Breaking News: Devils sign new player

Paul Sullivan

So.... sorry to derail this one but..... Jake Coughler.

I absolutely loved what I saw. Worked his bag off, battled, competed (something we always appreciate in Cardiff) and did the simple things very well, which has been a frustration this year thus far. His hookup with a couple of our guys belied the single training session they have shared, for my money.

I think more time to bed in, lines to settle and he will become a very popular player. Did catch me out a few times though as he has a touch of the looks of Scotty Matzka about him.

That was the reverse of all the the close games Guilford have snuck out from under us, deservedly, this season. Those are the games that win you silver, not winning 7-1 and crowing about it.

Last edited:

Rhyan48

So.... sorry to derail this one but..... Ryan Coughler.

I absolutely loved what I saw. Worked his bag off, battled, competed (something we always appreciate in Cardiff) and did the simple things very well, which has been a frustration this year thus far. His hookup with a couple of our guys belied the single training session they have shared, for my money.

I think more time to bed in, lines to settle and he will become a very popular player. Did catch me out a few times though as he has a touch of the looks of Scotty Matzka about him.

That was the reverse of all the the close games Guilford have snuck out from under us, deservedly, this season. Those are the games that win you silver, not winning 7-1 and crowing about it.
Jake coughler

Slartibartfast

Coughler looked really good. He plays with some flair and works hard also. He seemed to fit in fine with Cox and Sandford who have years of chemistry. I think that line will be a force after a few games together. It feels like everything could come together now. We know the Dixon Reid Crandall line works. The Brits and Lammon have been doing great recently. They have scored 11 goals in the last 6 games between them.
And we still have McNally to come back who we know can put the puck in the net. McNulty is doing well and Lewis is back and the D are looking better overall.
This is the first time I have felt positive about the team in a while. Just hope that there are no more injuries so there is no more line disruption. We need some stability now.

moggy#9

Coughler looked really good. He plays with some flair and works hard also. He seemed to fit in fine with Cox and Sandford who have years of chemistry. I think that line will be a force after a few games together. It feels like everything could come together now. We know the Dixon Reid Crandall line works. The Brits and Lammon have been doing great recently. They have scored 11 goals in the last 6 games between them.
And we still have McNally to come back who we know can put the puck in the net. McNulty is doing well and Lewis is back and the D are looking better overall.
This is the first time I have felt positive about the team in a while. Just hope that there are no more injuries so there is no more line disruption. We need some stability now.
For the first time in starting to feel that we have a potential core for going forward beyond this season. The defence is looking more solid rather than showy, which is what I like.

With the season he's having, and particularly if he does well in the world championships, I can't see Waller being with us next season. He's destined for bigger things.

Slartibartfast

Just because johnson and co are Incompetent, doesn't automatically make Drakeford and co competent. They just play to different intended audiences.
I would love to join this political debate but this thread is about our new signing. Maybe start a thread on the general forum. I would be happy to join in.

Mazzoak

Can we for the love of God stop talking about the bloody virus unless it’s on a related topic FFS..............

What a difference a player change makes, take note owners, sometimes a coach needs to coach. That’s a decent pick up, bit of reservation as to his health issues, hopefully a decent DR has checked it out and we’ve done a proper assessment as to his fitness and we’ve rolled a dice on it. My only issue is that makes him a target for certain players with certain officials, hope I’m wrong & we are not sinking further into the beer league. Being unprofessional on streaming, officiating, rule enforcement, ticketing, game night maintenance etc etc is one thing, ignoring player safety is another.

Anyway can’t wait to watch this guy in person and the team, the past is done, let’s get on it........

Wannabe2

This new lad looks a very good asset for the club, young energetic and looking pretty neat. A well known and highly respected ex player of ours has remarked that he knows where the net is, so it’s looking good for the future. Great to see some of our injured guys returning, and hopefully more on the mend, if we could just add a bit of physicality to our game now, then hopefully the entertainment will improve.

E.D.S.

One new player and one game. Long way to go yet. It’s an improvement and let’s hope things build from here but plenty of games to go yet. Let’s see how we do against Belfast and when we play the Panthers away. Our normal tricky games.

Positive signs though.

moggy#9

One new player and one game. Long way to go yet. It’s an improvement and let’s hope things build from here but plenty of games to go yet. Let’s see how we do against Belfast and when we play the Panthers away. Our normal tricky games.

Positive signs though.
Let's not ignore the impact of McNulty. From what I've seen he's changed the character of our defence and he seems a solid low risk player.

Also, as an aside, I've just noticed that Josh batch was +2 last night. He's rapidly growing into the unsung hero of this team. I know I sound like a broken record, but he deserves recognition from GB.

Paul Sullivan

Positive signs though.
It was only one game yes. Couple more now though and my opinion remains. Also, and it seems to be a quirk of our Club, there's a strong history of lone mid-season signings making a difference for us in Cardiff, The Thornton principle, you might call it. I don't think it's all because of the removal of one skillset and the addition of another; more than sometimes guys are simply a better fit. Time will tell but so far it's looking an inspired acquisition.

Slartibartfast

JC does look like a good fit. I think the dual signing of Sandford and Cox was seen as an important part of the team. Despite both showing huge speed and talent and the ability to score some spectacular goals, Skalde never really found the third player to complement them and the constant rotation of lines has not helped them. JC looks just the sort of player to fit on that line. He is a similar age and speed but a bit bigger and a sniper. I think not only will JC thrive but it will bring the best out of Cox and Sandford.

tim78

I thought Dupont started well with them, it all seemed to go wrong when we lost 2 games in which we were by far the more dominant team just the other team were more efficient on the break. After that we demanded change and the coach tried the change up (whether other team got our number or not).

I hope we do get to see Dupont again in a more potentate state, he has been clinical in his passing and was blocking shots in the last game. Not sure if any one remembers Ed Patterson but I'd like to know if they see an familiarity in styles.

Wannabe2

If DuPont was anywhere as close to Ed Patterson I would have been well chuffed, but to me he isn’t in the same class, plus Ed played 68 games in the show, played physical and led by example. No comparison in my view sorry.