Are we too 1 dimentional?

ASHIPP

Rempel16 said:
The players ARE good enough, the team IS good enough. The biggest problem is that the majority of them don't seem to be bothered about putting the effort away from home and it would seem that these players think they are only paid to perform at home.
Remps - do you really think that's the case? The problem seems to lie with the tactics rather than the effort and skill. The effort and ability IS there but the guys have to be able to change their game. Allow the team to adapt their style of play in different environments and we might just get a win! The Devils HAVE won a few games away this season - there's no doubt it can be done. But like a few posters on here, I am concerned about our D unit in these situations. We simply can't bank on scoring more goals than we concede. That seems a risk strategy no team can afford if they are chasing to get into top 3.

Rempel16

ASHIPP said:
Rempel16 said:
The players ARE good enough, the team IS good enough. The biggest problem is that the majority of them don't seem to be bothered about putting the effort away from home and it would seem that these players think they are only paid to perform at home.
Remps - do you really think that's the case? The problem seems to lie with the tactics rather than the effort and skill. The effort and ability IS there but the guys have to be able to change their game. Allow the team to adapt their style of play in different environments and we might just get a win! The Devils HAVE won a few games away this season - there's no doubt it can be done. But like a few posters on here, I am concerned about our D unit in these situations. We simply can't bank on scoring more goals than we concede. That seems a risk strategy no team can afford if they are chasing to get into top 3.
But at the present time we have the 2nd best defence in the league again statistically, with only Belfast having a fewer goals per game average.

Yes, I do think that is the case, I didn't want to single players out individually, but as it has now been stated in the Sheffield game thread - step up Max! He busts-a-gut in the home games but seems very lacklustre in the away games. It would be interesting to see his points return for home games compared to away games (granted we have won more at home so a comparison would need to be conducted throughout the team).

I think we do have different tactics away from home, mainly because we have to play a different game as we tend to win games at home when we physically dominate the opposition, allowing our skill guys to score neat goals. We can't do that on bigger ice, however we also don't seem to try to do that.

Again stated in the other thread, when we did try to dominate physically last night we were right in the game. Once we let off the game is effectively done.

I'm another that doesn't buy in to all this 'we can't play on bigger ice' stuff as we've bore that excuse for far too long now.

Who knows? I think it's just bad tactics... Everyone tried to do everything by themselves and we ended up with basically no scoring chances until right up until the end when they realized attacking the net works.

Sheffield were playing their third game in 3 nights... we should of turned this into a physical contest and took it to them. We didn't, and in the end they looked fitter than we did!

Who have we actually beat away this year?
A shoot out win against the vipers after being 3(?) goals down.
Coventry twice (not an olympic rink?)
Hull (meaningless CC dead rubber)
Caps (missing a lot of players at the time?)

Belfast have raced away to 3-0 leads against us twice. We beat the Vipers 9-2 and then can only put one past them in 65 minutes...

Finny

Only Coventry and Belfast have conceeded less league goals than us away from home.

The problem is that only Hull have scored less.

kettdevil1

I'm pretty sure that Coventry is 60 x 30 (i.e. standard Olympic size).

Is there an element of over-reaction on here at the moment...? As Hol_5 has pointed out, this was our first away game for some considerable time and it seems (from reading reports) that we played poorly.

These things happen... could be worse, Panthers fans appear rather upset at getting turned over by Hull...

steve

ASHIPP said:
We do look clueless at times - and as such yes i would think there was a problem with tactics. However, even when we play with a specific tactic, i.e. trap or dump and chase, the execution is woeful, so i think it is mainly down to bad attitude - the guy's should try, even if the gameplan is all wrong. So i don't blame G.

Our away form reminds me of England rugby under Andy Robinson - whatever you thought of Robinson, there is no way on this earth that he coached the players to perform as they did, and it was clearly bad attitude and under performance on the players part. I think its the same for us - so it's not G's tactics. What i will say though, is just like Robinson, you have to be able to get the best out of your players - even if your a good coach, if the guys wont play for you, then i guess its the coach that has to go.

While I am sorry to have seen Romfo go, I don't think defence is the issue, the last game i managed to get to was our home loss to the blaze, and I can honestly say I thought we outplayed them for large portions of the game but our forwards just could not get goals!
Our defence was hardly weak (this was in part thanks to Romfo's efforts).
To me it seems our forwards are struggling to get the goals they need against some of the tighter defences in the league and are taking too long to adjust in-game.