Are we too 1 dimentional?

Thread starter #1
Flame proof jacket on.

Winning at home is all and good for fan's but our record away is awful. Big ice a factor yes, but I could understand that being an excuse last year with bigger, slower players, but this year we are a fast, skillful hard hitting team. The only people who I'd say are slower, would be Hartwick, G and Stoney. (all d men lol)

I was going to post this a month or so ago but thought I'd leave it til xmas.....

I'm not a coach but surely a change of away tactic is needed?

davew

Well. we have the same problems at home in my opinion; that is that it is our transitional play which causes us a few problems.

On small ice, we are still giving away too many odd man rushes, but the forwards don't have to skate so far and are more likely to be able to get into positions that can help the D out. Translate this to the much bigger olympic pads, which are both longer and wider and you can see that our D may have less help.

Of course, the guys from NA play on NHL size pads which are the same length as european pads but they are several feet narrower than pads in europe. The extra width makes accurate and timely passing more important, and with so much more space to play with a mistake is more magnified on the big ice.

I'd like to hear more reports on todays performance before passing much more comment.

The new arena will be 60x30, as it will be more able to attract other events such as the skating championships as well as being a possible centre piece for gymnastics in the Cardiff bid for the commonwealth games.

Wannabe2

davew said:
Well. we have the same problems at home in my opinion; that is that it is our transitional play which causes us a few problems.

On small ice, we are still giving away too many odd man rushes, but the forwards don't have to skate so far and are more likely to be able to get into positions that can help the D out. Translate this to the much bigger olympic pads, which are both longer and wider and you can see that our D may have less help.

Of course, the guys from NA play on NHL size pads which are the same length as european pads but they are several feet narrower than pads in europe. The extra width makes accurate and timely passing more important, and with so much more space to play with a mistake is more magnified on the big ice.

I'd like to hear more reports on todays performance before passing much more comment.

The new arena will be 60x30, as it will be more able to attract other events such as the skating championships as well as being a possible centre piece for gymnastics in the Cardiff bid for the commonwealth games.
Says who, at this moment in time no-one knows what the hell is happening, unless you know something that no-one else knows, and if that is the case, then give us a break and let us know.

davew

you mean about the arena?

I know nothing more than most people, of that I'm sure. If CCC are serious about making a bid it means that they will be looking to the future use of the venue also. Skating cometitions( british and eurpoean), together with the plethora of concerts and other indoor events (olympic pad size more adaptable) which currently use the (temporary) facilities of the CIA will be transferred to our new home as Live Nation will likely be the operator.

I just am trying to be optamistic about both the team and our permenant home. Not having been in the tin shed and watched the game tonight, it would be inappropiate to voice opinions without knowing facts.

osh

Has anyone given thought to the fact that we just aren't good enough to compete with the teams that win titles year after year ( like we used to do in the past ) Big ice pads, small ice pads, it's a myth. Let's face it guys, much as we continue to support our team, we seek to constantly blame circumstances for losing, we really just aren't good enough at the moment and that's a fact. It doesn't stop me from still supporting my team, but somewhere along the line heads should roll !!

osh said:
Has anyone given thought to the fact that we just aren't good enough to compete with the teams that win titles year after year ( like we used to do in the past ) Big ice pads, small ice pads, it's a myth. Let's face it guys, much as we continue to support our team, we seek to constantly blame circumstances for losing, we really just aren't good enough at the moment and that's a fact. It doesn't stop me from still supporting my team, but somewhere along the line heads should roll !!
Yep the wrong one unfortunately ! Hope Matt enjoys his holiday cause his decisions are costing this team

I've just had a glance of the league table and it's grim. We are 5 points behind third place (6 points behind first) with zero games in hand. I think we are destined to be, once again, a mid-table team fighting each game for mid-table places. The second half of the season may turn out to be rather boring (again) unless something is done.

Finny

El Supremo said:
I've just had a glance of the league table and it's grim. We are 5 points behind third place (6 points behind first) with zero games in hand. I think we are destined to be, once again, a mid-table team fighting each game for mid-table places. The second half of the season may turn out to be rather boring (again) unless something is done.
Out of interest El, what would you suggest is done?

Bring back ROMFO, sack or put G on the bench. I would like to see G on the bench so we got cover if any bad injuries come up. If G was on the bench he might be able to see more clearly whats going wrong with our away form :evil:

Finny said:
El Supremo said:
Out of interest El, what would you suggest is done?
I'll be the first to point out that I'm not a hockey coach and have no experience of coaching. However, I do think that too much time and effort was spent in the off-season bulking up our attack to the detriment of the defence. An example of the mentality is how we axe a defencing player who is coming into form for an (unspectacular) forward.

Finny

rogue123 said:
Bring back ROMFO, sack or put G on the bench. I would like to see G on the bench so we got cover if any bad injuries come up. If G was on the bench he might be able to see more clearly whats going wrong with our away form :evil:
And are you going to pay for Romfo to return? Or have you already forgotten the press release on Thursday explaining we can't afford to do as you suggest.

I think there is a small thread about it somewhere on here.....

Finny

El Supremo said:
I'll be the first to point out that I'm not a hockey coach and have no experience of coaching. However, I do think that too much time and effort was spent in the off-season bulking up our attack to the detriment of the defence. An example of the mentality is how we axe a defencing player who is coming into form for an (unspectacular) forward.
But last season we were told that our team had been built too defensively to the detriment to our attack!
And I don't know if you have seen any of the recent games El, but for an unspectacular forward Finnerty has been our best player since he joined.

Finny

J.B said:
Wasn't Matt's target to try and break into the top 3, in which case you aren't that far away?
Top 3 or maybe top 4. But yes you are right J.B.
Though I hoped we would challenge for the league title my head told me it would be a season too soon.
Top 4 finish with a good showing in the cup competitions was what my brain told me at the start of the season. We're still in year 2 of a 3 year plan.

Finny said:
rogue123 said:
And are you going to pay for Romfo to return? Or have you already forgotten the press release on Thursday explaining we can't afford to do as you suggest.

I think there is a small thread about it somewhere on here.....
You are right but there is the small matter of employing someone to raise attendences, which clearly aint happening, so use that income to bring back Romfo and if the team starts winning trophies then the crowds will return. Everybody knows that in sport if you aint winning trophies, or being very close to winning them, then you will struggle to attract people. There sorted the problem and i didnt get paid for it. Now all i got to do is explain it to Matt :evil: Ha Ha Ha

Finny

rogue123 said:
You are right but there is the small matter of employing someone to raise attendences, which clearly aint happening, so use that income to bring back Romfo and if the team starts winning trophies then the crowds will return. Everybody knows that in sport if you aint winning trophies, or being very close to winning them, then you will struggle to attract people. There sorted the problem and i didnt get paid for it. Now all i got to do is explain it to Matt :evil: Ha Ha Ha
How long as that new person been in the job?
Bit harsh to suggest we are demanding instant results when we have a midweek game so close to christmas.

El Supremo said:
An example of the mentality is how we axe a defencing player who is coming into form for an (unspectacular) forward.
Your having a laugh right saying that we have signed an unspectacular forward. 7 points in 3 games says different to me and only been in Cardiff for 7 days!!!!

Sliput

rogue123 said:
Yep the wrong one unfortunately ! Hope Matt enjoys his holiday cause his decisions are costing this team
What an ill -thought out and frankly bizarre post.

I hope Matt enjoys his holiday because without him and his decisions we would not have a team to support.

His decisions are costing you absolutely nothing......his decisons cost him money..do you really think he isnt doing what he thinks is the right thing to do ?

:roll: :roll:

Rempel16

The players ARE good enough, the team IS good enough. The biggest problem is that the majority of them don't seem to be bothered about putting the effort away from home and it would seem that these players think they are only paid to perform at home.

Jones72

phil PLT said:
El Supremo said:
An example of the mentality is how we axe a defencing player who is coming into form for an (unspectacular) forward.
Your having a laugh right saying that we have signed an unspectacular forward. 7 points in 3 games says different to me and only been in Cardiff for 7 days!!!!
:D

You got there before me. Damn!