An evening with Dave Simms

ASHIPP

Jones72 said:
Why not an evening with Biznasty, while he's over here? We had a Hockey101 event some years ago. Awesome it was too. Biznasty talking about the NHL experience? I'd fork out money for that.
Now you are talking :D Folks would pay money for that, especially as he may only be here for a short time. Steelers do well with their player evenings.............although I dont know if that has a charge, or is organised through the SSSC.

Twinkle said:
Boy,there are some miserable people on here !! I am not a fan of DS but he has offered to come down here for an evening, with Red Army Travel organizing it and to donate all of the money to future Devils and all most of you can do is slag him off !! DS may not be peoples favourite person but he has been involved in this sport before the Devils existed and will have some great stories from years gone by. If you don't want to go don't but don't also hide behind your keyboards, if you dislike the way he does things instead of whinging behind your keyboard why not go, see what makes him tick, he may suprise you.
Hide behind keyboards? What because we don't want to give money to some opinionated idiot who's never played a game of hockey in his life? I will happily give money to juniors, but pay to hear what he has to say? Thanks but no thanks.

Jones72

Twinkle said:
If you don't want to go don't but don't also hide behind your keyboards, if you dislike the way he does things instead of whinging behind your keyboard why not go, see what makes him tick, he may suprise you.
:DWD

Who's hiding behind a keyboard? My surname is in my username and I walk around the rink on game nights with my name (Jones) and number (72) on my back.

:roll:

KaneDevils

Jones72 said:
Twinkle said:
If you don't want to go don't but don't also hide behind your keyboards, if you dislike the way he does things instead of whinging behind your keyboard why not go, see what makes him tick, he may suprise you.
:DWD

Who's hiding behind a keyboard? My surname is in my username and I walk around the rink on game nights with my name (Jones) and number (72) on my back.

:roll:
Deceptively clever. I always thought you were the one who had Smith46 on your shirt.
Well we all hide behind a keyboard to some extent I suppose. Is Twinkle your real name? :shock:

ASHIPP

Twinkle said:
Boy,there are some miserable people on here !! I am not a fan of DS but he has offered to come down here for an evening, with Red Army Travel organizing it and to donate all of the money to future Devils and all most of you can do is slag him off !! DS may not be peoples favourite person but he has been involved in this sport before the Devils existed and will have some great stories from years gone by. If you don't want to go don't but don't also hide behind your keyboards, if you dislike the way he does things instead of whinging behind your keyboard why not go, see what makes him tick, he may suprise you.
We`re not miserable people - just people made miserable by the prospect of that idiot coming to Cardiff! Granted there are probably people who find him entertaining but for every one of them, there will be several more who cannot tolerate his unprofessionalism and bias. He rarely has anything positive to say about the Cardiff Devils and is often rude and disparaging to their fans and about their fans. As for knowledge of the sport, .........Don Cherry he aint and never will be. :lol: And we all know what makes him tick....it`s his ego.

I cringe every time I think that our PR had to tolerate that self-appointed `ambassador´ of the Steelers`organisation. ThankGod no more.

BTW, Shipp is actually my surname so no anonymous whinging here!

Fubar

The name's Jed, and Mr Simms can "do one" if he thinks i would pay to hear his drivel. I would gladly pay if we sponsored an event "An evening WITHOUT Dave Simms" - unfortunately Carlsberg dont do charitable events.

And besides...i already own a house, why would i want another?

Paul Sullivan

David has supported the All Star charity weekend with one of these evenings before and if you speak to the (equally skeptical) fans of Hull and other locations where he has attended, they will tell you a lot of their preconceptions got shot down.

Love him or loathe him, UK hockey's version of marmite does have a lot of great tales to tell and for those saying they don't want to give him their money, well you won't be. You'll be giving it to the juniors, administered by Red Army Travel.

Totally understand that not everyone will want to attend, but these events certainly don't leave the audience bored.

Quite often the more people who want to catch him out / heckle in the room, the better :D

E.D.S.

Appreciate it's for a good cause but I've got to agree with some of the posters on here who would rather hear from a player than a self proclaimed expert/pundit/journalist.
I genuinely believe he'd get more out of it it in terms of an ego boost than anybody else would.
Get Biz, Deeds or Max and I'll be there (or at least I'll donate if I can't make it).

ASHIPP

Fubar said:
The name's Jed, and Mr Simms can "do one" if he thinks i would pay to hear his drivel. I would gladly pay if we sponsored an event "An evening WITHOUT Dave Simms" - unfortunately Carlsberg dont do charitable events.

And besides...i already own a house, why would i want another?

:lol: :lol: A candidate for Post of the Year

wildthing74

I understand people's views and appreciate he is not everybodies cup of tea,hell I've hated him at times over the years for things he has said but the bottom line for me he has been around UK hockey longer than nearly anybody in EIHL and no doubt has tales to tell that I think justifies giving him a forum and I think it would be fun to hear those stories.
On the point of players speaking,would they be comfortable in doing so and be able to do it for several hours.Have they been around UK long enough to have stories we can relate to and would they want these tales leaving the room.I really woundn't know?
I understand the dislike for the guy but nobody hates him more than Nottingham and yet they gave him a chance and friends of mine from there said it was a great night as did friends from Hull.
Please see it for what it is and it's just a way to raise funds for future Devils and people are welcome to come along and challenge his views or even if people support the event by buying a ticket and not coming you are still helping the juniors.
I will go with an open mind and give him a chance I just hope a lot of others do too.
Thanks

I will support the DCF 100% but I would rather crap into my own hands then clap then pay money for anything that involved him. I turn the sound down on highlights as it is when hes talking. ;:| I'd rather just stick the ticket price in a collection tub if he's the only option.

I think its a great idea doing 'an evening with' but surely you can find someone better that would appeal to a broader range of Devils fans. I would much rather listen to guys who could share their experiences of the sport both on and off the ice and draw on that experience to inform and entertain, rather than going the amateur biased controversial route Simms does.

Get Brad Voth back over and have him,G and Poper doing the same thing or similar to them. That in my opinion would be far more relevant to Devils fans. :idea:

Gazza272

Dont forget though folks this is the PERFECT opportunity to go and ask Dave a Plethora of questions from over the years.

That in and of itself makes this worth it IMO.

DevilDom

Really torn on this. Whilst I can't stand the man I can see both sides of the argument and think it could be a great way to make some money for the DCF.

One side of me says I don't want to give the man the attention he so craves whilst the other says go down and give him some stick for all the crap he has said about the Devils, our fans and Welsh people in general over the years I've been watching.

DevilDom said:
Really torn on this. Whilst I can't stand the man I can see both sides of the argument and think it could be a great way to make some money for the DCF.

One side of me says I don't want to give the man the attention he so craves whilst the other says go down and give him some stick for all the crap he has said about the Devils, our fans and Welsh people in general over the years I've been watching.
Exactly the same for me but i think i will give the chap a chance whats the worst that can happen ??

ASHIPP

Spearsy said:
DevilDom said:

Exactly the same for me but i think i will give the chap a chance whats the worst that can happen ??

He believes he´s the new Scotty Bowman?!

ASHIPP said:
Spearsy said:
DevilDom said:

He believes he´s the new Scotty Bowman?!
After recent events i think this is more up his street ..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_King_(boxing_promoter)

Should I assume this evening would be rated as an "18"... Adults only.

Only referring to the type of language that might be used of course :) and therefore would not be suitable for "Mini Tyke Devil"?

I think I would pop along for this. I've not seen a bad word on any forum in respect of the entertainment value of these "evenings with....". Love him or hate him I think it would be an enjoyable night out.

And if he is agreeing to this with all the proceeds going to junior development then I can't really see the harm....and TBH I have been less than supportive of Mr Simms in the past.