Any news on Lacosta

elliswf said:
Welshy74 said:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=3604
Looks good

(Separately cannot remember if this was in the rumours thread - Tim Thomas) it seems has been rumoured of playing EIHL
Thomas is signing for Florida according to reports today.
Sad news about Dan but I'd be surprised if we see him in a Devils jersey again. Double concussion sounds nasty and can't see it being a short term issue.

jimmy snels

Everyone always says chl/echl /ahl. For all these players u need a work permit. Perhaps we should b looking towards norway /Sweden/finland who would be available quickly and usually in my experience speak pretty tidy English

ASHIPP

Desperately sad for Dan - an aweful situation. Most importantly hope he has a swift and comfortable recovery and that we seem him resume his rightful place in Devils' goal soon.

Secondly hope G can secure a decent short-term goalie asap. An unenviable task. The team
has been assembled to challenge for honours this year. An experienced goalie is an essential part of that formula.

Our most consistent goalie of recent years now plays in the EPL. It's almost omninous that the Devils have experienced nothing but bad luck with goalies since then.
:shock:

Koop11

Concussion is not a great injury to have as it can easily reoccur which will mean a very less confident player retuning to the fold. It’s also a very hard injury to accurately monitor and give a reassuring date for return. The club suggest 2-3 weeks. With concussion, that could easily stretch into months, a season and dare I say a career. It’s such a sad situation for La Costa and I feel for him right now. I wish him a speedy recovery.

From the club’s point of view, a very difficult position they find themselves. Credit to Regan and the sponsors this year, large sums of money have gone into this team so I think it would be a push to bring an import outside of the EU from both a financial and timing perspective, unless of course a new sponsor suddenly appears. Regan is trying to make this team self sustaining and throwing money at it right now will not help that long term aim.

On the flipside, with the greatest respect to Myers who has done a fine job to his credit, fans will not pay to watch a team with its backup in net week in week out. That will be a financial hit for the club. We must also consider that early season is CC and we got knocked out last year, costing us thousands.

I can’t see any EPL team coughing up their starting netminder and in all honesty, how many are actually capable at this level. Lyle perhaps but I don’t see that happening with a new contract offer not being awarded to him after his previous stint with the club. I also don’t see Swindon simply handing over one of the better goalies in that league. Remember also, bringing a British goalie in means dropping an import.

This all points to finding a replacement of European origins (EU in particular). We could bypass much of the paper work and have them flown in tomorrow. Dare I suggest that European players tent to be cheaper also.

The risk in general with a ‘short term’ replacement is that they could be offered a more secure contract elsewhere at any time. Such a frustrating situation for all involved.

kettdevil1

Although on the flip side it could act as a useful 'shop window' for any temporary replacement.... This could be useful for both sides. Zemlak has been mentioned and might be a competent replacement in the short term

Gazza272

nmase20 said:
Earnie said:
Don't quite get it.
Was he their No. 1? Can't pinch him. What was he in Hull last year?
No he played back up for Ben Bowns, but has now been pushed off the roster as they have signed 11 imports already.

The article below says that he can't play against hull in sundays CC game... does anyone understand why that would be??

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... z2eaCZlCA5

I'm guessing he is registered to the Stingrays and they have agreed we can have him on loan and in the same way premiership players cannot play against their parent club on loan we have the same situation here. Fair enough to be honest.

I have to say it's a decent signing at this stage for the outlay. Fair play to G and Franny.

DevilDom

Hmmm. Not sure what to make of this tbh.

With those stats part of me thinks we would be better off giving Joe the experience. On the other hand if he gives even a slightly better chance of winning games whilst LaCosta is out I guess we have to take it. Its not like there are loads of top goalies sat on their heals and available and willing to take a 2 week contract I guess!

Skippy

DevilDom said:
With those stats part of me thinks we would be better off giving Joe the experience. On the other hand if he gives even a slightly better chance of winning games whilst LaCosta is out I guess we have to take it. Its not like there are loads of top goalies sat on their heals and available and willing to take a 2 week contract I guess!
You've seen Hulls D right ? :D

Think this is a good move, all due respect to Joe but I'm glad we've got someone in.

Gazza272

DevilDom said:
Hmmm. Not sure what to make of this tbh.

I think the Team's attitude during the game was quite clear they had done all they could for Joe but he isnt a goalie that is going to be able to steal a game on his own with out a lot of help.

I think Blais will remedy that to a point.

James said:
Max Beerbarrell said:
Great stats

:?
compared to who ?
Wasn't comparing him to anyone. Just taking them for what they were they don't particularly inspire me.

I think it was DevilDom (I may be wrong) who said he'd be tempted to give the experience to Joe and I'd be inclined to agree. Alternatively (and I'm sure G & Franny explored all the other alternatives), what is Nathan Craze up to these days?

Welshy74

Max Beerbarrell said:
James said:
Max Beerbarrell said:
Great stats

:?
compared to who ?
Wasn't comparing him to anyone. Just taking them for what they were they don't particularly inspire me.

I think it was DevilDom (I may be wrong) who said he'd be tempted to give the experience to Joe and I'd be inclined to agree. Alternatively (and I'm sure G & Franny explored all the other alternatives), what is Nathan Craze up to these days?

Think its what we call being stuck between a rock and a hard place!! :? Damned if you and damned if you dont

Ocko

Why would you give Joe the experience? Lets get some perspective here, joe isn't a 18 year old who will one day be between the pipes for the devils, in that case yes give him the experience but he isn't. He turns 27 this season and is here purely as a back up, he isn't like Harding or CJ who came through the ENL as outstanding youngsters, correct me if I'm wrong I don't think he's ever been a starting goalie at ENL. I respect joe's position on the team and it is a difficult one but playing him 'for the experience' could destroy what could be a promising season.