Blaze Vs Devils - League - 1st April 23 - 19:00 FO

Swarley

Big rebuild required. Could be a couple more seasons in the wilderness whilst this team rediscovers its identity and the recruiters sort their dire performance out. Poor poor recruitment from Coach through to the spine of the team.
I seem to remember TK saying that when he hired Skalde he had a long list of amazing cv's from coaches..

It won't happen but maybe they need to take another look at the list and find a coach who can teach Dupont what it means to be a coach because all he's doing is what Skalde did, hands in pockets, no passion, no energy.

If we keep any players from this season I will be shocked because with Dupont as coach I can't see anyone wanting to stay.

august04 2.0

I seem to remember TK saying that when he hired Skalde he had a long list of amazing cv's from coaches..

It won't happen but maybe they need to take another look at the list and find a coach who can teach Dupont what it means to be a coach because all he's doing is what Skalde did, hands in pockets, no passion, no energy.

If we keep any players from this season I will be shocked because with Dupont as coach I can't see anyone wanting to stay.
These players wanted him in the first place. Perhaps he’s a soft touch and just what the players still want in the Cardiff Devils holiday camp, where winning isn’t the be all and end all, mid table mediocrity is accepted, and you never get to lose your job despite how shit you play.

The off season can’t come soon enough - after tonight’s display it really is touch and go whether the Devils will make the Playoff Weekend, which for an arena team coming 4th is by any stretch of the imagination a poor return on investment.

There are many posts about which players fans would choose to have back next season, which makes for interesting reading. For me, the big question is, given the recent public backing the owners recently gave Brodie DuPont as Head Coach, how many current players would themselves choose to stay.

A massively under achieving season, one really couldn’t blame players for seeking to play elsewhere under a more experienced and, imho, a more capable Head Coach. Constantly shortening the bench during play often leaves your special teams struggling to have the desired impact when called upon, and that quite simply is one of the reasons why the Devils Powerplay is as cold as the ice they play on.

Other reasons include, lack of goalie screening, and constantly passing the puck around the offensive zone from statue to statue (minimal player movement makes defending easy, which in turns leads to PK teams having sufficient energy to score as many short handed goals as we have seen the Devils concede this season

The Devils owners have a tricky few weeks ahead of them, and dare I say it some key conversations to be had with top end players, otherwise, it could be a few years before the coach and the side he is able to put together is sufficiently competitive for a growing number of fair weather Devils fans.

moggy#9

The off season can’t come soon enough - after tonight’s display it really is touch and go whether the Devils will make the Playoff Weekend, which for an arena team coming 4th is by any stretch of the imagination a poor return on investment.

There are many posts about which players fans would choose to have back next season, which makes for interesting reading. For me, the big question is, given the recent public backing the owners recently gave Brodie DuPont as Head Coach, how many current players would themselves choose to stay.

A massively under achieving season, one really couldn’t blame players for seeking to play elsewhere under a more experienced and, imho, a more capable Head Coach. Constantly shortening the bench during play often leaves your special teams struggling to have the desired impact when called upon, and that quite simply is one of the reasons why the Devils Powerplay is as cold as the ice they play on.

Other reasons include, lack of goalie screening, and constantly passing the puck around the offensive zone from statue to statue (minimal player movement makes defending easy, which in turns leads to PK teams having sufficient energy to score as many short handed goals as we have seen the Devils concede this season

The Devils owners have a tricky few weeks ahead of them, and dare I say it some key conversations to be had with top end players, otherwise, it could be a few years before the coach and the side he is able to put together is sufficiently competitive for a growing number of fair weather Devils fans.
I'll tell you which players would choose to stay. The ones who enjoy the holiday camp atmosphere of zero accountability, or who are mates of the management who are living on part glories.

Kevlar68

I can't remember who stated these:-

1/Bowns is a better netminder than kozun.

2/Bowns will be in for the playoffs, the more he plays the better he gets.

Was wondering:
Do these statements mean Bowns is better netminder than kozun at conceding goals and Bowns conceded 3 and tonight 4 does that mean he gets better at conceding goals.

Swarley

From DuPonts post game. "It was a learning game" really? With one game to go before the season ends, what does he think he can learn that the other 99% of the season didn't tell him?
The fact its taken him 53 games to notice his tactic doesn't work is massively worrying, and I say tactic because he doesn't have a plan B at all, he got his pants pulled down this season and was fully exposed for lacking any sort of passion, drive or hunger to win a game.

You cant spend games hands in pockets looking like a deer in headlights, I'm not saying pull a Keefe and slam doors but ffs at least act like you are trying to fire the team up.

I still think if you put this team with an experienced coach who has more than one generic plan they would deliver way more entertaining and fruitful hockey,the talent is there the coach just isn't.

matbur

For me, the big question is, given the recent public backing the owners recently gave Brodie DuPont as Head Coach, how many current players would themselves choose to stay.
I'm not so sure it is as clear cut as the owners indicated. The owners weren't going to criticise or speculate about an employee in a public forum.

I've mentioned this previously, but if the fans are seeing issues with how the team is functioning and performing, then the owners sure as hell will be.

It's been a bad season overall, but the owners have earned our patience and trust to get it right.

lloyd_jeff

If Dupont is for the chop I’d have expected a supporting avoidance generic type of answer. King has previously stated when Lord was here, that nobody is safe, yet Dupont is being supported, I’d be surprised if Dupont was fired after hearing that answer from an owner.

BostonBart22

Like I said before dupes has lost the locker room , players no intrest in playing for him since before Xmas

moggy#9

The fact its taken him 53 games to notice his tactic doesn't work is massively worrying, and I say tactic because he doesn't have a plan B at all, he got his pants pulled down this season and was fully exposed for lacking any sort of passion, drive or hunger to win a game.

You cant spend games hands in pockets looking like a deer in headlights, I'm not saying pull a Keefe and slam doors but ffs at least act like you are trying to fire the team up.

I still think if you put this team with an experienced coach who has more than one generic plan they would deliver way more entertaining and fruitful hockey,the talent is there the coach just isn't.
Yes, I'm somewhat bemused at those who say we shouldn't get rid of Dupont as it's his first year, or that we be seen as a club that sacks a coach every year. The failings are fundamental and something has to be done.

I said at the time that appointing Dupont was a mistake, and I'm really sorry to have been right on this one.

Pembo

Glad psychologically for the team got a couple of consolation goals at the death. We’d conceded 10 straight unanswered goals in Skydome before that late rally. Cov have improved steadily this season and they’ve got goals from multiple lines, all the players seem fully invested and I actually regard them as slight favourites to go through in the quarters based on form in past few months. Special teams needs to be an absolute laser focus for us in off season. We’re never going to challenge for the league when we have an impotent power play and ship short handers quite often.

moggy#9

Glad psychologically for the team got a couple of consolation goals at the death. We’d conceded 10 straight unanswered goals in Skydome before that late rally. Cov have improved steadily this season and they’ve got goals from multiple lines, all the players seem fully invested and I actually regard them as slight favourites to go through in the quarters based on form in past few months. Special teams needs to be an absolute laser focus for us in off season. We’re never going to challenge for the league when we have an impotent power play and ship short handers quite often.
I was shocked to see that the Sheffield pp is even worse than ours, but then I imagine that as soon as the Steelers are eliminated fox will be gone. There is no excuse for us and the Steelers to be 8th and 9th place respectively in that category.

BostonBart22

Can see a belfast v Coventry final..just saying