Ben Davies is off to Basingstoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finny

Can someone explain to me what this bit means:

"as 2-way contracts at this time in the season take 30 days, meaning Ben would be outside of the transfer window
So does that mean he can't sign a 2-way deal and so he has to make a decision whether it's us or Basingstoke for the rest of the season, and so can't go between them both?

DWD

Woah, that is one bitter Press Release.

It has to stand alongside the Panthers one earlier this season on the Coventry bench clearance in the "should have got someone independent to read it first" category

Hilarious. Poor lad wanting to gain experience with more ice time... how dare he.

He gave up the 3rd line spot with very little fight when S Smith was struggling a little in the first couple of weeks, he's happy to forfeit potential silverware just to play regularly (not a winner?) and the timing of his decision hasn't been the best.

I hope he knows what he's doing.
There are two things here! Wasnt he covering an injury for Voth at the beginning of the season, when he should have been contending for that 3rd line spot? How can he fight for that and cover Voths injury?

Also whos to say he knows what he is doing? My question is though, who has been there to advise and support him. From what i have heard G has been very hard to communicate with and i have also heard other fans of G that he doesnt find communication easy!

I also agree with whoever said that this isnt about Sam and Ben. Both are great players within their own right, and i am sure they get on well, as they have come throught the ranks together.

I might agree that mid season might not be the best time to have done this, as i fully support the devils team and want them to come home with something at the end of the season. BUT i also see it that a young kid, with little experience of life (as most 19 year olds) hasnt been treated the best. He has looked to management for advice and support throughtout this season and been turned away again and again. he doesnt have a manager as many footballers out there do, so who does he turn to??

G also made a comment in the wales online article,

'
Davies was left out of the Devils team for the 8-1 home win against Newcastle Vipers and the 6-1 success against Dundee Stars in Scotland.

Ironically, he would have had plenty of ice time in both matches.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/ice ... z1AC0SFZd4
Why then did i see Ben down the rink on Saturday night apparently fit and healthy?? I heard he had been turned away from the dressing room. Isnt it ironic in the game he doesnt bench for, he was going to have 'plenty' of ice time!!??

I just think that this poor lads decision for more ice time as, DWD put it has turned into this farce.

Finny

Hockeyfan1 said:
Why then did i see Ben down the rink on Saturday night apparently fit and healthy?? I heard he had been turned away from the dressing room. Isnt it ironic in the game he doesnt bench for, he was going to have 'plenty' of ice time!!??
I would have thought it was obvious why he was turned away from the dressing room.

Why is it obvious, when i believe Bens request was to have a 2 way contract with Basingstoke while still remaining loyal to the devils and being available for injury???

Finny

But haven't we just been told that's not possible?

Would you want to play with someone who isn't fully commited to the team?

I don't see how he can be 100% committed when he has his eyes on other opportunities.

G has worked hard on the dressing room this year, and if Ben is in two minds this will just unsettle the team. Perhaps some breathing and thinking space is the best thing for both sides.

I'd have a bit more respect for Ben if he left at the end of the season,he chose to sign for the Devils this year and he should honour that.
I think he's tried to hold a gun to G's head over this and come unstuck.More Ice time or I'm off.
I am right behind G on this and Ben should not be let anywhere near the dressing room until he is 100% committed to the Devils,not 50% Devils and 50% Bison.
I dont know whos advising Ben but their not doing him any favours.

Thats part of what i am asking though. Who is there to advise the youngsters who develop in this sport? If you are a footballer then you have managers! I dont think ice hockey players do. So who do they ask for advice??

TheStub

Re: Re: Ben Davies is off to Basingstoke

Hockeyfan1 said:
So being with the devils for 13years of his life isnt commitment??
To me it shows a slight lack of imagination. Ben should have gone last season and gained experience.

I'm with G. If he is landed with the shock, I'd tell him to naff off too.

I know nothing of the conversation, but there are plenty of people involved with hockey. Chatting to the likes of Stone or Francis would at least guide you to people to talk to.

There are ways and means. The hostile press means people feel aggrieved and therefore it has been handled badly by all parties.

fried egg said:
I'd have a bit more respect for Ben if he left at the end of the season,he chose to sign for the Devils this year and he should honour that.
I think he's tried to hold a gun to G's head over this and come unstuck.More Ice time or I'm off.
I am right behind G on this and Ben should not be let anywhere near the dressing room until he is 100% committed to the Devils,not 50% Devils and 50% Bison.
I dont know whos advising Ben but their not doing him any favours.
Spot on I think. He signed his contract and should honour it, especially at this stage of his career. Sam is better than Ben and deserves his place on the 3rd line and no one is disputing that, but Ben still has an important part to play in the team and should aim to do it as best as he can and not clear off mid season. I think staying and doing that would show more strength of character and determination than going to Basingstoke.

BobbyJ said:
Sam is better than Ben
I wouldn't say that.. They're two very different players entirely. Ben is a defensive forward and the work he does in the corners and clearing the defensive zone is excellent. Sam meanwhile, is an offensive minded player with a little more size, and is putting points up.

I agree that Sam should be there though.. There's no point trying to fix something that's not broken!

drummer-sean said:
BobbyJ said:
Sam is better than Ben
I wouldn't say that.. They're two very different players entirely. Ben is a defensive forward and the work he does in the corners and clearing the defensive zone is excellent. Sam meanwhile, is an offensive minded player with a little more size, and is putting points up.

I agree that Sam should be there though.. There's no point trying to fix something that's not broken!
Really? That is the opposite to my thoughts on Ben. When we have the puck, or fighting for it in the corners he is brilliant. But on the forecheck and positionally he looks suspect when the other team has the puck.

As for icetime, whenever we have had a decent lead Ben has iced in place of most, if not all, wingers. Whilst this isn't ideal for settling, the experience of playing with Finner, Matzka, Pelle, Tylor etc must be a good lesson in playing with different types of players.

Hockeyfan1 said:
Who says he isnt fully commited to the team?
This is probably the most tightly knitted group of players we have had for years so perhaps the team themselves feel that by his actions Ben is showing that he isn't fully commited to them.

Finny

Have to say I'm another surprised at the suggestion that Ben is a defensive forward, as it's his defensive responsibilites that he needs to work on most.

Equally confused as to how someone could be fully committed to the team yet looking to move away.

Status
Not open for further replies.