh

TheStub said:
It would be nice to see two British netminders, both of whom were in the top three in the league last season.

Lets be honest, we are going to lose. Our best imports weren't good enough to make it at NHL level. Hopefully, and with that in mind, they will use this as a bit of a chance to show NHL guys what the British system is developing.

Agree that we will lose, disagree that it would be good to see 2 British netminders. You should pick the best, Murphy is doing fine ( and he's a Giant) and on results so far, there are better netminders on form that Stevie. Based on what you have said, it could be interpreted that we should just pick our best Brits to show how they are developing which isn't that great really is it. Whilst our best imports didn't sustain any long term NHL careers, they still offer a better chance of competing against a top NHL team than our inexperienced Brits do. I don't want to pay £45 to see the Bruins running riot against a mainly Brit side or destroying the confidence of our two top netminders.

ASHIPP

Thread starter #20
Another 4 selected for the Bruins game.....

DAB, Domish, Globke and Prudden.

Looks like a Giants team supplemented by Panthers and Steelers!

Last forward, defenceman and other goalie to be announced soon.