Breaking News: Devils sign new player

James

Administrator
True, and I doubt we'll find out, but a team will usually say 'asked to be released' if it was the players decision. You can read it either way if you choose but the inference to me is clearly it was a club decision.

august04 2.0

True, and I doubt we'll find out, but a team will usually say 'asked to be released' if it was the players decision. You can read it either way if you choose but the inference to me is clearly it was a club decision.
I don’t think you can infer anything from the Devils statement, it was so brief!

august04 2.0

no. I was inferring from Todds tweet commented :D
And all that inferred was that he was released for hockey reasons! Again, it's bound to be the case that the Devils released him, as they hold his contract and registration. It’s not clear at all from Kelman's tweet or any other statement who instigated it though! Given our reluctance to ‘gas’ players in the previous 5 years, I’d be surprised if it was our decision. Anyway, it’s history now but I don’t think it’s particularly relevant to the DuPont situation, as was inferred in the original post.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

I guess we will never know why Dupont under performed. He ended up 0.56 points per game across League and CC which is OK but I doubt it was what was expected when the club signed him. I always felt it was either fitness or injury. To me he always looked he could not wait to end his shift which suggested fitness. I actually thought he played better in recent games so it surprises me that he has a recent injury.
Whatever it was doesn't matter now as the club has acted on it and brought a new centre in. Onwards and upwards.

E.D.S.

The thing with Brust is that he has always carried extra timber (he reminds me of Mike Torchia in that respect....less so as a NM) so it would be less of a worry than a skater. As for a full medical assessment, I suspect that is highly unlikely, hence multiple players coming over not quite at their fighting weight
Brust would surely have had an angiogram or a cholesterol test!!

jenks33

Just saw the interview with Coughler on Devils twitter. Good to hear that’s he’s a shoot first player, I think we’ve missed another sniper to take the pressure off Reid. I’m not expecting too much from him straight away as he hasn’t played for 11 weeks but hopefully he settles quickly. I know others have said they’d like to see him with Cox and Sanford but Reid-Coughler-Crandall looks like it could be a great line at this level.

moggy#9

Just saw the interview with Coughler on Devils twitter. Good to hear that’s he’s a shoot first player, I think we’ve missed another sniper to take the pressure off Reid. I’m not expecting too much from him straight away as he hasn’t played for 11 weeks but hopefully he settles quickly. I know others have said they’d like to see him with Cox and Sanford but Reid-Coughler-Crandall looks like it could be a great line at this level.
Interesting also that he knows Joey Martin, so hopefully understands what the club is about. Also it's positive to hear the genuine excitement in his voice about begging a devil. Given what he's been through, I hope that he and the club are a good fit.

BostonBart22

Not looking good for devils fans, is it, I work in supermarket the number of people with no masks is crazy, staff not allowed to enforce it, only suggest it..Drakeford saying its law then get enforcment officers on the door, buses the same, even drivers dont where them..

Rhyan48

Carnt see him letting any fans back in maby even before march by the looks as what he is saying on there ! Getting beyond a joke now , does he want to pay for everything the club is going to miss out on what us fans are going to miss out on ! Not just in ice hockey but rugby football and so on ! I can see a lot of things not coming back from this again !

BostonBart22

Carnt see him letting any fans back in maby even before march by the looks as what he is saying on there ! Getting beyond a joke now , does he want to pay for everything the club is going to miss out on what us fans are going to miss out on ! Not just in ice hockey but rugby football and so on ! I can see a lot of things not coming back from this again !
If the season ends with no fans returning will the welsh goverment compensate fans , after all no problem in england ...

Jonesy83

If fans aren’t let back in IAW before end of January, that’s what 7 home games behind closed doors.

Say £50K per game revenue as rough number so £350K lost revenue. Are Welsh Government really going to make that up? And if so, how long will it take.

It’s becoming an absolute joke now.

Will this also put people of committing to purchasing season ticket for next season? You’d have to think so, as there is no way of knowing this kind of thing won’t happen again. People may not want to risk it.

Diablo3

I
If fans aren’t let back in IAW before end of January, that’s what 7 home games behind closed doors.

Say £50K per game revenue as rough number so £350K lost revenue. Are Welsh Government really going to make that up? And if so, how long will it take.

It’s becoming an absolute joke now.

Will this also put people of committing to purchasing season ticket for next season? You’d have to think so, as there is no way of knowing this kind of thing won’t happen again. People may not want to risk it.
I think Todd said 45K for the Devils and 25k for hospitality per game. Boris isn't going to bail him out so this is all on Drakeford

NathanG

I

I think Todd said 45K for the Devils and 25k for hospitality per game. Boris isn't going to bail him out so this is all on Drakeford
The Welsh gov are experts on spunking millions of pounds of tax payer money. I'm sure they'll have enough to cover the clubs costs, along with the football and rugby clubs in Wales. Or at least I hope.

On a positive note, when the pandemic is finally over, Drakeford and his army of overpaid, glorified councillors will no longer be relevant.

Kevlar68

Well Boris isn't paying out anything. In london now, all fully open with only mask restrictions inside but many wearing masks even when on the streets.
Fingers crossed our event at Hard Rock hotel has some restrictions. I know we def need double jab passport.

JT666

The Welsh gov are experts on spunking millions of pounds of tax payer money. I'm sure they'll have enough to cover the clubs costs, along with the football and rugby clubs in Wales. Or at least I hope.

On a positive note, when the pandemic is finally over, Drakeford and his army of overpaid, glorified councillors will no longer be relevant.
You’ve hit the nail on the head there @NathanG . They say “we’re all in this together” but the people making these decisions, politicians and senior civil servants of all creeds, won’t be effected by the policies they are setting. They won’t have to worry about their next pay packet, and their generous pension payments will continue unaffected.

By all means be vigilant, but let’s get back to allowing individuals to decide if places or events are safe to attend, rather than hanging on every word of these despots. There’s the distinct possibility Covid, or variations of it, will never completely go away, either we take responsibility for our own decisions, and adjust to life with it being around, or we blindly follow our gormless masters for the foreseeable. If we choose the latter, no questions asked, I'm afraid the places and things we most enjoy won’t be around.