Belfast Giants v Cardiff Devils - Sat 7pm- Chat/Updates

Thank god for the goal!

I'm watching the stream and I don't think we deserved to be 3-0 down. And well done Brad, in my opinion the team needed to be stood up for then. Szwez spearing people, a scrum infront of the net and McMorrow slamming centre ice with his stick calling out anyone.

I really hope we can get something from tonight and I think the 3rd period could go our way as long as we believe in ourselves and stop playing behind the bloody goal cos you can't score from there!

Come on Devils!

Finny said:
I'm guessing the commentator was selected from some "Care in the Community" programme?

And what's with switching camera angles when the puck is down the far end?

Sorry guys but this is painful to watch even if it is free. Think I'll watch XFactor instead. Even Jedward can't be this bad.
I am amazed that Brent managed to get the gig for the Vancouver Olympics with such tough opposition. The Belfast two must have come close lol

the devils really need to step things up because were not going to be able to come close to winning the league playing like this. We seem to fall apart when we haven't got smith creating plays like he does, but we need to learn to cope without him. Hopefully its just a hold belfast have got over us and we can beat the panthers tomorrow.

Mark Smith - one man does not make a team. He is good but his absence shouldn't have this big an impact. We should have it covered.

DevilDom

3 goals now in the last 2 games without Smith (and 1 of them was fortunate in OT). Average 1.5 goals per game. We are obviously missing his invention and skill badly as I believe we were averaging around 5 goals a game before that. Agree 1 man shouldn't make a team but things don't seem to be working too well without him. I just hope the management act decisivily if he is going to be out much longer, as we can't wait for weeks hoping he will return.

IMO makes tomorrows game a must win, and we could really do with Smith back for it but seems highly unlikely, otherwise we'll drop out of the pack and be fighting it out with Newcastle in mid table for another year.

rolf

well we kinda all said that when we lost vother for a few games and now it's smitty, there just may be a missing link to this team. it certainly don't appear to be d.bekar as i am constantly advised but it must be summat.

for what it's worth, max don't seem his normal self, maybe he has that naaasty cold that's been doggin all at my work, blackburn rovers, coventry and nottingham (but only after we have done well against them)...........i know i have only been 75% for the last few weeks and if he's the same, then he has been remarkable !

Finny

Let's not get too doom and gloom after one game. Belfast got just 1 point last weekend so they had to come out firing. I only watched part of the first period but I didn't feel we deserved to be 2 goals behind. The second was one of those things that happens every now and again, but we seemed to be creating more chances, Birbraer had two great chances infront of net but Murphy stopped them both.

I know people keep saying that we aren't winning enough away games, but I really do think that away points will be at a premium this season. We are actually 3rd in the number of away points we have won so far this season.

Big game tonight though and we really do need to bounce back with a win.

Agree with the post above...

If we want to challenge for the league we have to take care of our home games, which we have been doing. Away from home we just need to nick the odd game here and there. Providing we get a W tonight, or whenever it's going to be, there's no reason to be too concerned.

However, it does seem like Belfast are the team we're going to struggle most against this year... the way they play actually seems to suit our small ice (providing the refs are as they are...). We have them in the Challenge Cup semis so we need to kind of 'work them out' soon.

DevilDom

We might be taking care of most of our home games, but Belfast (1 of our main rivals if we are going to challenge) have managed to take 3 points from 2 league games at our place and total 7 from 8 in the 4 league games we have played them. We need to be picking up more points away from home if we are to mount a serious challenge.

Gazza272

DevilDom said:
We might be taking care of most of our home games, but Belfast (1 of our main rivals if we are going to challenge) have managed to take 3 points from 2 league games at our place and total 7 from 8 in the 4 league games we have played them. We need to be picking up more points away from home if we are to mount a serious challenge.

True but then you always get a 'bogey' team who take a lot of points off of you. We have taken a lot of points from Coventry and basically knocked them out of the Challenge cup. So it's not like we are geting white washed by anyone.

Decent game last night, if we had taken our chances we would have got at least a point, a combination of Good D, Good netminding a fair slice of Luck got Belfast the win last night. But we did play well and they didnt look miles better than us which is a good thing.

DevilDom

We've only played Coventry once in the league though. Not trying to be a doom monger but 1 away win is not the same as 7 points from 8. If we can maintain our Cup record against them in the league then agree that will balance out our poor return against Belfast, but its a failry big IF!

Murphy was excellent. Belfast's D know how to block shots well. The goal line clearance in the second was fantastic, but I can't remember who it was. My first time seeing Szwez and he looks the part. Everything the Giants did going forward came from him and Benedict.

Lyle's mare was a proper mare! He generally looked a bit shaky all night to me. :?

Romfo, Miller and Richardson were my pick of the Devils players. The third line was the only one with any cohesion - to be expected. Adams, Towe and Davies cycled the puck well all night.

McMorrow = legend! He kept me entertained that's for sure. The O only got noisy when he was on the ice or getting some attention. I also loved his posing in the penalty box. A true showman and I have respect for the guy. Knows his role, does it well, keeps the fans happy and banters well in the bar! He is just what the league needs - a character.

A very expensive, but fantastic weekend! :D

Sliput

I thought it was a good game last night. McMorrow (on the ice) is a total waste of space,gets on for the first face-off, making faces at Voth,soon as puck is dropped he gets off. First Giants goals was more of a scramble infront of the net and the puck slides in behind Lyle. Second goal (i think) Lyle was behind the net,not quite sure how he got there.

As for the 'fight' loosely termed...i felt so sorry for Voth,McMorrow skated out to centre ice blatantely offering Brad out and Brad had no option to oblige,it was a hugfest really , a couple of punches a hug then they fell over. A few Giants fans in the bar after the game were saying Brad was a chicken and was scared of Mc, a few Devils fans have said the same but i honestly believe that Brad is just trying to stay out of trouble and i think G wants him to contribute to the goal taly and not the penalty minutes. Talking of G...boy, that guy leads by example,he was everywhere last night,he never lost the puck,and was in and out of everything.

I didnt come away disheartened last night BUT if Smith is going to be out for a while we need a replacement/cover.As we need a goalscorer to help out the forwards.

I have read comments on here that missing Smith shouldnt make a huge difference but last night you could clearly see that w are missing a sniper in front of goal,the type of player who has the ability to nip in the puck. Jay seemed quiet last night.

Have to dsay a big thanks to the girls and boys who we were with (You know who you are :lol: ) I havent laughed so much in ages.

As for McMorrow...off the ice the guy is a star,he came into the bar last night and spent ages talking with fans from both teams andalso obliged in photos and signings......still dont like him on the ice thouh . ha ha ha ha .

Sliput said:
As for McMorrow...off the ice the guy is a star,he came into the bar last night and spent ages talking with fans from both teams andalso obliged in photos and signings......still dont like him on the ice thouh . ha ha ha ha .
completely agree. off the ice he is an absolute legend. plenty of time for fans, both giants and the devils fans that were there.