Ben Davies is off to Basingstoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/bThe fact remains this won't be the last we see of him in the Elite League, he'll be a real offensive threat in the years to come, and hopefully it'll be Cardiff that gets his signature when that day arrives]

That will depend on who the coach is :cool: !
Ben was there tonight, he was supposed to play, but didn't.

Good luck Ben, you'll do well with Moria as a roll model!

kettdevil1

This might be 2 and 2 making 5 but, is there a link between Ben going and the announcement being made tomorrow?

A new player to replace Ben with perhaps G stepping back behind the bench?

i woudnt have thought so, as Ben hasn't officially said he's going, all this was started by a rumour, so highly unlikely the Devils would have made any arrangements for any replacement, to sit on the bench, who would want that job?

kettdevil1

devil99 said:
i woudnt have thought so, as Ben hasn't officially said he's going, all this was started by a rumour, so highly unlikely the Devils would have made any arrangements for any replacement, to sit on the bench, who would want that job?
I was actually thinking of a high profile player rather than a benchwarmer...

I would imagine this is a 2-way deal. Hopefully this means whilst Ben would normally be benchwarming in a Devils game he is getting regular ice in an EPL team. If we suffer an injury then Ben returns to regular Elite ice time! Seems like a win for everyone?? If it isnt a 2-way deal then.......who knows who will be the ultimate winner! Perhaps the we can call upon some ENL guys to develop? Burrows has already played a couple games as has Fisher and i believe Piggot and Jones train regularly with the Elite squad now?

I would imagine Ben has thought this through and not taken this decision lightly. Good luck to him at B'stoke and lets hope Mo takes him under his wing to return him back to us a better player for next season.

DevilDom

Good Luck to Ben, however I can see this being bad for the Devils in the title run in.

The joy of having someone with Ben's quality as a 10th forward was that when the likes of Voth and Finnerty are in the box he can step on to their line with little or no deterimental impact on our lines. In fact Ben was also used well to change the dynamics of the 2nd line when needed as he added more pace than Voth.

I hope we fought hard to keep him and that we haven't forced away a very good young Brit player for good.

As I see it Ben and Sam were told at the start of the season there was one spot up for grabs and they were both playing for it.If you were in G or Franny you would need to think who has brought more to the team?
We dont know the full circumstances and for all we know Ben is the one who has decided to leave.Good luck to him,but he has been a bit of a luxury for us this season.
How many teams in this league can afford to pay a player and leave him on the bench just in case someone picks up a penalty?Not many I suspect.
I think Sam had played well and more than deserves his place in front of Ben.More potential and at the moment a better player in my eyes.
Good luck Ben and I'm sure you will return a better player with the extra ice time your sure to get.

wildthing74

James said:
I have heard it is a 2 way and he is avaliable to us to call back in the event of injury or suspension.
I hoped that was the case.If so then its a good deal for all parties and will help Ben improve rather than ride the bench but be able to come back and ice when we need him.

Ocko

I can understand that he may want more ice time... but he is getting some. It's a shame he's leaving, personally I cant see his logic in leaving a potential championship winning team on the back of 17 victories. Maybe leave next year but something big could be happening with this team come April and to miss out on being part of a winning team in the the top league in the country in favour of a bit more ice time in a league half the standard is bizarre IMO. Some players wait years to be part of these sorts of teams.... As a Liverpool fan I hate to see it but ask Stephen Gerrard!

Earnie

Ben has always been a joy to watch and has made a contribution to our current success.
His lack of ice time has been an issue for some time.
However the timing of his move is unfortunate for all concerned. The opportunity to be part of what may be a single/double/ tripple trophy winning team does not come up too often.

The opportunity to move to Basingstoke would probably still be there at the end of the season.

Gaz G

I think this one is a case of time will tell as when I was chating to ben last night he himself didn't really know what was happening.

Ocko said:
I can understand that he may want more ice time... but he is getting some. It's a shame he's leaving, personally I cant see his logic in leaving a potential championship winning team on the back of 17 victories. Maybe leave next year but something big could be happening with this team come April and to miss out on being part of a winning team in the the top league in the country in favour of a bit more ice time in a league half the standard is bizarre IMO. Some players wait years to be part of these sorts of teams
Couldn't agree more, sadly though whoever is advising him see's it differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.