Best new signing so far?

wildthing74

Thread starter #1
Off the back of a 4 point weekend we can all find lots to be positive about at the moment but now we've all seen quite a bit of the new guys I wondered what fans think?

I like the little debates at games and it's funny how fans see things so differently and one guy will say so and so is great but the guy next to him days he sucks :lol:

I love all our D core this year and we've hugely upgraded on what we had imo and long term Bowns I think will be our most important signing.

The forwards all have their strengths and it's refreshing to see the guys play with a small and all look genuinely thrilled to be here.Mychan I think is a star in the making and Clarky and Haddad look like they could be Devils for years with the right coaching and luck but the guy I rate the most so far is Joey Martin. Man I've not seen him take a shift off in any game.His two way play and defensive work on the red line is just a joy to watch and goes about making the smart play every time and never turning the puck over.For me he is just Mr Consistency night after night and hopefully he's one of the guys we build the team around in the new rink.

Hopefully I'm not the only one who thinks he's been our best player but it's always nice to share thoughts?

Welshy74

For me the best signing so far if thats what you can call it is Todd Kelman. I dont think I have seen/heard such a dramatic improvement of an organisation in such a short period of time.
Player wise though for me is tough because I see the players improving each game but if i had to pick one it would be............ Carl Hudson but a matter of fact it could be any of them

Jon

I'm with you(Wildthing),he's absolutely outstanding with some of the best hands and skating ability i've seen for a long time.To be fair all of the guys are a joy to watch and Bowns will only get even better.

Wannabe2

What a superb state to be in when you can't decide on this one, firstly I wouldn't want to lose a single player out of this squad, ask me to pick one and I seriously can't, and that's the truth. Shit it's been a long time since being in that dilemma. Forwards love them, Defencemen love them, Bownsy just gets better and better. Sorry but for me it's a draw.

Welshy74 said:
For me the best signing so far if thats what you can call it is Todd Kelman. I dont think I have seen/heard such a dramatic improvement of an organisation in such a short period of time.
Player wise though for me is tough because I see the players improving each game but if i had to pick one it would be............ Carl Hudson but a matter of fact it could be any of them
With you there on Hudson but as you say it could be any of them, Martin is just awesome

Slartibartfast

Really tough one this. Up front I would say Joey Martin. The guy is just a pleasure to watch. He reminds me of Jeff Pierce but much more consistent and hard working.
On D its a tough call. Offensively I would say Hudson but defensively I would say Hendrixx.

Sheincar

I'm a huge Bown's fan from watching him at GB but also am very impressed with virtually all the other guys. Not been disappointed with any of the newbies.

Ocko

This is difficult one John!

I have different players for different reasons.

Forward: Martin, a complete centre with great hands and playmaking. Reminds me of Matzka, makes players better around him.

D Man: Hudson, the classiest D man since Teplitsky but has more to his game IMO. Skates effortlessly, is like lightning, can hit and is also so consistent on the point. Looks a class above.

Biggest surprise: Hendrikx by a mile. A few slagged him off before on THF before the season saying that they've seen him and he couldn't skate and won't be anything more than a goon. I feared for an Adam Ross but instead ended up with the nastiest stay at home D man since Dion Darling but with the added factor of being the hardest hitter in the league and heavyweight toughness. He is also comfortable on the puck and skates well. Much better than I thought.

Special mention to Dougie. Started off lacking a bit of sharpness but has proved he can play and is very tough. What I like about Dougie is that he really seems to want to be there, he constantly skates with a smile on his face. He interacts well with fans and seems to be loving it here, that positivity must be great in the dressing room.

Overall Lord is on the money with this team, I wouldn't change a single player. I can't remember a year where we didn't have to make a change because someone wasn't living up to expectation and doing what was required. Considering the short time this team was put together in, is nothing short of incredible.

drainage

Martin or Hendrikx but also think Walton has some great plays

Dougie has got to mentioned not only proving the gone by Christmas crowd wrong he genuinely is excited to be here

jimmy snels

Best so far by a bit for me: Andrew Lord. Fantastic example of someone leading from the front. Mychan for me is a great player. I love watching our D men as a unit. Can't pick one out. Richie has looked back to his best and hendrikx is a big part of our meanest D in EIHL history. Basically I'm loving it!

Really pleased with all our signings and enjoy watching them all for a variety of reasons.
Favorite forward has to Joey Martin, just pure class and I'd already be looking for his signature on next year's contract.
Best overall D man in my opinion has to be Hotham. He's. Strong defensively, doesn't take any crap and some of his offensive play is sublime.
Best off ice signing was a toss up between Kelman and Taz, Kelman won.

KaneDevils

Best overall D man in my opinion has to be Hotham.
I'd agree with you. Although a tough question to answer.
Best F, J.Martin. When I watch a game he seems to be everywhere, reminiscent of Matzka, who wasn't bad either :)

KaneDevils said:
Best overall D man in my opinion has to be Hotham.
I'd agree with you. Although a tough question to answer.
Best F, J.Martin. When I watch a game he seems to be everywhere, reminiscent of Matzka, who wasn't bad either :)
Hotham is awesome. But the entire d corps are fantastic this year. I love watching Hendrikx. One of the meanest dmen I've seen in a while.

Hotham - a real tough defender who's comfortable on the puck too. After all the years promising some team toughness....and not getting any.....we have a guy who, with one or two others, looks out for team mates.
IMO some over the top postings here!
There is no Matzka here.....and there's certainly no one who skates out the puck from defence to attack like Tyson Teplitsky!
The development of Bowns is going to be a key factor in any future success. He has to be as good as an average import net minder....and a much longer time frame is needed to make a reasoned assessment. But he's started quite well.

schulersagoodun said:
There is no Matzka here.....and there's certainly no one who skates out the puck from defence to attack like Tyson Teplitsky!
Disagree immensely. Whilst Matzka ripped up the league in the record breaking season and produced well after Jon Pelles departure, the league standard has gone up in the last three years, as well as the introduction of the conference system.

The opposition has become tougher, we're playing the better teams more regularly and for my money, Joey Martin is very similar to Matzka. He's producing a point a game, forechecks very well and his puck control in the offensive zone is unreal. He'll hold the puck there for whole shifts while the guys open up options for him and looks incredibly composed. Lock him up to a long term deal, my favourite player right now.

As for Hudson, he's my find of the year. Playing in the French league last year, I expected him to be decent defensively but offensively carries the puck into the zone very well and powers up the wing to join the rush when possible, very rarely is he out of position and loves to jump up into the play to grab a rebound, very much like Tyson did.

All the new guys have been great. I love Mychan and Haddads intensity, Clarkson's hands are sublime for a big man, Walton is coming into his own and Hendrikx hits like a train. Hotham also is a great all round defenseman.

Best signing so far? Martin.

Finny

Joey Martin just seems to get better and better every game. His reading of the game at times and the passes he picks out are unbelievable.

And like Ocko said, Hendrikx has been the nicest surprise so far after being labelled as just a goon by many so called experts on THF.